Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

metallic noise under car and whirring noise as i drive

ROCKYFiestta

i made a right turn very slowly onto my drive way and i got this metallic noise/metal scraping noise (almost like a heat shield that is rattling/being scraped by something. is this cv joint? also i am hearing this strange noise that at first i thought wheel bearing but i just put on snow tires also it is like a whirring noise that increases the faster i go. the whirring noise did not happen until i went to a snow tire ( blizzaks). the other metallic scraping noise was there before and after the tires where changed. any thoughts or is it time to take her in for a look?[scratch][sad]

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #2
none of the boots are torn/damaged and all the heat shields are intact.

also the metallic scraping noise only happens literally when i come to my driveway every time on the road during any turn slow or fast it does not do it.

the whirring noise however happens all the time starting at about 30 mph and on ( but again i just got new snow tires put on and i never had blizzaks before so i dont know if they are typically this noisy?)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Difficult to tell what it is without actually hearing it and being able to tell which part of the car the noise is originating from. That said, these are my initial thoughts...

...the metallic scraping noise only happens literally when i come to my driveway every time on the road during any turn slow or fast it does not do it...
Not sure if it's the same sound, but due to the long and low front hood, my car used to make a similar noise every single time I tried to back out of my driveway while facing into it. Didn't matter what angle I approached...and at times it would scrape going in. However, backing into my driveway wasn't a problem.

Again without hearing it, the whirring is difficult to narrow down too. I haven't used snow tires a lot being primarily in an area where it only really snows at high altitudes. However I do remember them making a lot of noise when I did. The studs can make plenty of noise though less noticeable at slow speeds but it really gets loud and noticeble above 30 mph.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

The whirring noise is the snow tires. They have an aggressive pattern and will be noiser than summer or all season tires. For the other sound, jack the car up in the front, put it in neutral- and rotate the tires and turn the wheel and see if anything is rubbing.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #5
ok so i definitely pinpointed the METALLIC SOUND. It is coming from my driver side rear. only thing that comes to mind is the spring? [confused] when i make the tight right turn it makes the noise more so when i have weight like alot of groceries in the trunk.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
ok so i definitely pinpointed the METALLIC SOUND. It is coming from my driver side rear. only thing that comes to mind is the spring? [confused] when i make the tight right turn it makes the noise more so when i have weight like alot of groceries in the trunk.
Did you ever get this sorted? I'm getting a metallic rattling in the same corner. Haven't found a loose heat shield yet.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #7
lol no I never got this sorted out it still does it when I turn into my dirt driveway that is uphill. I also checked all the heatshields all are on tight and it definitely is coming from the ass end of the car. only thing that comes to mind is are my coil springs fubar?? It all started a year ago when I loaded 4 50lb bags of chicken feed in the trunk, it also is more prone to doing it when I have weight back there even a grocery run makes it happen every time I turn in to the driveway. I am waiting until I move in a few months to my other home that is off a paved road I figured I will just do a shock lowering spring swap to it and hope I never have to hear it again.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My rear springs twist and settle some under slow suspension movement. It could be you collapsed the upper isolators. They are cheap material that degrades pretty easy.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I was getting an odd wah wah wah whirring sound at very low speed that wound up being "something with the axles", dealership did not give me more info than that.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^ i really dislike when dealerships do that. Why nit just say this part went bad. We replaced it. So the owner knows what to look for. Maybe they just assume we're idiots or something.

My rear springs twist and settle some under slow suspension movement. It could be you collapsed the upper isolators. They are cheap material that degrades pretty easy.
Just wanted to add to this - very possible. I found one or two cars (Focus or Fiesta non-ST, been some time) with spring isolators that happened to be slipping out, so something to be aware of.

Okay, so im new here, but im glad to have come across this, cuz I specifically get a rear end metallic scraping noise like the rotor has a horrendous lip and is catching the heat shield over and over

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Okay, so im new here, but im glad to have come across this, cuz I specifically get a rear end metallic scraping noise like the rotor has a horrendous lip and is catching the heat shield over and over
Is it constant or intermittent? I've had a rock get stuck behind a dust shield before and it was a terrible sound. Also, our brakes don't have "squealers" so the only sound to tell you your brakes are gone is metal-on-metal.

Is it constant or intermittent? I've had a rock get stuck behind a dust shield before and it was a terrible sound. Also, our brakes don't have "squealers" so the only sound to tell you your brakes are gone is metal-on-metal.
Definitely fresh pads and rotors, still made the noise. It really is that intermittent unfortunately. It seems to happen specifically when turning, however not sure if its only one direction. But extremely random

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Check your center nut on the spindle. Maybe its loose ans causing some play?

Definitely fresh pads and rotors, still made the noise. It really is that intermittent unfortunately. It seems to happen specifically when turning, however not sure if its only one direction. But extremely random
That's one hint at a possible wheel/hub bearing failing. If you're turning one way and get less/no noise and turning the other way is the opposite (more noise) is one diagnostic step I was taught when it comes to bearing noise - bear in mind that it's best to have someone inspect/diagnose it in person.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That's one hint at a possible wheel/hub bearing failing. If you're turning one way and get less/no noise and turning the other way is the opposite (more noise) is one diagnostic step I was taught when it comes to bearing noise - bear in mind that it's best to have someone inspect/diagnose it in person.
I FOUND MY METALLIC RATTLE.

I put the car up on ramps and tapped the heat shields with a mallet, found a place towards the rear that was just barely bent and touching the frame - at certain RPM's or when the chassis twisted it was just enough to make noise - I bent it back out and so many weird little sounds are gone.