Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Roll over risk at autocross

I have had my FiST for a bit now and was hoping to use it has a secondary just for fun autocross car (I have an str nd Miata). Everyone keeps scaring me out of taking it out by telling me it's going to flip and it's not worth it. Is this a legitimate risk? Have any of you competitive autocrossers been close and what are your thoughts? I did a few runs on summer tires but never on stones or rivals. Also I'm still on stock shocks, would konis make it more prone or less?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Any car can flip.

I routinely get my FiST slightly sideways on onramps and such. Never felt like it was gonna tip.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
Street driving and autocross are completely different beasts. Some cars are more prone to flipping.
Any car can flip.

I routinely get my FiST slightly sideways on onramps and such. Never felt like it was gonna tip.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Tripodding every hard corner but never felt close to flipping.

Most people that say that the FiST will roll are referring to the base non-ST Fiesta which is actually excluded from SCCA events.

From the SCCA Appendix A Street Category section:
Excluded from Street Category
for reasons of stability per Section 3.1:
• Dodge Caliber (non-SRT)
• Fiat 500 (non-Abarth) (2012-18)
• Ford Fiesta (non-ST) (2011-18)
• Geo Tracker
• Jeep CJ series
• MINI Countryman
• Nissan Juke
• Scion iQ
• Scion xB (2004-06)
• Subaru Forester
• Suzuki Samurai
• Suzuki Sidekick
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

cxwrench

Anything can happen...but I think you're worrying about something that has a very very very low chance of ever happening. We'd be hearing stories about cars flipping and rolling way more often if it was even close to being an issue. The only thing I've heard about is an Abarth that rolled but it was apparently being over driven. The standard Fiesta can't be driven in SCCA events unless it has stiffer springs from what I've heard. Takeaway: You'd probably have to try to get one to roll.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
That's kind of how I feel as well, that's why I posted. Probably not a likely chance.
Anything can happen...but I think you're worrying about something that has a very very very low chance of ever happening. We'd be hearing stories about cars flipping and rolling way more often if it was even close to being an issue. The only thing I've heard about is an Abarth that rolled but it was apparently being over driven. The standard Fiesta can't be driven in SCCA events unless it has stiffer springs from what I've heard. Takeaway: You'd probably have to try to get one to roll.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I don’t think it’s much risk. At one place I run I often try to get on two wheels in one spot going over a hill.. I caught it one time on in car camera but I know have had it higher lol. In vid around 1.10 in to it you can see and hear my car slam down.

https://youtu.be/MT8JDeSzKZ0

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Crazy that you try to get on 2 wheels, ballsy haha. Good to know thanks
I don’t think it’s much risk. At one place I run I often try to get on two wheels in one spot going over a hill.. I caught it one time on in car camera but I know have had it higher lol. In vid around 1.10 in to it you can see and hear my car slam down.

https://youtu.be/MT8JDeSzKZ0

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You're not going to roll it just rounding corners. The risk comes in when those two side wheels dig into some earth. The tracks should be setup to help prevent this; either by keeping speeds too too low or/and properly conditioning the earth off the turns. They want the cars to slide rather than dig in. If the speeds are high enough, even the very low and very wide can be rolled.

I campaigned my FiST at 13 events this year on REs, with stock springs and a Pierce torsion bar. Like others have said, lots of tripod action, never felt like it was going to flip.

Ford Community Posts