Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cheapest way to get +50HP?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I get it. But it seems some are blowing it up to be the worst thing in the world to happen to the air. Lets try and keep it reasonable now.
Why pollute the air more than necessary just because you want to mod your car? If everyone cut the cat off their car how do you think the air would be? Do what you wish. Yeah but what about them electric cars and batteries. Come on let's keep it reasonable now.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Why pollute the air more than necessary just because you want to mod your car? If everyone cut the cat off their car how do you think the air would be? Do what you wish. Yeah but what about them electric cars and batteries. Come on let's keep it reasonable now.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Lol there is less than 5% of the population that modify cars. So once again lets be realistic. Not everyone is a tree hugging hippie. The amount of car enthusiasts that actually remove there cats is so small there are much worse things out there. So put down your cigarette and save the world one smoker at a time.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I don’t smoke and I don’t run cat less. Yay.

My dream gig in another life is to work for CARB and go hunting for blatant gross offenders and sticking it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I will say this cats have definitely cleaned up the air in SoCal. If you came to SoCal 30-40 years ago you would have been shocked how bad the air was. We still get knocked for bad air but it was much worse. I remember going to Disneyland when I was 15 and my lungs hurt the air was so bad.
I was coming from the bay area. So ya cats have helped and I see no reason to take them off just to gain a few ponies. Everything that cleans up the air counts. I am willing to sacrifice some HP for the sake of possibly cleaner air.
Oh and I agree the emissions it takes to make the batteries for EV and Hybrids is comedy and such BS when people start spotting off about driving a green car. Lol
Hybrids are good for one thing Mileage! Everything else is a sham. Lol
Unfortunately the automakers are taking us down that road wholeheartedly.
One of the few companies not is Fords former partner Mazda who is making some nice cars these days.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
God you guys are good entertainment lol

Removing the cat? Lack of maturity? Lol please

Like above said less then 5% of people modify cars, less then that go catless. And to the 95% of the world, I'm sure they think sports cars; let alone modifying them.....is dare I say......immature

me32

1000 Post Club
I don’t smoke and I don’t run cat less. Yay.

My dream gig is to work for CARB and go hunting for blatant gross offenders and sticking it to them.

Sounds like dreams come true for you. Smoking will kill you.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Removing cats is a sign of ignorance. I see ignorants and morons and lemmings more than I care lol

me32

1000 Post Club
I will say this cats have definitely cleaned up the air in SoCal. If you came to SoCal 30-40 years ago you would have been shocked how bad the air was. We still get knocked for bad air but it was much worse. I remember going to Disneyland when I was 15 and my lungs hurt the air was so bad.
I was coming from the bay area. So ya cats have helped and I see no reason to take them off just to gain a few ponies. Everything that cleans up the air counts. I am willing to sacrifice some HP for the sake of possibly cleaner air.
Oh and I agree the emissions it takes to make the batteries for EV and Hybrids is comedy and such BS when people start spotting off about driving a green car. Lol
Hybrids are good for one thing Mileage! Everything else is a sham. Lol
Unfortunately the automakers are taking us down that road wholeheartedly.
One of the few companies not is Fords former partner Mazda who is making some nice cars these days.
In all fairness Socal huge smog/bad air issue has a lot to do with over population and not enough trees/forest. As you know in norcal smog/bad air is only an issue when the big fires hit. Normally its clear skys and good air.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
In all fairness Socal huge smog/bad air issue has a lot to do with over population and not enough trees/forest. As you know in norcal smog/bad air is only an issue when the big fires hit. Normally its clear skys and good air.
Honestly it’s partly a geographic issue and even in the times of Indians therewas smog from the their fires. The ring of Mountains around the basin trap air naturally and then onshore breeze blows it eastward.

Also the bay area is worse than it was when I was a kid smog wise. It has gotten worse up there and in fhe Central Valley. Do not think the bay area gets away with not contributing to the air quaility issue these days lol .
Its not just the fires lol.
There are a lot more cars up there than even before and you guys now have traffic just as bad as here. I come up there enough to know. Lol

me32

1000 Post Club
Honestly it’s partly a geographic issue and even in the times of Indians therewas smog from the their fires. The ring of Mountains around the basin trap air naturally and then onshore breeze blows it eastward.

Also the bay area is worse than it was when I was a kid smog wise. It has gotten worse up there and in fhe Central Valley. Do not think the bay area gets away with not contributing to the air quaility issue these days lol .
Its not just the fires lol.
There are a lot more cars up there than even before and you guys now have traffic just as bad as here. I come up there enough to know. Lol
You must have not been up to the bay that often. I was just in LA this last week. The smog there is terrible. The traffic is worse than the bay. I thought working in the bay is bad cause traffic is terrible in the bay. The worst is Thursday and friday. Working in la traffic is worse on a Monday there ia traffic from 1pm till 9pm at night. The bay has had clear blue skys. Even the central valley has less smog than LA. Now the cow poop smell is a different story. But central valley is our food supply so cant complain about that.

We just dont have the smog issue that LA has. We have alot of forest and trees that help with that.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You must have not been up to the bay that often. I was just in LA this last week. The smog there is terrible. The traffic is worse than the bay. I thought working in the bay is bad cause traffic is terrible in the bay. The worst is Thursday and friday. Working in la traffic is worse on a Monday there ia traffic from 1pm till 9pm at night. The bay has had clear blue skys. Even the central valley has less smog than LA. Now the cow poop smell is a different story. But central valley is our food supply so cant complain about that.

