Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cheapest way to get +50HP?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Except technically we have a 12 gallon tank. Even at 7-3 your ratio is a bit off as 3.33 is a third of 10 . So at a fill of 12 on a dead empty tank you would use 4 gallons of E85
Actually that's not quite right... although we use the label e30 most tuners recommend a 3 to 1 mix for e28.8, 3/9 gallons... only use 4 and 8 when running less than 91-93 pump fuel or e85 actually testing much less for e35, on stock turbo. It just doesn't need higher than a 93 octane final mix with the cooling charge of the added ethanol handling the more aggressive e30 tuning over 93 tunes. When running other than stock turbo and you are custom tuned, then definitely stick to the final octane you were tuned to, but stock turbo flash e30 tunes, believe it or not e35 with regular works just as well.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Actually that's not quite right... although we use the label e30 most tuners recommend a 3 to 1 mix for e28.8, 3/9 gallons... only use 4 and 8 when running less than 91-93 pump fuel or e85 actually testing much less for e35, on stock turbo. It just doesn't need higher than a 93 octane final mix with the cooling charge of the added ethanol handling the more aggressive e30 tuning over 93 tunes. When running other than stock turbo and you are custom tuned, then definitely stick to the final octane you were tuned to, but stock turbo flash e30 tunes, believe it or not e35 with regular works just as well.

Imteresting, thanks for the correction.

redmoe

These ratios are great if you are actually getting E85 at the pump. Also if your 91-93 has 10% ethanol it will change the ratio. Here in AZ many of the pumps say E85 but it is actually E54. It’s a good idea to test the fuel a couple of times to get an idea of what you are really getting in your area. That said there is a decent amount of margin in most of the E30 tunes to allow for these variations.

OP
M
Thread Starter #105
These ratios are great if you are actually getting E85 at the pump. Also if your 91-93 has 10% ethanol it will change the ratio. Here in AZ many of the pumps say E85 but it is actually E54. It’s a good idea to test the fuel a couple of times to get an idea of what you are really getting in your area. That said there is a decent amount of margin in most of the E30 tunes to allow for these variations.
I was about to say the same thing.
E15, E30, E85 has a max of 15, 30 or 85% ethanol.
In some cases, E85 uses the same hose as E30, and if you're only going to fuel up a gallon, you might get much lower ethanol levels than E50.

Jerickson88

Between the pump fuel already being 10% ethanol and really just 25-35% final ethanol working within the tune parameters, it's not 30% of e85 but around 30% is why it's called an e30 tune... You can use this calculator HERE. so 3 and 9= e28.8 which Jason of Dizzy says to use that 3 to 1 ratio... I'm in a non-self serve state and when regular was put in mine I went down and put 4 gallons of e85 in once there was room for an e35/93 octane final mix and tried my e30 tune for the first time and it rocked, after Jason himself said it was OK and he does it sometimes. It's easy to max out the stock turbo without the need for high octane either with the cooling charge of ethanol making the fuels octane act even higher. :)
What I am wanting to do is get several 5 gallon cans of 93 and a couple of 85, and do a premix, and dump straight in the car.. very rarely do I pull up to a pump with e85. I pass the station in my work van where I work, so I could easily fill up. So basically, I can fill several with 3 gallons and add one gallon of e85, and as long as that being the only fuel I am using, I will be on e30. With supporting tune of course.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
What I am wanting to do is get several 5 gallon cans of 93 and a couple of 85, and do a premix, and dump straight in the car.. very rarely do I pull up to a pump with e85. I pass the station in my work van where I work, so I could easily fill up. So basically, I can fill several with 3 gallons and add one gallon of e85, and as long as that being the only fuel I am using, I will be on e30. With supporting tune of course.
Or take your gas can when u fill up. Dump the can in your tank the fill the rest up with 91 92 93 what ever you got out there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

Or take your gas can when u fill up. Dump the can in your tank the fill the rest up with 91 92 93 what ever you got out there.

That’s true. Just stock up for a few e30’s. What’s e85 shelf life?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Why not just keep the e85 on hand and put in same time at the pump as your 93?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I was about to say the same thing.
E15, E30, E85 has a max of 15, 30 or 85% ethanol.
In some cases, E85 uses the same hose as E30, and if you're only going to fuel up a gallon, you might get much lower ethanol levels than E50.
Apparently the only place that has e85 in town is 85-90% year round but some places can vary as low as 51% by law but I doubt you see much variance on e15, e20, etc. at the few places that have those unusual mixes.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I wish there was an e30 pump by me that would be so nice and convenient.

Jerickson88

Let me ask this: if i am a little off on the mixture +/- will it affect the car? Talking maybe .5 gallon too much or too little?e85

redmoe

Let me ask this: if i am a little off on the mixture +/- will it affect the car? Talking maybe .5 gallon too much or too little?e85
Variations in fuel quality would most likely have more of an impact than being off .5 gallons in your mix (assuming you are adding more than half a tank). Just monitor your OAR, ignition correction and knock count for a bit after filling up if you end up with a less than ideal mix.

Jerickson88

Variations in fuel quality would most likely have more of an impact than being off .5 gallons in your mix (assuming you are adding more than half a tank). Just monitor your OAR, ignition correction and knock count for a bit after filling up if you end up with a less than ideal mix.
I got ya. Nothing wrong with running higher octane in a tune for less, just a problem the other way around. There’s no exact science I suppose. You can’t be 110% every fill up.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I got ya. Nothing wrong with running higher octane in a tune for less, just a problem the other way around. There’s no exact science I suppose. You can’t be 110% every fill up.
Well, you CAN get it pretty exact if you test and know the ethanol percentage of the e85, a $5 Briggs& Stratton test tube would work fine.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So, just how gnarly is a stock car, e30 and FMIC? What kind of numbers? Are we loose in 3rd?
It's like the same much of a jump from stock to a strong Stratified from that 93 to e30... double the gains from stock to 93... and yes, loose in 3rd especially if you don't upgade engine mounts and do traction bar, more than just an RMM need at almost 300 ft/lbs in that size of a car.

Jerickson88

It's like the same much of a jump from stock to a strong Stratified from that 93 to e30... double the gains from stock to 93... and yes, loose in 3rd especially if you don't upgade engine mounts and do traction bar, more than just an RMM need at almost 300 ft/lbs in that size of a car.
Sounds like a lot of fun. I will have a minimum of a RMM when I make that jump. I hope it’s a handful.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Sounds like a lot of fun. I will have a minimum of a RMM when I make that jump. I hope it’s a handful.
Yeah, even with a traction bar, RMM and passenger side insert I do still get some torque steer but much better controlled now, it is definitely a handful with just an RMM. :)