Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

gasoline to CNG conversion?

How easy or viable is it to convert a turbo car, like the Fiesta ST, to run on natural gas CNG?

Jerickson88

Very cool thought, but I’m not sure this would be cheaper than buying a car that already can do this after purchasing a FiST

Maybe check and see if there’s a separate board out here title it

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
I've heard that conversion kits to LPG cost in the range of $2k.
I also heard that LPG has a higher knock resistance than regular gasoline.
And while LPG is rated at 110 octane,
Natural gas is rated at 130 octane, which means you could potentially run major boost on that!
And it's cheap, like pennies, meaning, you could run your car at a fraction of the cost of running it with gasoline.

LPG and Natural gas are 2 different things, but they both are gas, and environment friendly. But natural gas has a higher octane, and is cheaper.
At the same MPG, you'd be running at half the price (~$1,37 per comparable gallon of gasoline).

There just aren't many natural gas stations on the roads.
See this map

Haven't found any information on any conversion kits for the ST.
Lots of other cars do have conversion kits.

CNG has several limitations.....

No widespread refueling infrastructure exists to run it in. You would also have to be willing to live with some cold weather drivability issues and range limitations. You should research the CNG Honda Civic that was offered in California several years ago. I drove one for three days shortly after it was introduced. It was functional. But I was not very impressed by the performance. CNG conversion would be hugely expensive if it even were available. A propane conversion is more doable. But is really better for fleet trucks that drive a set route where acceleration and smooth performance are not Germain to it's function.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
How easy or viable is it to convert a turbo car, like the Fiesta ST, to run on natural gas CNG?
GTFO.....please quit...just quit with these insane questions....go read a popular mechanics to answer your own questions on this matter and while your at it pour more chlorine into the pool....gene pool that is.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

Our local gas provider has their own CNG hubs. They in all of their service vehicles this way.

I must agree with Typhoon. Do your research. Assess whether or not you have the financial or technical skills (both are required, actually) to delve into the viability of this. But don't pour chlorine into your genetic material. I tried it and my clone was just a pale copy of myself.

OP
M
Thread Starter #10
There are approx 912 NCG (Natural Gas) stations in USA. One of them not very far from me.
NCG has a higher octane rating (130) than LPG (110), and thus would allow for MUCH higher boost levels (boost levels beyond what the engine would probably be able to handle).
NCG runs cleaner than gasoline, gives much longer range than LPG, and is cheaper than both of them.

Aside from running around with a 3600PSI container in the car, there are only benefits IMO.
Especially compared to LPG.
Research into carbon fiber reinforced containers has made traveling with pressurized gasoline much safer.
This alternative fuel is a much more viable option than any other, but is mostly used to heat homes in winter, and cook food on.
Not a lot of cars have been converted to NCG yet, but some are.
And it's a much more viable fuel source than LPG, or even hydrogen as fuel (which costs an equivalent of $3.50/gal of gasoline).

As far as Typhoon (and some others on this forum), I already blocked them long ago.
No reason to wear my eyes out, with his continuous personal insults, and from people who can't treat others with respect.
It's the one feature about this forum I do enjoy using.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There are approx 912 NCG (Natural Gas) stations in USA. One of them not very far from me.
NCG has a higher octane rating (130) than LPG (110), and thus would allow for MUCH higher boost levels (boost levels beyond what the engine would probably be able to handle).
NCG runs cleaner than gasoline, gives much longer range than LPG, and is cheaper than both of them.

Aside from running around with a 3600PSI container in the car, there are only benefits IMO.
Especially compared to LPG.
Research into carbon fiber reinforced containers has made traveling with pressurized gasoline much safer.
This alternative fuel is a much more viable option than any other, but is mostly used to heat homes in winter, and cook food on.
Not a lot of cars have been converted to NCG yet, but some are.
And it's a much more viable fuel source than LPG, or even hydrogen as fuel (which costs an equivalent of $3.50/gal of gasoline).

As far as Typhoon (and some others on this forum), I already blocked them long ago.
No reason to wear my eyes out, with his continuous personal insults, and from people who can't treat others with respect.
It's the one feature about this forum I do enjoy using.
EAD! You are not a true enthusiast ....as far as I'm concerned you belong elsewhere with your constant barrage of silly Questions that can be answered by your dizzying intellect on your own time with research. If you wanted a vehicle that gets awesome mileage...get a hybrid like a Prius and leave our community you self pretentious Smegma wagon. A lot of people are tired of your antics and constant childish questions.....Good luck out there Pal!

zanethan

This guy...

...soooo you’re willing to drop $2000 on a fuel system conversion to CNG but not willing to pay roughly $3.00 more per fill up on premium gas????! You would have to drive your Fiesta roughly 200,000 miles just to break even on the conversion vs. filling up with premium. Listen to the advice EVERYONE else has given you or stop asking ridiculous questions. We’ve answered all of your questions, you just refuse to accept the correct answers and deny reality.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This guy...

...soooo you’re willing to drop $2000 on a fuel system conversion to CNG but not willing to pay roughly $3.00 more per fill up on premium gas????! You would have to drive your Fiesta roughly 200,000 miles just to break even on the conversion vs. filling up with premium. Listen to the advice EVERYONE else has given you or stop asking ridiculous questions. We’ve answered all of your questions, you just refuse to accept the correct answers and deny reality.
100% Agreed

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #14
This guy...

I'm considering the possibility, and seeing what's out there.
It's not all about breaking even $$$ wise.

As far as your perceptions of me,
I think you live in another world. I'm not denying anything, and I'm not refusing to accept any 'correct answers',
You don't HAVE to answer the questions I have (if you actually have answered any question at all, that is); but as it appears, YOU didn't answer any question at all; so I don't think YOU should be saying anything about me accepting or not accepting answers.
It appears this forum has a lot of skilled people telling me exactly how I think.
I find that rather intriguing, how far you can miss the mark, and still believe in yourself.
Wondering if it's all the same user, with multiple accounts, trying to control the forum?

Meelee, you might find more information on the the CNG conversion subject at www.cngchat.com. It's been several years since I visited the site, but that place seemed to have an enthusiastic group that were sharing their knowledge and skills to others on this very specific subject.

zanethan

I'm considering the possibility, and seeing what's out there.
It's not all about breaking even $$$ wise.

I think you live in another world. I'm not denying anything, and I'm not refusing to accept any 'correct answers',
You don't HAVE to answer the questions I have (if you actually have answered any question at all, that is); but as it appears, YOU didn't answer any question at all; so I don't think YOU should be saying anything about me accepting or not accepting answers.
It appears this forum has a lot of skilled people telling me exactly how I think.
I find that rather intriguing, how far you can miss the mark, and still believe in yourself.
Wondering if it's all the same user, with multiple accounts, trying to control the forum?
I have, as have others have, answered your questions on numerous occasions. However, you ALWAYS come back and ignore the correct answers to pose your crazy theory. You want your +50hp go get a flash tune and run 87 octane. Haveeeee funnnnnn.

Also no... we’re not all the same user with different user names here to “control” the forum. What a load.

...this guy

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You seem to be going down the same path as you did when you were banned as ProDigit. It's kinda ironic that you'd suggest that there are people who have the time and pettiness to create multiple accounts when you, yourself, created the MeeLee account before your ProDigit account was banned. Perhaps playing games with multiple accounts was exactly what you had in mind before your ProDigit account was banned?

"I want more 50 cheap horsepower HP while running crappy gas, but maybe I'll give up loads of HP and range for a CNG conversation, or maybe I'll install a larger turbo for > $1500, but, still, use cheap gas, and I'm sure that I don't need a larger intercooler even though everyone on this forum tells me that's a must-have improvement for performance. In the meantime, I'm going to switch between the factory tunes using the sport and track modes even though my car doesn't have such a thing, cuz, man oh man, do I love spinning the tires in the rain in sport mode!! Oh, yeah, does anyone know how avoid burning my finger when I press the start button on really hot days?"

... this guy

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You seem to be going down the same path as you did when you were banned as ProDigit. It's kinda ironic that you'd suggest that there are people you have the time and pettiness to create multiple accounts when you, yourself, created the MeeLee account before your ProDigit account was banned. Perhaps playing games with multiple accounts was exactly what you had in mind before your ProDigit account was banned?

"I want more 50 cheap horsepower HP while running crappy gas, but maybe I'll give up loads of HP and range for a CNG conversation, or maybe I'll install a larger turbo for > $1500, but, still, use cheap gas, and I'm sure that I don't need a larger intercooler even though everyone on this forum tells me that's a must-have improvement for performance. In the meantime, I'm going to switch between the factory tunes using the sport and track modes even though my car doesn't have such a thing, cuz, man oh man, do I love spinning the tires in the rain in sport mode!! Oh, yeah, does anyone know how avoid burning my finger when I press the start button on reality hot days?"

... this guy
You win the day. Could have not been said better.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk