Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Comparing the latest Stratified vs. Dizzy stage 1 93 octane tunes

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Really nice review both of these or very solid tuners I had stratified E30 flash when I was running my stock turbo now that I've switched to the x 37 I'm being tuned by Ryan at PT tuning just because I didn't want to deal with the crazy wait times with stratified. Another thing I've noticed it seems a some of you guys are very picky and finicky when it comes to some of this stuff like getting extremely detailed about how a certain teen behaves and stuff like that if you want your car dialed in that much to your liking I would suggest going for a custom tune they are better anyways I wouldn't mess around with the flash tune and just get a custom tune you will make the most power possible with your fuel and you can have them make it drive the way you want although my stratified tune drove excellent and there was literally no rev hang it fixed it to the point where my wife drove it and she noticed that the Rev hang wasn't there and she doesn't even really know what rev hang is she just said that the RPM is fell a lot faster when you press the clutch in between years and I was actually pretty surprised that she even noticed it
Sorry, didn't mean to be overly picky, I was just trying to compare the two tunes in flash form as a lot of people don't want to go the custom route, and I was trying to imply that in my post with my thoughts on what I would ask for on each from a custom revision too... But with stock turbo, honestly, it's not like a custom tune is going to give you TONS more power, I think it's more about getting the little things that are bugging you more dialed in. At this point, before I drop any more money on custom tuning I'd be happy if Stratified just fixed the rev hang that everyone else doesn't seem to have, otherwise it has surprisingly settled in smoother than it was before I had the colder plugs too, so that's a pleasant surprise!

SrsBsns

Dan, it's your fault that I'm now $70 lighter...

Just ordered the Stratified tune.

Thanks for the comparisons. As soon as I get it, I'll post up my initial reactions. Right now, also based on our talks, I'm running the Cobb Stage 2 OTS, so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Dan, it's your fault that I'm now $70 lighter...

Just ordered the Stratified tune.

Thanks for the comparisons. As soon as I get it, I'll post up my initial reactions. Right now, also based on our talks, I'm running the Cobb Stage 2 OTS, so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
Funny you mention Cobb OTS stage 2, Stratified had me try an OTS tune as part of trying to figure out the rev hang and I can safely say that anyone with at least step colder plugs can run stage 2 safely as they use lots of timing vs. crazy high boost to make decent power but still the Stratified tune lays waste to it in responsiveness! :)

Not sure why but the latest Stratified 4.00 revision is not as good as my 3.10 revision. I have gone back to 3.10.
Strictly by the seat of my pants comparison the 3.10 rev is stronger and faster. Most noticeable difference is in the upper rpm range.
Rev 3.10 pulls hard all the way to fuel/spark cut, rev 4.0 falls flat after 5k rpms. Boost,temperature,HP,Torque,AFR, are all about the same
between the two revisions. Rev 4.00 might be safer and more refined I'm not really sure but it was a little bit of a let down for me.

Not sure why but the latest Stratified 4.00 revision is not as good as my 3.10 revision. I have gone back to 3.10.
Strictly by the seat of my pants comparison the 3.10 rev is stronger and faster. Most noticeable difference is in the upper rpm range.
Rev 3.10 pulls hard all the way to fuel/spark cut, rev 4.0 falls flat after 5k rpms. Boost,temperature,HP,Torque,AFR, are all about the same
between the two revisions. Rev 4.00 might be safer and more refined I'm not really sure but it was a little bit of a let down for me.
I have also gone back to 3.10 for exactly the same reasons.

Alrighty so I really really do appreciate this thread !! I am looking at eather company just for a flash tune with crackles. Has anyone found a difference between the companies with that?

This will be my first time ever getting a tune for a vehicle. And I am a little apprehensive between which one I should go for.

This thread has helped and I look forward to reading more posts comparing the two so I can make a more accurate decision. [:o]

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
I have also gone back to 3.10 for exactly the same reasons.
So since I started this thread, I have learned a LOT more about tuning and honestly, not only do I think Stratified pushes peak boost a little too high which hurts higher RPM performance. Also, if you ignore Cobb's BS "requirements" for their stages, you would see that Stratified offers not much more than different throttle tuning when you are comparing stock turbo tunes. All stock turbo tunes are going to have the same amount of boost through the powerband at the same WGDC, etc, there won't be much actual power difference. With Dizzy V2, you clearly get better torque while definitely feeling much more smooth and refined as well, so for a flash stock turbo tune I feel that really only Dizzy now is worth buying over just running Cobb OTS stage 2/3, with only really an IC upgrade being needed for their stage 3.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Alrighty so I really really do appreciate this thread !! I am looking at eather company just for a flash tune with crackles. Has anyone found a difference between the companies with that?

This will be my first time ever getting a tune for a vehicle. And I am a little apprehensive between which one I should go for.

This thread has helped and I look forward to reading more posts comparing the two so I can make a more accurate decision. [:o]
Check out my last post, there isn't much difference in power once you get over the fact that Cobb's Stage requirements are BS, there isn't much power differences at all when talking stock turbo, but I do recommend Dizzy for giving such a refined, smooth and yet powerful tune. He offers the crackles and pops tune, but personally I'd consider a resonator delete and a glasspack instead of muffler and you'll get plenty of naturally pops and gurgles but if you insist on being obnoxious then add DizzyPop option to your Dizzy tune.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Since I have Dizzy e30, finally got a good datalog and vDyno for it the other day. Even with all my mount upgrades and traction bar I was still having traction issues on a dry road with stock all season tires having a full 300 ft/lb of torque, and that is full SAE corrected! I went to just do a few chores last night and found myself taking the long way and intentionally missing my exits off the freeway just to drive it more, just an absolute blast in the dry cold on e30 even with a stock turbo! :)

Non-corrected but accurate weight, even a little off tire size for wear.
e30_n0SAE_smoothing2.jpg

Full SAE corrected with barometric pressure and temp, still 300ft/lbs!
e30_SAE_smoothng2.jpg

Check out my last post, there isn't much difference in power once you get over the fact that Cobb's Stage requirements are BS, there isn't much power differences at all when talking stock turbo, but I do recommend Dizzy for giving such a refined, smooth and yet powerful tune. He offers the crackles and pops tune, but personally I'd consider a resonator delete and a glasspack instead of muffler and you'll get plenty of naturally pops and gurgles but if you insist on being obnoxious then add DizzyPop option to your Dizzy tune.
I have a res delete currently as the only mod to my exhaust as of now.. never heard of a glass pack?? Hmm.. also is there the choice to do slightly quieter pops with dizzy vs stratified progressive pops?

So far with all your imput you seem to recommend dizzy and i look forward to continuing to read your posts. Always hear all the hype about stratified not so much dizzy.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
I have a res delete currently as the only mod to my exhaust as of now.. never heard of a glass pack?? Hmm.. also is there the choice to do slightly quieter pops with dizzy vs stratified progressive pops?

So far with all your imput you seem to recommend dizzy and i look forward to continuing to read your posts. Always hear all the hype about stratified not so much dizzy.
Dizzy is really popular on the FB groups, I always say is worth a fake name account for the private groups alone... Anyway, glasspack is what the also used to call a "cherry bomb", a straight through resonator type muffler with fiberglass packed on the inside, makes any exhaust sound deeper, and adds pops and gurgles while shifting, varying naturally by shift RPM. As an older dude for this car I decided to leave the stock resonator in and try this first and it is plenty loud and deep, perfect to go along with the symposer delete. With a res delete already, I'm sure it would add even more natural pops and gurgles... But yes, Dizzy has the option of which minimum RPM to hit before it's triggered and the intensity. They simply change the timing up a bit to intentionally have a controlled back fire. You'll need at least a high flow cat upgrade, the stock system has too high of a cell count that it's susceptible to damage but a high flow cat with 2/3 fewer cells can handle the sound waves. I don't believe in catless downpipes, especially since they add such little power on a stock turbo, but they definitely work as well.

Video of my exhaust, also has a 9" resonated tip. phone mic doesn't pick up the deep tone that great, but imagine it with some bass to it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MfeVFKUYFxdRTiYq8

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Since I have Dizzy e30, finally got a good datalog and vDyno for it the other day. Even with all my mount upgrades and traction bar I was still having traction issues on a dry road with stock all season tires having a full 300 ft/lb of torque, and that is full SAE corrected! I went to just do a few chores last night and found myself taking the long way and intentionally missing my exits off the freeway just to drive it more, just an absolute blast in the dry cold on e30 even with a stock turbo! :)
I have access to E85 and plan to run E30 for track days but would want to stick with the OTS stage 2 91 tune for commuting. How easy is it to switch tunes (I haven't used a Cobb AP before)?

