Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure

Hey all,

My FiST is at about 59k miles and just started having an issue where the engine will suddenly bog down during operation, not respond to any throttle or clutch input, and then shut off. It starts up just fine after that, and will sometimes go a long time without it happening (I've driven ~50 miles with no issues, or 0.5 miles and it happens twice). The dealership is saying it's the high pressure fuel pump and wants ~$800 to fix it (about half of that being parts). Looking on here, is this the same issue that some have fixed with a cam bucket replacement (https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...ta-ST-you-may-need-a-Cam-Bucket-replacement)? If there's more interest I have a breakdown in what the dealership is saying they need to replace available. If it comes down to it I will have them replace the pump, but if I can spend $20 instead of $800 that would be a nice alternative. Let me know what you all think.

EDIT: Asked for clarification on if pump was bad or if the pressure wasn't right. They said pump is actually bad. So now the question becomes do I pay them to fix it or do it myself. Breakdown is as follows:
- 2x bolts: $18
- 1x pump: $283.57
- 1x fuel pump feed pipe: $26.18
- Labor: $400
- Total with employee discount: ~$695

So if I did it myself I would only be paying for parts. Might skip the feed pipe as well. Has anyone done a high pressure fuel pump replacement before?

Matt

Last edited:
OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #3
I'd do the job myself. From videos that I've seen, it's pretty simple. Remove ignitors, top cover to expose the HPFP. Disconnect the plumbing and pull the mount bolts. There is a video on Youtube detailing the HPFP replacement. Good time to replace the bucket as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4GIwAD-GE
Yeah, that's where I settled. Ford parts is running a discount for 20% off if you spend 150 or more, that's even better than my employee discount. Getting the parts for just shy of $300. I did decide to grab the cup as well.

Really? So the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and 1 or 2 injectors failed?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Really? So the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and 1 or 2 injectors failed?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Yup. Just one injector but I figured might as well replace all of them. Now the car is running smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
This is why i wish we had an easily serviced fuel filter. Instead of just the sock in the tank. Gotta find a way to stop the goobers before they get into expensive parts.

( correct me if i wrong, but we only have that internal filter.)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is why i wish we had an easily serviced fuel filter. Instead of just the sock in the tank. Gotta find a way to stop the goobers before they get into expensive parts.

( correct me if i wrong, but we only have that internal filter.)
The intake one on the LPFP*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Direct injection injectors really do need some type of high quality fuel injector cleaner put in the fuel every now and then.

Direct injection injectors work in a dirty environment and the detergents that we have in gasoline are just not doing a good enough job to keep the carbon off of them.

In my personal opinion I believe this is why certain manufacturers actually recommend fuel injector cleaners as part of the scheduled maintenance.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I used to use Lucas in my old focus every couple of tanks but never tried it in the fist. Didn't know if it would hurt anything.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You really want to look for a product that has a high concentration of PEA.

It definitely won't hurt anything. I use a bottle of a high quality product before I change my oil.

Direct injection injectors really do need some type of high quality fuel injector cleaner put in the fuel every now and then.

Direct injection injectors work in a dirty environment and the detergents that we have in gasoline are just not doing a good enough job to keep the carbon off of them.

In my personal opinion I believe this is why certain manufacturers actually recommend fuel injector cleaners as part of the scheduled maintenance.

Do you recommend a type of cleaner? Trying to prevent from this happening again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
One of the most well known PolyEtherAmine/ PEA products is Chevron Techron* Food for thought... Gumout also has products with PEA in them.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk