Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Most reliable big turbo for lots of miles per year

TDavis

1000 Post Club
People are recommending the turbo/mfg., which was the question. They are not recommending the kit. Not including vendors into the equation who are pushing parts.

At least 2 that commented above are running DHM Garrett based turbo kits, make that 3 since including me with a DHM setup that are recommending Garrett. One of them was extremely disappointed with their ATP experience. There are many more ATP users out there with disappointments. Frankly there are many users with the kit because it's the affordable and a dime a dozen.

Of course there are some who love their ATP kits also.

Know your standards and don't compromise them. Stick with the big dogs like Garrett and Borg Warner, you can't go wrong, but kits should be another discussion altogether.
So we're saying this kit isn't good?

https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/col...en2-bolt-on-turbo-kit-for-2014-ford-fiesta-st

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'm saying know your standards and what you're buying.
I'm just trying to figure out what you're saying in terms of staying with BWD or Garrett. The ATP is Garrett so what specifically about ATP makes it not really recommended like the others?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm still turbo shopping.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm just trying to figure out what you're saying in terms of staying with BWD or Garrett. The ATP is Garrett so what specifically about ATP makes it not really recommended like the others?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm still turbo shopping.
ATP is not really Garrett, they're a Garrett/Honeywell distributor who put together a kit we all know as the ATP kit that happens to use Garrett turbochargers. Unfortunately the options this platform has for real "big turbos" is limit so there are few options on each side of the spectrum between performance, quality, and cost for instance.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
ATP is not really Garrett, they're a Garrett/Honeywell distributor who put together a kit we all know as the ATP kit that happens to use Garrett turbochargers. Unfortunately the options this platform has is limit so there are few options on each side of the spectrum between performance, quality, and cost for instance.
Well I wasn't saying ATP was literally Garrett, shitty wording on my part. I was just saying what about ATP's kit makes it iffy? I'm assuming the turbo itself is good since it is made by Garrett.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Well I wasn't saying ATP was literally Garrett, shitty wording on my part. I was just saying what about ATP's kit makes it iffy? I'm assuming the turbo itself is good since it is made by Garrett.
Again, this comes down to personal standards. I defer reasons to those that actually have or had one, but there are numerous complaints on FB and forum posts buried here.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Again, this comes down to personal standards. I defer reasons to those that actually have or had one, but there are numerous complaints on FB and forum posts buried here.
I've been searching to no avail. The only "complaint" I've found was the laggyness. The new gen2s I've heard are alot better and spool much faster but still being easier on the engine with later spools then hybrids.

OP
S
Thread Starter #28
So without DHM dead, who makes the kit? Are you stuck parting it together if parts pop up or does a turn key package exist

koozy

3000 Post Club
So without DHM dead, who makes the kit? Are you stuck parting it together if parts pop up or does a turn key package exist
To the best of my knowledge current options for a top to bottom "big turbo" manufactured kit are Peron, Pumaspeed and Full-Race. The latter being like bigfoot, rare LOL.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
What are the atp issues?
Trying to figure this out too because in the end its a Garrett turbo, which is a reputable company. Idk what about the "kit" makes it so bad. Can't find anything bad about it around google or forums.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's not so much of an "ATP" issue as it's more of an issue with people using manifold adapter plates on the fiesta. The nuts on the turbo to manifold studs can back out. Locktite should help.
It's with most of the Mountune MRX turbos that had problems with the nuts backing out that I've seen or heard of and it wasn't on the adapter plate it was on the exhaust housing.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
What are the atp issues?
Trying to figure this out too because in the end its a Garrett turbo, which is a reputable company. Idk what about the "kit" makes it so bad. Can't find anything bad about it around google or forums.
we run through a lot of ATP kits
the issues are install difficulty and poor hot side intercooler pipe design
I can't count how many weekends I've helped an install through text,calls, FB etc.

The biggest PITA with this kit are:
1 - getting the turbo on the manifold v-band "if" you didn't remove the manifold and install the turbo/manifold all in one piece which is suggested
2 - the oil drain, it's a tight fit but it fits - should probably add a piece if hose with 2 clamps to remove a section of the OEM oil drain similar to some other big turbo kits
3 - figuring out the oil, coolant, and boost solenoid lines. Constant issues and mistakes made here even when shops install the boost solenoid. It's install skill here, not kit issues
4 - crossover pipe - the ATP instructions show you can use the OEM crossover pipe which means any intake you'd install that utilizes the OEM mounting points on the valve cover should fit, well it doesn't. The cure for this has been the ITG crossover which has tons of adjustment opportunity or you'll have to source a silicone coupler that fits the 2860R/2867R inet and extends to your crossover or intake of choice. I don't see a coupler being a huge issue but the kits instructions are incorrect in that area
5 - hot side pipe included in the kit. Just doesn't match up "great" with the compressor connection plus the strange BOV mount is in a bad spot. I always suggest capping the BOV tube on the hot side pipe and using a cold side BOV direct mount BOV of your choice