We just dont have the smog issue that LA has. We have alot of forest and trees that help with that.
Lol I grew up im Palo Alto and lived in San Francisco for 9 years. I usually visit the bay about 5 times a year to see family . Drive through the central Valley quite a bit in fact I havr crossed it hundreds of times.
It does have smog its worse than when I was a kid and the same goes for the bay. Plus we get marine layer here . Not saying we don’t have smog, saying if you think its bad now? Lol you have absolutely no idea how bad it was. Plus we get marine layer like SF but it does not get blown it sticks and sometimes can make things look worse than they are. I have driven SF recently and the traffic is terrible now compared to what was loke in the 90’s. Traffic here can be bad but it all depends on what freeway you are talking about some are worse than others amd rush hour? Stick to surface streets, you can get anywhere here on Surface streets and sometimes faster than the freeways. In fact I can get from Santa Monica Venice to my neighborhood Los Feliz right below Griffith Park next to Hollywood in 45 minutes. West side to East side of town.

OP
M
Thread Starter #36
Fact is, a catalytic is here to stay, and more and more lawmakers are pushing laws, in every state, for them to be installed.
Now it's mostly cities, but I think pretty soon it'll be a global thing, to, by law, have one installed.

I take the advice,
The HP gain per $$$ cost ratio, on going catless, is too low for street driving.
There are more efficient solutions.

I've read about people suggesting thicker head gaskets, when boosting the PSI, and still able to run on 87 octane (running a lower compression ratio this way).
An alternative to running thicker head gaskets, to get higher boost on the tracks.
With the goal to continue being able to run 87 octane, instead of boosting beyond max PSI what they do on the tracks.
Not sure how viable this mod is; since a headgasket replacement is quite expensive, unless one knows what he's doing, and can do it himself.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I get it. But it seems some are blowing it up to be the worst thing in the world to happen to the air. Lets try and keep it reasonable now.
Depends where you’re located. If you live somewhere where the smog blows to someone else it’s not an issue for you. If you live somewhere that others’ smog collects and you have to take witness children doing breathing treatments first hand it becomes “real” to you. But I guess as long as it’s someone else’s problem you don’t have to care about it, right?

Los Angeles doesn’t have to deal with the smog they create, it all blows to Redlands and parks against the mountains there. Lots of respiratory illness in children there, which exacerbates other medical issues endemic to third world air quality. Not from a tree hugger perspective, but from a social responsibility perspective. Is cutting off my cat worth causing children asthma? Other respiratory issues? I guess not if they aren’t your kids. You don’t have to be a tree hugger, but being the slightest bit conscientious never hurt anyone.
When I was fresh out of my teens I ran catless for a bit out of pure ignorance. Wound up getting busted by a portable smog stop (trailer with a dyno and measurement equipment). After all was said and done after court fees, fines, restorative action it was a $15,000 dollar waste of money. Re-tuning with a hi flow cat resulted in zero power change. Between that and actually touring some medical respiratory therapy facilities as a donor it really drove home how much running catless is pointless and selfish. No, being a responsible adult won’t change the world - but a single raindrop also doesn’t make a flood.

I think in order for you to try to argue against catalytic converters you’re going to need a starting point better than “not that many people do it”.

TL;DR, running catless hurts kids, don’t be an ignorant turd. If you don’t care about kids, care about EPA fines.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Fact is, a catalytic is here to stay, and more and more lawmakers are pushing laws, in every state, for them to be installed.
Now it's mostly cities, but I think pretty soon it'll be a global thing, to, by law, have one installed.
... are you writing this from the past?! Catalytic converters have been required, by law, in the US since 1990 and it has been a violation of the Clean Air Act to remove them since then.

I've read about people suggesting thicker head gaskets, when boosting the PSI, and still able to run on 87 octane (running a lower compression ratio this way).
An alternative to running thicker head gaskets, to get higher boost on the tracks.
With the goal to continue being able to run 87 octane, instead of boosting beyond max PSI what they do on the tracks.
Not sure how viable this mod is; since a headgasket replacement is quite expensive, unless one knows what he's doing, and can do it himself.
Thicker head gasket are used to drop the compression ratio when turbo charging an engine that was designed for N/A performance without re-working the head(s). This isn't something that you need in a direct-injection previously turbo-charged engine.

The way to make more power in a turbo charged car is to increase charge density (more boost and cooler charge) and decrease the energy required to make boost all while avoiding pre-detonation. It has been proven over and over that there are little gains to be found on the exhaust-side of a stock-turbo FiST. There are lots of tuners that can tune for more boost but more boost == more charge temp, so a larger intercooler is often needed to lower the charge temp to appreciate the higher boost pressure.

The limiting factor in your case is that you insist on running 87 octane fuel; an increase in charge density will increase combustion chamber temperatures and you don't want to pony up for a higher octane fuel to avoid pre-detonation. So you've got to figure out how to take as much heat as possible out of the combustion chamber.

Talk to a Pro-Tuner. You want something that nobody else on this forum does: a low-rev, low-octane tune. It's not going to be cheap because the tuner won't be able to sell it more than a couple of times and probably hasn't ever tuned for 87 octane and won't have any experience with it.

The responses to your proposals on this thread are free, but aren't going to get you any more power, and your understanding of a modern turbo-charged engine is too limited for you to do any good with the DYI hardware store upgrades for which your previous, hypermiler, community is famous.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
More power with the insistence on 87 octane is goofy. The only reason we’re able to get heaps of power out of a tune is because the stock one leaves so much on the table to give 87 octane compatibility. You literally tune that out to maximize what you’ve got.