Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant sensor issues post recall

Mikey_O

Hey All, hoping to get some advice on issues that I've been having since taking my 2014 Fiesta ST in for the coolant sensor recall. To clarify, previous to dropping the car off at the dealership I had seen 5 faultless years of ownership. Aside from scheduled maintenance I had zero issues. I figured on having the recall work done just to be prudent, in spite of never losing any coolant.

Fast forward 6 weeks and my car has been back to the dealership no less than 5 times. The issue i'm experiencing is that the engine temp readout skyrockets and sends the car into limp mode. On 2 or the 5 times this has happened it's been within 300 yards of my house and there's no way the engine was overheating. I'm also not losing a drop of coolant.

The dealership however cannot figure it out. They've tried several stop gap 'fixes' but none have worked and they are reluctant to redo the warranty work due to the associated cost.

Any advice here? I know that these cars have seen overheating issues, but I don't believe that to be the case with my car. This only started happening after the recall work was done. My fear is that the dealership is going to get sick of trying to troubleshoot and will lump me with a huge bill. My car has done 59K miles and up to this point was the best car I've ever owned. Now however I have a lemon.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hey All, hoping to get some advice on issues that I've been having since taking my 2014 Fiesta ST in for the coolant sensor recall. To clarify, previous to dropping the car off at the dealership I had seen 5 faultless years of ownership. Aside from scheduled maintenance I had zero issues. I figured on having the recall work done just to be prudent, in spite of never losing any coolant.

Fast forward 6 weeks and my car has been back to the dealership no less than 5 times. The issue i'm experiencing is that the engine temp readout skyrockets and sends the car into limp mode. On 2 or the 5 times this has happened it's been within 300 yards of my house and there's no way the engine was overheating. I'm also not losing a drop of coolant.

The dealership however cannot figure it out. They've tried several stop gap 'fixes' but none have worked and they are reluctant to redo the warranty work due to the associated cost.

Any advice here? I know that these cars have seen overheating issues, but I don't believe that to be the case with my car. This only started happening after the recall work was done. My fear is that the dealership is going to get sick of trying to troubleshoot and will lump me with a huge bill. My car has done 59K miles and up to this point was the best car I've ever owned. Now however I have a lemon.
I'm no expert on the recall but it does require an ecu flash
Your car going into limp mode 300 yards from your driveway or parking spot is flash related, not hard parts
They need to perform the full recall again and fix you Fiesta, demand nothing less and ask to speak to someone higher than your service advisor

CSM

1000 Post Club

You're awfully close to the factory powertrain warranty ending (60k miles). Are they pushing you off because you are close to that mileage ?

If it was me, I'd take it in to another dealer to let them diagnose. If that doesn't work, loop ford customer service into the issue.

It just screams to me that something went wrong or was installed wrong during the recall. Weird for you to have these issues all of a sudden

OP
M

Mikey_O

Thread Starter #4
Thanks for chiming in - this is driving me crazy...

I don't think they're pushing me off because I'm close to the 60K - I just don't think they have a clue what's going on with the car. Agreed that they need to do the work over again, I've stated that to them several times but they are telling me that they have to have Ford approve that work. Ford are reluctant to do that (so i'm told) and rather are instructing them to do all this other stuff.

I'm going to call Ford Care tmw and see if that gets any traction. If I try taking it to another dealer I'm assuming that they will run into the same issue - i.e. Ford won't pay for the rework. Has anyone had any luck working with Ford directly? I need to get this sorted - going on 2 months without my Fiesta.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thanks for chiming in - this is driving me crazy...

I don't think they're pushing me off because I'm close to the 60K - I just don't think they have a clue what's going on with the car. Agreed that they need to do the work over again, I've stated that to them several times but they are telling me that they have to have Ford approve that work. Ford are reluctant to do that (so i'm told) and rather are instructing them to do all this other stuff.

I'm going to call Ford Care tmw and see if that gets any traction. If I try taking it to another dealer I'm assuming that they will run into the same issue - i.e. Ford won't pay for the rework. Has anyone had any luck working with Ford directly? I need to get this sorted - going on 2 months without my Fiesta.

If your car was fine pre recall and now if malfunctioning post recall they need to repair the car regardless of cost
2 months? Kudos to you for keeping your cool for this long