I'm not sure there is much else
I've not heard of any complaints about exhaust adapter bolts backing out of the ATP kits but I have with MRX kit owners. I don't think a few loose bolts as a huge deal all things considered. Purchase locking fasteners or keep an eye on them periodically

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The intake elbow on the inlet that mates to the Stock pipe is incorrect..even with a adapter it was 1/4 inch gap.....I had to get a 3 inch elbow that reduces down to 2.75 in where the intake pipe connects in....On top of that I had to use a Stainless exhaust pipe and sleeve it....which means it now rides inside the intake pipe coupler to the 90° elbow on the 2.75 inch elbow end to join them....the is clamped on each coupler to seal it. Like I've said in the past....If anyone has install questions hit me up....it was a complete Cluster Fu*k with the ATP directions.....but they gave you a place to start. Theirs was done an Engine stand....not on the Vehicle also. Overall....I have been through a lot worse installs in my time.....any questions PM me and I'll help....as I have been there on this install.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
we run through a lot of ATP kits
the issues are install difficulty and poor hot side intercooler pipe design
I can't count how many weekends I've helped an install through text,calls, FB etc.

The biggest PITA with this kit are:
1 - getting the turbo on the manifold v-band "if" you didn't remove the manifold and install the turbo/manifold all in one piece which is suggested
2 - the oil drain, it's a tight fit but it fits - should probably add a piece if hose with 2 clamps to remove a section of the OEM oil drain similar to some other big turbo kits
3 - figuring out the oil, coolant, and boost solenoid lines. Constant issues and mistakes made here even when shops install the boost solenoid. It's install skill here, not kit issues
4 - crossover pipe - the ATP instructions show you can use the OEM crossover pipe which means any intake you'd install that utilizes the OEM mounting points on the valve cover should fit, well it doesn't. The cure for this has been the ITG crossover which has tons of adjustment opportunity or you'll have to source a silicone coupler that fits the 2860R/2867R inet and extends to your crossover or intake of choice. I don't see a coupler being a huge issue but the kits instructions are incorrect in that area
5 - hot side pipe included in the kit. Just doesn't match up "great" with the compressor connection plus the strange BOV mount is in a bad spot. I always suggest capping the BOV tube on the hot side pipe and using a cold side BOV direct mount BOV of your choice

I'm not sure there is much else
I've not heard of any complaints about exhaust adapter bolts backing out of the ATP kits but I have with MRX kit owners. I don't think a few loose bolts as a huge deal all things considered. Purchase locking fasteners or keep an eye on them periodically
Thanks. Those are the answers I’m looking for.

A few things so I can prepare myself:

-I’m getting the ITG crossover so that solves that immediate issue and headache.
-who offers a cold side BOV pipe? Also, how exactly do I cap off the BOV port on the provided hot side pipe?
-are the instructions not clear enough when it comes to the boost/coolant lines, is that why it’s difficult?
-what about the hot side pipe doesn’t fit “great” on the compressor side? Too short or u just have to massage it on?

The intake elbow on the inlet that mates to the Stock pipe is incorrect..even with a adapter it was 1/4 inch gap.....I had to get a 3 inch elbow that reduces down to 2.75 in where the intake pipe connects in....On top of that I had to use a Stainless exhaust pipe and sleeve it....which means it now rides inside the intake pipe coupler to the 90° elbow on the 2.75 inch elbow end to join them....the is clamped on each coupler to seal it. Like I've said in the past....If anyone has install questions hit me up....it was a complete Cluster Fu*k with the ATP directions.....but they gave you a place to start. Theirs was done an Engine stand....not on the Vehicle also. Overall....I have been through a lot worse installs in my time.....any questions PM me and I'll help....as I have been there on this install.

How come u don’t get the ITG crossover to remedy that headache?

Did you end up using the BOV port on the provided hot side pipe? How’d that go?

OP
S
Thread Starter #38
Boom. That’s the stuff I need to know.

So, I don’t suppose there’s accurate how-tos addressing those common screw ups? Could be helpful on someone swing vote shopping

So, a lot of this could be solved by getting the ported mani or the ram horn, and doing most of the assembly on the work bench along with the smooth intake tube?

Will the whole thing slide right in as a bench assembled unit?

OP
S
Thread Starter #39
This thread just got really informative and confidence inspiring

Thanks so far, all

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks. Those are the answers I’m looking for.

A few things so I can prepare myself:

-I’m getting the ITG crossover so that solves that immediate issue and headache.
-who offers a cold side BOV pipe? Also, how exactly do I cap off the BOV port on the provided hot side pipe?
-are the instructions not clear enough when it comes to the boost/coolant lines, is that why it’s difficult?
-what about the hot side pipe doesn’t fit “great” on the compressor side? Too short or u just have to massage it on?

How come u don’t get the ITG crossover to remedy that headache?

Did you end up using the BOV port on the provided hot side pipe? How’d that go?
I have the whoosh intake pipe/cross over pipe. The BOV is just fine that and it stays out of the way during an oil change when you pull the plug. If you end up getting a Garrett let me know....I'll show you how mine sits if you need reference.

Ford Community Posts