Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cheapest way to get +50HP?

Jerickson88

Yeah, even with a traction bar, RMM and passenger side insert I do still get some torque steer but much better controlled now, it is definitely a handful with just an RMM. :)
And that’s all I want. Doesn’t have to be the fastest thing on the street, just fun for me to play around with when we take a trip or take the kids to school.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
And that’s all I want. Doesn’t have to be the fastest thing on the street, just fun for me to play around with when we take a trip or take the kids to school.
Exactly, me as well, I might even just get the eBay special intercooler that's at least 25% bigger and has metal end tanks over stock... but as a suggestion, the passenger side engine mount insert, in street yellow like a pineapple slice, is amazing for $32... it's usually described as an insert you add to the stock rubber ring but if you go to Whoosh to buy it, it shows it as a REPLACEMENT, and I'd actually recommend that: leave out the stock original rubber piece and keep using the stock bolt there, with big power it's recommended to stack both AND upgrade the factory bolt, Ron sells that too, and that's what I did, BUT if I was to do it all over again I'd just replace and use stock bolt... I still haven't done the driver side/trans mount insert yet, some say that the car feels wrong until you do both sides, I'm not seeing that at all and can safely recommend just the passenger side as a huge gain in traction and minimizing torque steer... I did the TB Performance traction bar too, paid the regular price of $129 and then less than a week later there was a group buy through the FB group and went down to $89... oh well, it helps with traction and torque steer quite a bit as well too.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Exactly, me as well, I might even just get the eBay special intercooler that's at least 25% bigger and has metal end tanks over stock... but as a suggestion, the passenger side engine mount insert, in street yellow like a pineapple slice, is amazing for $32... it's usually described as an insert you add to the stock rubber ring but if you go to Whoosh to buy it, it shows it as a REPLACEMENT, and I'd actually recommend that: leave out the stock original rubber piece.
that's bad advice and incorrect, it also renders the insert useless without the stock rubber ring in place as designed and intended by Powerflex. Whoosh has made an error in their description with contradictions.

"This urethane insert simply replaces the stock rubber ring with a stiffer urethane piece. You do not have to remove the whole arm to install (but the engine must be supported). Simply pop these into place for an easy and hassle-free upgrade. The stiffer urethane works with the stock rubber to reduce movement and deflection. Inserts are an effective way of reducing engine and transmission movement, improving power delivery and sharpening gear shifting. Inserts can also prolong the life of the stock bushing now that it cannot flex as much."

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
that's bad advice and incorrect, it also renders the insert useless without the stock rubber ring in place as designed and intended by Powerflex. Whoosh has made an error in their description with contradictions.

"This urethane insert simply replaces the stock rubber ring with a stiffer urethane piece. You do not have to remove the whole arm to install (but the engine must be supported). Simply pop these into place for an easy and hassle-free upgrade. The stiffer urethane works with the stock rubber to reduce movement and deflection. Inserts are an effective way of reducing engine and transmission movement, improving power delivery and sharpening gear shifting. Inserts can also prolong the life of the stock bushing now that it cannot flex as much."

I'm sorry just ran across this
Our site description was actually copied over from Powerflex, not written on our own. We will certainly correct the wording though as you are correct!

koozy

3000 Post Club
Our site description was actually copied over from Powerflex, not written on our own. We will certainly correct the wording though as you are correct!
[thumb]

I totally understand with the number of products you're carrying for the platform and rely on mfg. to at least get their own product descriptions right.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

This is good to know! You would think that Powerflex would have it right but at the same time I REALLY don't see why you couldn't when the replacement poly is thicker and strong than the factory one to begin with... Anyway, I did do it as an insert with the bolt upgrade but the vibes are pretty dang strong and really it makes sense that it should be OK as a replacement when it's thicker and stronger than the original and PowerFlex site still says it's a replacement too, not sure why suddenly this is all wrong and bad advice but am open ears!

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
This is good to know! You would think that Powerflex would have it right but at the same time I REALLY don't see why you couldn't when the replacement poly is thicker and strong than the factory one to begin with... Anyway, I did do it as an insert with the bolt upgrade but the vibes are pretty dang strong and really it makes sense that it should be OK as a replacement when it's thicker and stronger than the original and PowerFlex site still says it's a replacement too, not sure why suddenly this is all wrong and bad advice but am open ears!
wording has been updated and Instruction link added
thanks all!

koozy

3000 Post Club
The insert works by effectively occupying space and not allowing the mount to move compared to not having an insert. The Powerflex insert also has a slit to allow installation by slipping it in, hence why they include a rubber band. It was not designed as a replacement. The only way to replace the rubber ring is to take the mount apart, which Powerflex does not get into. The reason people are taking apart their mounts is because Whoosh has made a stronger center bolt available. Now imagine in the image bellow if either the insert or the OE rubber ring were missing, It would move more than having both in place. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The insert works by effectively occupying space and not allowing the mount to move compared to not having an insert. The Powerflex insert also has a slit to allow installation by slipping it in, hence why they include a rubber band. It was not designed as a replacement. The only way to replace the rubber ring is to take the mount apart, which Powerflex does not get into. The reason people are taking apart their mounts is because Whoosh has made a stronger center bolt available. Now imagine in the image bellow if either the insert or the OE rubber ring were missing, It would move more than having both in place. Hope that makes sense. Also, before anyone goes using the image below is a mock up for their own install... note that the Powerflex is upside down in the photo. The textured side should be right side up, not like in the photo.
So installation slit aside, you should use a zip tie anyway as the rubber band does not work at ALL, the bottom-line is the poly ring is too slick/slippery for it to work by itself? Is this the one that gets lubed anyway or is that for the driver/trans mount insert only? I haven't done that side yet and for this passenger side I made sure to have the grooves matching too and didn't lube... I'm just saying that if PowerFlex says it's a replacement and it's thicker and stronger than the stock rubber there, there has to be a good reason why it couldn't be used by itself and that would make sense if it is supposed to have friction from regular rubber and the poly is far too smooth and slick for that...

koozy

3000 Post Club
based on end user experiences the rubber band does not take well to the surrounding heat and deteriorates. A zip tie, wire tie, etc would probably be better at keeping the insert in place.

Lube is not necessary, some put it as a preference to prevent any possible squeaks and noises. As far as debating whether it's an insert or replacement, I give up. If you believe and say it's a replacement, you win, it's a replacement. [raceflag]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It's most definitely an insert not a replacement. I mean hell on their UK website it has it listed as a insert and shows you inserting it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
based on end user experiences the rubber band does not take well to the surrounding heat and deteriorates. A zip tie, wire tie, etc would probably be better at keeping the insert in place.

Lube is not necessary, some put it as a preference to prevent any possible squeaks and noises. As far as debating whether it's an insert or replacement, I give up. If you believe and say it's a replacement, you win, it's a replacement. [raceflag]
Well, PowerFlex's own wording is confusing, they say "replaces parts #" and "replaces" in the description but also that "works with the stock rubber" too... but I'm glad I stacked them in there with upgraded bolt for the performance reasons, I still believe it could very well be used on it's own for less vibes, but thought that there was maybe a good reason you reacted so strongly like it's been done and was bad or something. No worries, always happy to hear different opinions man, cheers!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It's most definitely an insert not a replacement. I mean hell on their UK website it has it listed as a insert and shows you inserting it.
It most definitely can be used on it's own. It's thicker and stronger than the stock one and unless you have had it in your hands then you can say for sure, to me it really is quite clear. It's almost like some enthusiast said "hey, I can stack them both in there for even more stiffness" and yeah I did it that way with the street version and it added 10x the vibes of my RMM. So I'm sticking to what's very clear and obvious but doesn't matter, can't change anyone's mind and it's pointless to argue, I just don't like being called out as some idiot when I'm not.

koozy

3000 Post Club
The stock rubber ring is designed to fit perfectly in it's place. Note the difference in the contour of the aluminum shaft. The OE rubber fit's in the rectangle part, while the powerflex fits in the semi-circle rectangle. It's self evident that the powerflex obviously can't simply replace the OE rubber when the powerflex doesn't even fit in its place.

Note the powerflex center cut out is not rectangle, but semi circle and only fits in the lower portion of the shaft. Having just the powerflex insert on the lower portion without the OE rubber on the top portion is pointless and useless.

Here’s the OE rubber with its rectangle center that fits on the rectangle part of the shaft.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It most definitely can be used on it's own. It's thicker and stronger than the stock one and unless you have had it in your hands then you can say for sure, to me it really is quite clear. It's almost like some enthusiast said "hey, I can stack them both in there for even more stiffness" and yeah I did it that way with the street version and it added 10x the vibes of my RMM. So I'm sticking to what's very clear and obvious but doesn't matter, can't change anyone's mind and it's pointless to argue, I just don't like being called out as some idiot when I'm not.
Honestly man I don't have much of a desire to argue with you either because you seem to know everything and always think that you're right when other people tell you that you're wrong. I just tend to ignore most of your post you don't need an intercooler, screw octane ethanol cooling affect, cheap parts, I put these on my car this is exactly what you need because I installed on my car. I don't care what you think because I still remember your little temper tantrum about the whole safety incident with backing up. Koozy knows a lot more than you. I could go on all day but it's pointless you always have your opinion already made up. I'm not the only one that feels this way because I had a discussion with somebody on private messaging and they labeled you as a God that seems to know everything not in a good way.

Jerickson88

Honestly man I don't have much of a desire to argue with you either because you seem to know everything and always think that you're right when other people tell you that you're wrong. I just tend to ignore most of your post you don't need an intercooler, screw octane ethanol cooling affect, cheap parts, I put these on my car this is exactly what you need because I installed on my car. I don't care what you think because I still remember your little temper tantrum about the whole safety incident with backing up. Koozy knows a lot more than you. I could go on all day but it's pointless you always have your opinion already made up. I'm not the only one that feels this way because I had a discussion with somebody on private messaging and they labeled you as a God that seems to know everything not in a good way.

Yowzers [scream]