Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

vuduu drain plug leaking

ROCKYFiestta

anybody else using one these drain plugs. i found several drops that are coming from the drain plug. never had this happen with the stock plug just wondering if anybody else got this issue as well. might just go back to stock and forget about it unless somebody has a crafty solution.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I had a Mishimoto oil pan drain plug (huge, like 24mm hex on it) which I could not get to stop leaking, regardless of the type, or size of the washer used with it, so I dumped it, and got an exact size Dimple drain plug with the identical EPDM inset type washer as the factory plug.

It's been perfect ever since after 4 oil changes so far. ;)

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Surface must be clean and the bolt needs to be pretty tight
It's an aluminum crush washer

There really is no trick to it, Ive been using this type of drain plug since 2006 for my Mazdaspeed and have never leaked a drop.

All of my German cars used them as well

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Surface must be clean and the bolt needs to be pretty tight
It's an aluminum crush washer

There really is no trick to it, Ive been using this type of drain plug since 2006 for my Mazdaspeed and have never leaked a drop.

All of my German cars used them as well
I think the only "trick" is that you should plan on replacing the crush washer each oil change. Once they're compressed, you're more likely to get leaks if you try to reuse them.

me32

1000 Post Club
I think the only "trick" is that you should plan on replacing the crush washer each oil change. Once they're compressed, you're more likely to get leaks if you try to reuse them.
If that's the case why not stick with the stock plug.

me32

1000 Post Club
anybody else using one these drain plugs. i found several drops that are coming from the drain plug. never had this happen with the stock plug just wondering if anybody else got this issue as well. might just go back to stock and forget about it unless somebody has a crafty solution.
Can i ask why you changed from the stock plug?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
that's usually the case when the surface is not flat, is this case of the Fiesta oil pan and most Automotive pans, the surface is flat
I'm on change #3 with my Project Kics plug, same washer. I would doubt there are any significant differences the material used between the Project Kics washer vs. the VUDU

green_henry

1000 Post Club
that's usually the case when the surface is not flat, is this case of the Fiesta oil pan and most Automotive pans, the surface is flat
I'm on change #3 with my Project Kics plug, same washer. I would doubt there are any significant differences the material used between the Project Kics washer vs. the VUDU
My recommendation is based on my past experience with Hondas. The drain plug on my TSX was very close to the rounded edge of the pan, so you have a good point there, Ron. Couldn't hurt to change it, though; they're cheap; worth a try.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Can i ask why you changed from the stock plug?
I changed mine ONLY because of the powerful, high heat resistant, neodymium magnet (supposedly the strongest of any used by any other drain plug manufacturers) inserted into it to catch any break-in/wear 'fines' (or heaven forbid; large pieces, lifter parts, etc.) circulating past it in the oil.

If it weren't for that feature, I would have stuck with the factory drain plug. ;)

me32

1000 Post Club
I think the vuduu plug has a magnet fwiw
I notice that. But I don't think having to change a washer on every oil on a newer car is acceptable. Considering the stock plug can be reused for a long time. Maybe a better washer option would be better if leaking is a common issue. I never used a vuduu plug so i personally cant speak for it. I see ron doesnt seem to have an issue but maybe he has some other customers that have similar feedback with the plug.

me32

1000 Post Club
I changed mine ONLY because of the powerful, high heat resistant, neodymium magnet (supposedly the strongest of any used by any other drain plug manufacturers) inserted into it to catch any break-in/wear 'fines' (or heaven forbid; large pieces, lifter parts, etc.) circulating past it in the oil. ;)
Ive used a magnetic plug in the past cars like my 93 Thunderbird 5.0 and my 89 mustang gt 5.0. They would pic up some little metal hear and there. On the new vehicles i never noticed any metal. Oil tends to come out cleaner on the newer cars too lol.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I use the Vudu oil drain plug and mine doesn't leak. Just make sure they're tight. I've been reusing crush washers for years and they never leak on me. I even reuse the plastic ones.

My experience with a drain valve has been uneventful to date. I followed "Breakin 101" ( oil changes @ 100, 400,1000 &5000 miles) and installed a Fumoto ODV at 5000 mil oil change. Since that point I did oil changes at 10K, 15K and 20K and have yet to see a drop of oil escaping, period! True, it does not have a magnet but I hope my early oil changes eliminated the need for one. YMMV

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I use the Vudu oil drain plug and mine doesn't leak. Just make sure they're tight. I've been reusing crush washers for years and they never leak on me. I even reuse the plastic ones.
agree
there isn't a torque spec listed for the plug, maybe there should be
I'll try to put a number to it next time I'm messing with mine

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
My recommendation is based on my past experience with Hondas. The drain plug on my TSX was very close to the rounded edge of the pan, so you have a good point there, Ron. Couldn't hurt to change it, though; they're cheap; worth a try.
these crush washers are cheap
and there is more area than required around the plug for sealing

I would not give up on it
it's not tight enough OP

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Reusing crush washers? [crazyeye] You're playing with fire! LOL It's probably not necessary to change them every time, but that's what Honda recommends. As inexpensive as they are, the margin is probably pretty high, so I'm not surprised that they promote changing them as "best practice"

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Reusing crush washers? [crazyeye] You're playing with fire! LOL It's probably not necessary to change them every time, but that's what Honda recommends. As inexpensive as they are, the margin is probably pretty high, so I'm not surprised that they promote changing them as "best practice"
that's all that VTech kicking in so I'd VCheck the torque on the drain bolt between changes [giggle]

honestly, the supplied crush washer is probably good for the initial install + 1 additional change afterward. Then I'd grab some new washers for replacement

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #20
bought it for the magnet, it was pretty affordable while i was shopping at woosh why i got it i will give it another chance and try a new washer i got another change coming up