Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hello from NorCal

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #23
The PROPER size and "the size you wanted" are not the same thing.
Your opinion of the proper tire size is different then my opinion of the proper tire size. I'm on a 205/50/16, which on paper does have a 1/2" bigger diameter then the stock size. The Nominal size difference measured when mounting the new tires was barely 1/4" different in diameter. Nominal is different then calculated. The usable tread depth on a lot of tires is 1/8" which means your not even on the "proper size" tire according to yourself once your tires is worn down half it's rated tread depth. And most aren't worried about their speedo being off that Maximum 2.6% value that you are calculating, if they are, they better get new tires every 6 months to stay with in "spec". The RE71r is an amazing tire and 1/4" Nominal difference in diameter doesn't outweigh the benefits of this tire.

Attached is a video of my car you can scroll through my channel to see more
https://youtu.be/sMIN4LnLIjk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TemecFist

You also forgot that the 50 series tire is not the best series of tire for the RE71r. The 55 series is. So now you have the "not optimum" tire size because its bigger than stock (speedo incorrect) AND not the optimum sidewall, and not to mention if there happens to be any weight increase (Im not sure if there is or not, depends on your rim weight, etc). To Each their own tho. I use a 205/40r17 R888r. Everything matches up, and is better (In my eyes) than the RE71R. I've played this game before, I even ran a 215/40r17 and could tell a negative difference. They will "work" but its definitely not the optimum choice.

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #25
You also forgot that the 50 series tire is not the best series of tire for the RE71r. The 55 series is. So now you have the "not optimum" tire size because its bigger than stock (speedo incorrect) AND not the optimum sidewall, and not to mention if there happens to be any weight increase (Im not sure if there is or not, depends on your rim weight, etc). To Each their own tho. I use a 205/40r17 R888r. Everything matches up, and is better (In my eyes) than the RE71R. I've played this game before, I even ran a 215/40r17 and could tell a negative difference. They will "work" but its definitely not the optimum choice.
You missed some information, my car came with 16s not 17s so I had to adapt the best I could. Also the rainy season here in norcal is notorious for creating giant pot holes so every bit of sidewall I can get I'm going to take along with the fact that I've always heard the RE71r's are better in the wet. I have not driven the r888r's in the wet so I didn't want to risk it. Thank you correcting your prior terminology

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #27
Just wanted to update my page with my newest video since some of you were asking.

This video is from a couple weeks ago at Laguna Seca where I lay down some laps that seem to be the fastest done in a Fiesta ST. If anyone can find one faster please post it here. Enjoy! and subscribe for more Fiesta lap records!

View: https://youtu.be/KOFLXJthr4g

Hello my name is Ben. I instruct with a few track day clubs here in Northern California. I also drive in NASA Spec e30 and run in other series as well.

I just picked up a 15' ST in Tuxedo Black w/24k miles on it. I've been into the ST since I drove a students car a year ago, and I'm glad I finally got one for myself. Amazing car for the price.

I have a YouTube channel that is somewhat known in the BMW community, and I would like to make some Fiesta ST videos to add to it. Check it out at:
https://www.youtube.com/user/benvidproductions Any subscriptions help as well! View attachment 15778

And let me know of any video suggestions you would like to see!

Since I will be playing with my ST at the track on days when I am Instructing, I will be doing Brakes pads/rotors/fluid, radiator, tow hooks, and I'll slap some RE71r's on. I'm going to run the car as stock as possible since I already have a racecar I have to maintain but I need to do the basics to get the car prepped for track use.

Any suggestions on radiator: Mountune vs Mishi?
What brake cooling methods are best for the ST?

Any other suggestions are invited

Good to meet you all!

The Mountune radiator can be installed without separating the whole bumper support from the car. The Mishi Recommends removing the bumper support in order to install. Some people have claimed it can be done without separating it, but I know for a fact the Mountune can be installed with it still attached as I have done it myself.

