Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

theblue's 2018 build

Goal:

This car replaced my APR Stage 2 Audi A3 which basically just had a $100 ebay downpipe and APR stage 2 tune. It dyno'd 260whp/300tq and ran a 14 flat 1/4. I would like my fiesta to be comparable in straight line (power to weight) and track day capable while still pleasant to drive to work every day. I envision spending 2500 and hunt aggressively to find the best value point between performance, money and comfort.

Items purchased including shipping and tax:

Total spent: $3741.49

$420 Cobb Accessport V3 (used)
$136 floormats for winter (amazon)
$119.20 Mountune rear roll mount (black friday 18 deal)
$36 Mountune panel filter (black friday 18 deal)
$390.25 Winter wheels and accessories
$342.40 Pierce 6 point front bar and rear beam bar (black friday)
$180 Whiteline springs
$16.20 camber bolts
$28.80 Powerflex upper engine insert
$13.50 upgraded bolt for above
$18 Whoosh symposer delete
$399 european headlights from ebay
$30.23 Xentec 55watt H7 4300k HID kit
$275 Whoosh V2 Intercooler (black)
$95 velossa tech big mouth intake (used)
$75 Dizzy stage 2 tune
$1000 used Enkei RPF1 bronze wheels with continental tires
$56 MUTEKI 32926BP SR35 Series Black 12mm x 1.5" Thread Size Closed End Lug Nuts (ebay)
Pending:

nothing right now

Desired

- Catchcan (undecided)

Low Priority wish list:

KW V3 coilovers

Last edited:
You are almost there already. AP3, intercooler and custom tune along with a capable driver should be able to run 14 flat.
Of course unless you live a mile above sea level.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #3
I just got a couple mountune parts because of their black friday special pricing. My logic here is that my research says their roll restrictor is likely better than the AWR $110 one at woosh and the filter with discount is cheap enough to just go for it. I also get some parts to install sooner.

2364-RR-AA mountune Roll Restrictor / Rear Motor Mount - Fiesta 1 $149.00 $149.00
2364-AF-AA mountune High Flow Air Filter - Fiesta 1 $45.00 $45.00
DSC-594 Black Friday 2018 [2364-RR-AA] [2364-AF-AA] 1 -$29.10 -$29.10
total shipped: $164.90

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #4
winter wheels ordered: 4-New 15" Motegi MR116 15x6.5 4x108 40 Black w/ Red $315 shipped
black spline drive lug nuts with them $35 shipped
Ford TPMS tool $20 shipped
4x used good TPMS sensors $19.25 shipped

total = $390.25

motegi.jpg

centercap will be spraybombed black.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #5
parts are arriving. look how much shorter the mountune filter is! I installed that last night. the rest will be Friday.

similar goals but less budget control

I'm just getting started so I'll be cleaning this up. / editing a lot

Goal:

This car replaced my APR Stage 2 Audi A3 which basically just had a $100 ebay downpipe and APR stage 2 tune. It dyno'd 260whp/300tq and ran a 14 flat 1/4. I would like my fiesta to be comparable in straight line (power to weight) and track day capable while still pleasant to drive to work every day. I envision spending 2500 and hunt aggressively to find the best value point between performance, money and comfort.

My benchmark is a 2001 S2000 I had much earlier in my vehicle lineup. I think there is no replacement for lightness. I'm with you on the 14 flat, and the track capable, pleasant daily. I however don't have your budget self control; I respect and envy it, but I just don't have it [burnout].

My plan looks like this:
1) LSD and braces to calm down the front end and help put most of the torque down. I really like bracing the chassis; create a fairly solid base so the moving bits (springs, dampers, torsion members) can do most of the moving.
2) best dampers and springs I can afford; hoping for great handling, adjustable across the comfort/track attack continuum.
3) tires and wheels to add lightness and reduce likelihood of bending rims on the hideous roads of upland New York state.
4) power next: uprated IC and drop-in filter with flash tune.

Parts list:
1) MFactory LSD, Pierce braces (probably 6-point and rear torsion bar, maybe strut bar)
2) MeisterR GT1 coilovers (crazy splurge with some anesthetic from 20% off Black Friday deal)
3) Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 15x7 with Michelin x-ice/Continental Extreme Contact (winter/summer)
4) Cobb RMM and filter, Whoosh FMIC, Dizzy "stage 2" flash

Cost: no way I'm admitting this to you (or my wife [shhh])…..

Last edited:
Just noticed you're in Rochester. I'll be coming up from Ithaca next week (28 Nov) to get the LSD installed at Redline Transmission. Are you familiar with them? I couldn't find anyone here to do the work; I called Redline and they said: "Oh yeah, no problem", and their price quote was right in line with others I've seen online.

Your build looks good. I'm curious to see how the passenger side engine mount works for you (performance vs. NVH). Also, checked out your race page: great stuff!

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #8
Just noticed you're in Rochester. I'll be coming up from Ithaca next week (28 Nov) to get the LSD installed at Redline Transmission. Are you familiar with them? I couldn't find anyone here to do the work; I called Redline and they said: "Oh yeah, no problem", and their price quote was right in line with others I've seen online.

Your build looks good. I'm curious to see how the passenger side engine mount works for you (performance vs. NVH). Also, checked out your race page: great stuff!
I've heard of redline but never worked with them. I'd love to hear your review and how much it cost in the end in case I want to follow in your footsteps here. Are you bringing them the transmission out of the car, or having them do everything. What kind of turnaround did they offer you?

I think the stock dampers are great, so I'm not spending money on that upgrade until I'm disappointed by them with springs. We will see.

I've heard of redline but never worked with them. I'd love to hear your review and how much it cost in the end in case I want to follow in your footsteps here. Are you bringing them the transmission out of the car, or having them do everything. What kind of turnaround did they offer you?

I think the stock dampers are great, so I'm not spending money on that upgrade until I'm disappointed by them with springs. We will see.
They are doing the RR and dif installation. Turn around should be quick; one or two days. I'm dropping off the car and flying to Chicago for a business gig.

Re: the stock dampers, I like the ride ok, but the back end's too bouncy for my taste. I'm hoping to settle things down and smooth things out when using street settings on the new dampers, which are meant to yield good ride quality while allowing the stiffer springs (5 kg/mm front and 3 kg/mm rear) to do their thing. The oem springs are ~ 3 kg/2.5 kg front/rear. All opinions about ride quality are completely subjective, and my opinion about handling is too; I don't get to do timed track tuning. I'm just hoping to wind up happy with the new stuff.

Once we've both got our setups going it'd be interesting to meet up and compare. We're trying to get to similar outcomes using slightly different routes; I think I would learn something for sure. (buyers' remorse [dunno]?)

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #13
no, these cars are so ECU handicapped from the factory that it doesn't mean much to me. They are something like a low 15 second car probably.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #18
yes. I had them sitting around for for my BMW E30 to go ice racing. Decided to throw them on this instead. might take this ice racing if conditions permit.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #20
Euro (TYC) vs. US headlights:

I'm currently having trouble getting the passenger's side to adjust up and down (I'm not the first person to have this issue). working on it.