Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cheapest way to get +50HP?

Jerickson88

FWIW, the whole reason we bought FiSTs is because they're so much fun for the small cash layout. I buy used parts off of members. I research what gains are achieved if any. Most importantly, I realize that this car is pretty maxed-out from the showroom. It's gonna take more $$$ to get it to another level of performance.

Let's be real- if I had turbo 911 money, I wouldn't be dicking around in a economy subcompact... Not that it isnt a great little car.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk
Bingo. Basically an ap3 unlocks what’s already there. FMIC makes it useable.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
87 octane only differs 10HP from 91 octane on the Fiesta ST.
That, is your joke.
I don't know if I believe that, but, by your numbers, you're 20% closer to hitting your 50HP goal by just buying better gas (and better gas is the only way you're gonna to get the other 80%).

I think the stock rims are pretty lightweight already!
Especially compared to the stock 15" rims on my older toyota (steel).
And they're super light compared to a 50# bag of concrete. Point being?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Let's be real- if I had turbo 911 money, I wouldn't be dicking around in a economy subcompact...
You'd be surprised how appealing the ST is as a practical daily when you have a bunch of other toys. It avoids attention and you don't have to put up with the opinions people form about you just from seeing what you drove up in.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I
You'd be surprised how appealing the ST is as a practical daily when you have a bunch of other toys. It avoids attention and you don't have to put up with the opinions people form about you just from seeing what you drove up in.
I don't doubt that one bit. It really is a brilliant little car.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
We have gone down this road before.

PLEASE, play nice.

Dave

jeff

2000 Post Club
Things like this thread is what has killed this forum, it is now dominated by used FiST owners wanting the cheapest Chinese parts and little clue about what they are talking about. And zero regard for people's lungs or long term reliability. Ignorance is shown by anyone that thinks dumping a cat will give them any noticeable power gain....just a very noticeable lack of concern about other people's breathing. I am glad my state does a physical check of cats installed on cars! The owners that bought these cars for long term ownership are backing away like I am as most posts are ads marketing cheap parts and the MODS do nothing about our forum becoming a marketing tool for cheap parts. I ignore the arguing from neophytes that have a used FiST and have become experts in a month on the best cheap parts and how our FiST works. This thread is a prime example of the downhill spiral we are on. This forum has run off the Ford Factory people because of this silliness. Sad, we used to have an informative Forum now we have a place where experienced FiST folks try to educate neophytes and get tired of foul mouthed know it alls. I now read for laughs at them, not to waste my time trying to teach the unteachables. Maybe my asthma and my brothers Polio made me more sensitive to our need to breath than these idiots on this forum. I don't know how many people I have blocked on here.....I know that there are very few I consider competent on our cars. This forum is now more of comedy escape now than useful information. But it does make me laugh over morning coffee!
Great post. I wouldn't agree that this forum is dead, but you make good points. I've been here for 3 years and I've seen an evolution myself, and I'll admit I am part of it to some degree, though I have never claimed to be an expert. I don't necessarily think that all the "original" first or second year members were as you describe....most of the big power people were very happy to go catless. But I certainly agree that the thought and artistic part of modding this car has largely been displaced by the quickest cheapest way to ruin the car, make it unbalanced and unusable on the street, and ruin the environment, not to mention put people in danger because people are driving 120mph on public roads hooning their new turbo or taking 4th gear datalogs to get that extra special tune revision.

As I see it:

2013 Fiesta ST is epic, we have a winner folks, enthusiasts gather...
2014 Cobb and others gather, formulate tiered/"staged" mod goals, give their parts to Matt Farah to review, and make huge profits $$$$...
2015 Market expands, people get smarter about the above, but at the same time the 300HP goal becomes the golden egg and people really get crazy...
2016 By this time many have access to big power, some blow their cars up, others have cars that have big power that is useless under 50mph, lots of dangerous illegal driving ensues...
2017 Cheap parts flood the market, there are now 20 intercoolers available for the FiST, used FiSTs are cheap now so 16 year olds begin to buy them and modify cheaply...
2018 Here we are, many purists have left and moved on to another car, Ford kills the FiST in the USA, and we have threads like this one...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, my little brother is fighting lung cancer and I've been to every appointment/chemo treatment, but even before that I've been a strong supporter of keeping the cat in the exhaust system.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Our cars are the size of Rhinos...