I would also swap the stock intercooler if I were going to track race the car, charge temps can get pretty high on the stock ones since they are pretty junk.

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #30
The Mountune radiator can be installed without separating the whole bumper support from the car. The Mishi Recommends removing the bumper support in order to install. Some people have claimed it can be done without separating it, but I know for a fact the Mountune can be installed with it still attached as I have done it myself.

I would also swap the stock intercooler if I were going to track race the car, charge temps can get pretty high on the stock ones since they are pretty junk.
Awesome, thanks for the info. One thing that might affect me having to pull the bumper completely is the aftermarket tow hook I purchase looks like I need to pull the bumper but I need to look at it again. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at it, but I do need to install tow hook for the track I just haven’t gotten around to it

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #31
Hello from Sacramento!

I'd love to learn how to properly race!
Sign up for an event with SpeedSF and I can be your instructor! I also do private instruction as well, just let me know!

Awesome, thanks for the info. One thing that might affect me having to pull the bumper completely is the aftermarket tow hook I purchase looks like I need to pull the bumper but I need to look at it again. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at it, but I do need to install tow hook for the track I just haven’t gotten around to it

Does the tow hook mount to the bumper support? If you need to attach it without mangling the bumper you will probably need to take it off, though at this point I can get the bumper off in less than 30 minutes so its not that big of a deal.

I wish I had started with a radiator upgrade, the stock radiator is fine when nothing is done to the car, but after doing full bolt ons the car would overheat and go into limp mode any time the sun was out pretty much.

I attached a pic of the car without the front bumper, my guess is the tow hook will mount to the top or bottom of that bumper support, mainly because I dont see any other place you could put it.

Attachments

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #33
Does the tow hook mount to the bumper support? If you need to attach it without mangling the bumper you will probably need to take it off, though at this point I can get the bumper off in less than 30 minutes so its not that big of a deal.

I wish I had started with a radiator upgrade, the stock radiator is fine when nothing is done to the car, but after doing full bolt ons the car would overheat and go into limp mode any time the sun was out pretty much.
Yup it mounts to the bumper support, it mounts to that and has a threaded portion that sits in the back after you drill holes through the support.

I’m modifying any part of the car to add power so I won’t have as big of an issue but I still need to do these mods for the track for sure

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Just wanted to update my page with my newest video since some of you were asking.

This video is from a couple weeks ago at Laguna Seca where I lay down some laps that seem to be the fastest done in a Fiesta ST. If anyone can find one faster please post it here. Enjoy! and subscribe for more Fiesta lap records!

View: https://youtu.be/KOFLXJthr4g
I just noticed that you aren't running with your front license plate, and I thought to myself: Duh! Even with an upgraded radiator and FMIC, my coolant has hit 234 at Thunderhill (which isn't outrageous considering how hot it gets there), but it didn't occur to me to remove the license plate for the track event. So simple; I like it!

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Eh, now I realize that the license plate only covers the bottom portion of the grill, so it wouldn't make a difference (unless you opened up the grill and had an aftermarket crash bar)

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #36
I just noticed that you aren't running with your front license plate, and I thought to myself: Duh! Even with an upgraded radiator and FMIC, my coolant has hit 234 at Thunderhill (which isn't outrageous considering how hot it gets there), but it didn't occur to me to remove the license plate for the track event. So simple; I like it!
I’m not sure how much the front plate being off would help, similar to what green_henry mentioned there isn’t much surface area open behind the plate. BUT I take my license plates off at the track (when I remember to) because it’s just a festival of camera filming for and shooting pictures for the internet so it’s just that much less my license plate will be broadcast for everyone to see and it’s just most aesthetically pleasing which is probably the main reason.

Sounds like there might be some air pockets in your cooling system, even with FMIC, hard piping, downpipe intake and a Stratified tune I never break 210 on the mountune radiator, 240 is limp mode so you are getting pretty close.

Which radiator do you have?

OP
benvid
Thread Starter #39
I’m probably going with Mountune as well