Dizzy is really popular on the FB groups, I always say is worth a fake name account for the private groups alone... Anyway, glasspack is what the also used to call a "cherry bomb", a straight through resonator type muffler with fiberglass packed on the inside, makes any exhaust sound deeper, and adds pops and gurgles while shifting, varying naturally by shift RPM. As an older dude for this car I decided to leave the stock resonator in and try this first and it is plenty loud and deep, perfect to go along with the symposer delete. With a res delete already, I'm sure it would add even more natural pops and gurgles... But yes, Dizzy has the option of which minimum RPM to hit before it's triggered and the intensity. They simply change the timing up a bit to intentionally have a controlled back fire. You'll need at least a high flow cat upgrade, the stock system has too high of a cell count that it's susceptible to damage but a high flow cat with 2/3 fewer cells can handle the sound waves. I don't believe in catless downpipes, especially since they add such little power on a stock turbo, but they definitely work as well.

Video of my exhaust, also has a 9" resonated tip. phone mic doesn't pick up the deep tone that great, but imagine it with some bass to it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MfeVFKUYFxdRTiYq8
Oh!! Thank you for adding to my inventory of knowledge! I will have to look up one of those types. And I shall take a look at the video!

Here's my video of my little green monster https://youtu.be/tjgGb72tLx8

do you think a person would need to buy a new flash tune with Each and Every single small mod they do??

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Everyone has an opinion but I will say there are plenty of people that have the crackle and pop tunes with stock downpipes. There's no thread here started about blowing up the cat with them and I think that speaks for itself.
I believe it's very important to read information from a large number of people to get a true understanding.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
I have access to E85 and plan to run E30 for track days but would want to stick with the OTS stage 2 91 tune for commuting. How easy is it to switch tunes (I haven't used a Cobb AP before)?
It takes about one minute to choose the other map and flash it. Since the ethanol mixed in so quickly, it just takes about five minutes for it to reach the engine as it uses up what's in the lines already, you just drive it somewhat easy that first five minutes, nothing too drastic in the tunes to worry about during that time. It's very good for your engine in general in helping keep valves clean and once you try it and see just how impressive performance is you will likely want to run it than for just track days. :)

I have decided and went with a dizzy tune. That being said.. I am getting headaches trying to figure out launch control. How do I figure out which map im in?? I've looked at the cob tuning videos and try there process but it's just not activating

I have decided and went with a dizzy tune. That being said.. I am getting headaches trying to figure out launch control. How do I figure out which map im in?? I've looked at the cob tuning videos and try there process but it's just not activating
Like Dizzy Tuning on Facebook and he has a video showing how to do it. It's simple once you get it down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

anticon

You can see the map you are on by going into the AP tune menu and the third item down shows you the last tune loaded.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
Oh!! Thank you for adding to my inventory of knowledge! I will have to look up one of those types. And I shall take a look at the video!

Here's my video of my little green monster https://youtu.be/tjgGb72tLx8

do you think a person would need to buy a new flash tune with Each and Every single small mod they do??
OK, with stock turbo, no, don't need a bunch of revisions, in fact Dizzy has one e30 tune for stock turbo, period... As far as launch control, think you have to be in 1st with the clutch in, but I haven't used it much at all since I switched to Dizzy. I know you want like soft cut at 2750, hardcut at 3000 so you can build a little boost but also not spin too much. We make a lot of torque, some people don't understand that and wonder why our launch control isn't set higher, and that's because we would get far too much wheel slip anyway.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Like Dizzy Tuning on Facebook and he has a video showing how to do it. It's simple once you get it down.
So Steve (@Anitcon) told you how to see which tune you are on, but from there you have up to 5 map slots that you access through cruise control CAN/RES button, I'm pretty sure for both Cobb and Dizzy Map 1 is high performance and Map 2 is low boost... But just make sure you hook up the AP to your computer and use the AP Manager software to load which tunes you want on it, it will hold a dozen or more I believe...