Financially, we are struggling ATM. That’s why I am on 87. Probably really doesn’t make a difference but it feels like 8-10 bucks a week has been a make or break. Maybe I should poke in the 93 and adjust my spendings elsewhere.
I get the whole financial thing. I am fortunate me and the Wife do pretty well. However I don't have cable I think it's a huge waste of money especially since you have to watch commercials streaming is so much better. I rarely ever go out to eat for anything food, snacks, coffee and so on. I do all of my own car repairs, 90% of the home repairs and all of the yardwork. I feel like if you bought everything Society tells you to buy you would have to make $500,000 a year not to go into debt.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

I get the whole financial thing. I am fortunate me and the Wife do pretty well. However I don't have cable I think it's a huge waste of money especially since you have to watch commercials streaming is so much better. I rarely ever go out to eat for anything food, snacks, coffee and so on. I do all of my own car repairs, 90% of the home repairs and all of the yardwork. I feel like if you bought everything Society tells you to buy you would have to make $500,000 a year not to go into debt.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
We are working on thinning the heard so to speak. We double the median income, but the latest phones, two car payments, cable, Starbucks, hockey, and the list goes on. Once the cars are paid off, this fiesta should last me forever. It’s mileage is put on in spurts. 60 a week, maybe less, then a trip.

Jerickson88

That’s why I wanted it. Low key pocket rocket that I could afford.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
.................. we used to have an informative Forum now we have a place where experienced FiST folks try to educate neophytes and get tired of foul mouthed know it alls. I now read for laughs at them, not to waste my time trying to teach the unteachables. Maybe my asthma and my brothers Polio made me more sensitive to our need to breath than these idiots on this forum. I don't know how many people I have blocked on here.....I know that there are very few I consider competent on our cars. This forum is now more of comedy escape now than useful information. But it does make me laugh over morning coffee!
Actually what you describe is the natural progression of most forums that are limited to a given product.

I learned with my previous vehicle, not to replace OEM parts, specifically because of the aftermarket junk that dominates the store and warehouse shelves. If it ain't broke or about to be broke, I don't touch it. My preventative maintenance is limited to tires, fluids and anything that makes a fair amount of uncharacteristic noises.

FWIW, the whole reason we bought FiSTs is because they're so much fun for the small cash layout. I buy used parts off of members. I research what gains are achieved if any. Most importantly, I realize that this car is pretty maxed-out from the showroom. It's gonna take more $$$ to get it to another level of performance.

Let's be real- if I had turbo 911 money, I wouldn't be dicking around in a economy subcompact... Not that it isnt a great little car.
I actually had the opportunity to pay significantly less for a more powerful and larger vehicle. But it was larger. I chose our vehicle for several reasons, but economy wasn't really one of them. Domestic name plate, reliability, size, performance and features were among the top priorities.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Actually what you describe is the natural progression of most forums that are limited to a given product.

I learned with my previous vehicle, not to replace OEM parts, specifically because of the aftermarket junk that dominates the store and warehouse shelves. If it ain't broke or about to be broke, I don't touch it. My preventative maintenance is limited to tires, fluids and anything that makes a fair amount of uncharacteristic noises.

I actually had the opportunity to pay significantly less for a more powerful and larger vehicle. But it was larger. I chose our vehicle for several reasons, but economy wasn't really one of them. Domestic name plate, reliability, size, performance and features were among the top priorities.
Same situation here: I could've bought a used 10 y/o AMG car for less than my humble Fiesta cost. Or even an older 5.0 Coyote Mustang.

I decided I wanted a warranty, and the FiST was getting great reviews. No regrets.

Some of you are starting to sound like the older Bimmer elitists- they believe that their old e36s/e46s must be serviced with only BMW factory parts since only German made parts handled by a guy named Hans would be satisfactory for their $3000, 200k-mile driveway queens. Then they get upset because people end up buying cheap old BMWs and don't want invest big $$$ into beaters.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Great post. I wouldn't agree that this forum is dead, but you make good points. I've been here for 3 years and I've seen an evolution myself, and I'll admit I am part of it to some degree, though I have never claimed to be an expert. I don't necessarily think that all the "original" first or second year members were as you describe....most of the big power people were very happy to go catless. But I certainly agree that the thought and artistic part of modding this car has largely been displaced by the quickest cheapest way to ruin the car, make it unbalanced and unusable on the street, and ruin the environment, not to mention put people in danger because people are driving 120mph on public roads hooning their new turbo or taking 4th gear datalogs to get that extra special tune revision.

As I see it:

2013 Fiesta ST is epic, we have a winner folks, enthusiasts gather...
2014 Cobb and others gather, formulate tiered/"staged" mod goals, give their parts to Matt Farah to review, and make huge profits $$$$...
2015 Market expands, people get smarter about the above, but at the same time the 300HP goal becomes the golden egg and people really get crazy...
2016 By this time many have access to big power, some blow their cars up, others have cars that have big power that is useless under 50mph, lots of dangerous illegal driving ensues...
2017 Cheap parts flood the market, there are now 20 intercoolers available for the FiST, used FiSTs are cheap now so 16 year olds begin to buy them and modify cheaply...
2018 Here we are, many purists have left and moved on to another car, Ford kills the FiST in the USA, and we have threads like this one...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, my little brother is fighting lung cancer and I've been to every appointment/chemo treatment, but even before that I've been a strong supporter of keeping the cat in the exhaust system.
A purist keeps all their cars that they fell in love with....Not keep them for a year then trade it in on the next big thing....People are becoming cellphone snarky Starbucks cock wombles with their cars....they own it for a hot second and then move on to the next big thing next year....I've been here since 15' and seen a lot of cars sold after a short ownership....parted out....Etc. Me I bought it New.....will add it to my other unique specialty vehicles and enjoy them all on a regular basis. It saddens me everytime I see a I am selling my car as I have other priorities.....but I guess its life in the fast lane....The lifers will be here forever!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
A purist keeps all their cars that they fell in love with....Not keep them for a year then trade it in on the next big thing....People are becoming cellphone snarky Starbucks cock wombles with their cars....they own it for a hot second and then move on to the next big thing next year....I've been here since 15' and seen a lot of cars sold after a short ownership....parted out....Etc. Me I bought it New.....will add it to my other unique specialty vehicles and enjoy them all on a regular basis. It saddens me everytime I see a I am selling my car as I have other priorities.....but I guess its life in the fast lane....The lifers will be here forever!

My plan is to keep my car a long time as well. I've made mistakes in the past though but it took losing a few good ones to realize these things. I gave away my near perfect shape low mileage '91 SE-R for $2500 ten years ago. I keep reminding myself of that, the Fiesta ST is in many ways a reincarnation of that car...and I plan to keep it for a very long time.

Now, sell me that Typhoon......

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My plan is to keep my car a long time as well. I've made mistakes in the past though but it took losing a few good ones to realize these things. I gave away my near perfect shape low mileage '91 SE-R for $2500 ten years ago. I keep reminding myself of that, the Fiesta ST is in many ways a reincarnation of that car...and I plan to keep it for a very long time.

Funny guy Jeff! That should be your next purchase but get a Syclone....I'm shooting for one next!

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Interesting , see as I bought this car strictly because the minute I drove it I knew it was something special. Damn I really could buy a Porsche, have even thought seriously about a used Cayman. 911’s never was a real fan.

I have no plans for shifting this car in a few years. Its sticking around. I find it funny though people lamenting how much they feel the forum has slipped in a few short years.

I am still a premium membe on Zilvia owned and drove several 240sx’s for over ten years. Was a member of that forum from nearly six months after its beginning. In observation of how that world amd forum has gone this community its not nearly in the dumps some of the originals seem to think it is and it has a long way to go before getting there.

Been there seen it before, all forums get plagued by the cheap and foolish. Yet Really in the reality of cheap our cars are not quite there yet.
Yes cheap in relation to most new cars but not as cheap as 350z’s now. Not nearly as cheap ass owners as a lot of the current Miata and 240sx crowd. Lol

All in all its all what you make it of it. Complaining and leaving just makes a problem worse, being an ass to people on a regular basis ( no names but he knows its him lol) does not make for a better forum.

Being friendly trying to educate does. That does not mean you scold someone for their choices it means you suggest their might be a better way.

We are always going to get ghe occasional troll, idiot, person you can’t reason with. Its all in how you deal with it which shows the better man.

All in all its way too soon to let a few bad apples spoil the cart and if you OG’s think its already gone well all I can say is you have no idea how much worse it really could be. Having been there ans eeen if first hand I can honestly tell you its not bad here.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Ugh tell me about it I sold my grand national to put towards a pre-smog pantera but I’m missing the GN daily. Still need a syclone at some point. My long term is to have owned every car I had a poster of as a kid ;)

I might build a fake GN by repairing a regal T and just beat on it.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Some of you guys have had/currently own some badass iron. Sy/Ty twins and turbo Buford's! I love me some b13 Sentras, I had a b14 that I was gonna drop an Avenir swap into, but I bought a Mustang Cobra instead. I miss that Cobra too.

Other than my FiST, I have my old 69 Chevrolet - my first car. Guys, hold onto your rides. You may never get another chance to get one, let alone the one you built history with.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
As my father told me...Never let a significant other tell you that you need to sell your favorite vehicle!

OP
M
Thread Starter #79
What are you basing this number on?

If you are that concerned about a few dollars, you shouldn't buy any performance mods.
Someone dynoed the ST on regular and premium, and posted it on youtube.
It's really only 10HP difference.

OP
M
Thread Starter #80

From what I saw, the ST is not maxed out. It has much room for improvement.
Perhaps on 87 octane it is, but the engine has room for improvement.
I think it's worth researching.

I think the modern (2019) ST is maxed out, as it has only 3 cylinders, and yet makes more HP and Torque than the 4 cylinder version.
I think it'd be harder to get more power out of a modern (European 2019) ST than an older 4 cylinder model.