Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Most reliable big turbo for lots of miles per year

I drive around 60k/yr (miles) and want to know why the best bet is.

Mountune has the Mrx on sale (ish... $1850 with actuator)

Others from Ron are a little steeper but look a little better QC and more boost.

This is a work car and I don’t need to pop something incidentally but looking for a little more oooomph when playing on the highway

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

Others from Ron are a little steeper but look a little better QC and more boost.

This is a work car and I don’t need to pop something incidentally but looking for a little more oooomph when playing on the highway
I can help sort you out
If cost is an issue we ship ATP 2860R Gen2 kits all the time for the best price out there. Just message me for better pricing than site price.
There are options to reduce spool with this kit such as our VUDU CNC ported manifold that has proven to reduce spool by 300-400RPM even with the MRX kit from Mountune

We also will have Peron cast manifolds soon that will also cost less than fabricated tubular and will help things along as well for the ATP kits if you'd want to add it later down the road.

Either way we have you covered, let me know how I can help

I can help sort you out
If cost is an issue we ship ATP 2860R Gen2 kits all the time for the best price out there. Just message me for better pricing than site price.
There are options to reduce spool with this kit such as our VUDU CNC ported manifold that has proven to reduce spool by 300-400RPM even with the MRX kit from Mountune

We also will have Peron cast manifolds soon that will also cost less than fabricated tubular and will help things along as well for the ATP kits if you'd want to add it later down the road.

Ron, I didnt realize that manifold would save that much on spool even with MRX. Im on MRX right now and would like to see that spool time drop a bit. Do you have any info on how it performs with MRX power wise, or what the top end looks like??? Also any details you can share on the Peron option that is soon to come? What style will it be?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Ron, I didnt realize that manifold would save that much on spool even with MRX. Im on MRX right now and would like to see that spool time drop a bit. Do you have any info on how it performs with MRX power wise, or what the top end looks like??? Also any details you can share on the Peron option that is soon to come? What style will it be?
I simply received an email from a customer explaining the results
Not much else to share
I'm not at all surprised though ATP turbo kit owners have been snatching up these manifolds like crazy because it helps. You do have to open up your adapter plate on the MRX and ATP to 42mm as well to match the manifold for this to work properly but that's easy compared to trying to port the entire manifold yourself
The CNC option makes things exact every time which was truly the way to go and shows the way things are done at AET

As for the Peron cast manifold, it will be stock size at the flange most likely as it is deemed a super stock manifold
The design of the manifold is still being tested but I think the pics of the ram horn style will end up being the way the manifold is produced. That's purely speculation on my part

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Are these turbos good with being tuned reliably for around 300whp where the fuel runs out? I don’t know I want to go full crazy and run the secondary fueling but would like a good housing and bearing with good spool time around 300

pwnall1337

Vendor
Are these turbos good with being tuned reliably for around 300whp where the fuel runs out? I don’t know I want to go full crazy and run the secondary fueling but would like a good housing and bearing with good spool time around 300
Hey There :)

We have many options to choose from as well that may fit your requirements. While we do carry the gen 2 gtx2860r kits, for your power goal I'd recommend an x47r. You'll max out around 280whp on 93 octane and require an ethanol mix to hit 300+whp, however with the x47r you'll have a much better tq curve than the GT25 series turbos (MRX) and the car will respond with boost close to stock where as the GT25 turbo series will really change how the car feels and responds. In regards to reliability, I think the Pumaspeed x37 (265whp) on 93 octane is the king, but that's only because it came out 3 years ago and there are multiple cars running that turbo for over 60k miles and it's proven to take years of abuse. The x47r is also reliable, but it's a newer unit so it still has time to season. There are a few cars with over 30-40k miles running the x47r on here and I've had mine installed since February.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up at sales@pwnallperformance.com or shoot me a PM.

http://pwnallperformance.com/Fiesta-ST-Pumaspeed-X47R-Turbocharger_p_12.html

http://pwnallperformance.com/Fiesta...-Turbosmart-14-PSI-WGA-Limited-Time_p_92.html

Below is a video of my car with an x47r putting two car lengths on a c7 corvette.

[video=youtube;Gl24tYN6yZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl24tYN6yZE[/video]

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
The X series turbos are intriguing but bearings and oil supply worry me as does overall efficiency. Power wheels work in some applications but I haven’t seen many cars with miles on them let alone with what I do per year. I can’t afford to be 120 miles from home with a popped turbo, so the appeal of a “real” turbo is there

jeff

2000 Post Club
The X series turbos are intriguing but bearings and oil supply worry me as does overall efficiency. Power wheels work in some applications but I haven’t seen many cars with miles on them let alone with what I do per year. I can’t afford to be 120 miles from home with a popped turbo, so the appeal of a “real” turbo is there
Whether it was people in America or Mexico or Pluto that put my Fiesta together, I am 100% certain that a performance shop like Pumaspeed that is known worldwide, winning awards, etc. has employees that are putting their products together with more care and precision and accuracy that the ones who put my Ford together. So the idea that the hybrid products are somehow less quality than a "real" turbo is not one I believe at all. If anything the stuff made by Puma and others who actually care about what they're doing is of far better build quality than what Ford turns out.

Heck my AC compressor died at 4,000 miles. At the same time my actuator died. When I installed my exhaust guess what one of my downpipe bolts was crossthreaded from the factory. How do you crossthread a freaking downpipe bolt and not know you did it.....a person would actually have to work hard to crossthread that thing....the answer is easy - you don't give a crap and rush through it. After seeing what Ford turns out, I have much more confidence in Pumaspeed products (or any other reputable vendor). I'm more worried about my AC dying again than I am about my hybrid turbo popping as you say.

A turbo is a turbo. The killer of any turbo is undue heat, lack of oil as stated and over speeding. As long as the bearing clearances are ok and there's plenty of lubrication, then it's going to work just as good as any other turbo for the most part. A hybrid turbo isn't overspeeding it's bearings, it has a different compressor wheel to flow more air volume. This usually results in a slower impeller speed per given boost level than a stocker. There are inherent limitations to all hybrids. You can only put so big of a wheel in a given housing. That's where an aftermarket turbo comes in to play. Pick your power level goals and choose accordingly I say.

pwnall1337

Vendor
The x37 series that we carry is a true stage 3 turbo upgrade and has proven very relaible since it's release. $1499.99 with a turbosmart wga is a steal.

Se7eN

I can help sort you out

this is very interesting, MRX starts making decent boost (15psi+) at around 3,500 in 4th gear so it would be really nice to have it start earlier.

I can help sort you out

Ron,

Will the Vudu manifold match up with an x47r? Definitely interested in one!

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club

I would go ATP GTX2860 if it was may car. It will max out the fuel system @300whp and not break a sweat. I personally feel a garret is 1000x's better then any hybrid out there in terms of reliability. I've had my 2860 for 2 years and counting without an issue. Also, if you get bored @300hp you can add aux fuel and push towards the 400 mark.

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Just buy an AP3 from Cobb and get a E30 and premium tune from Dizzy tuning or stratified tuning......therefore you will not have to de-mod it or worry. If its your car and your keeping it for awhile id look into a Hybrid or Big turbo setup.....But then again....Different strokes for different folks. [ridinghorse]

I own a Gen2 GTX2860 with all the supporting mods.....Keeping it for a long long time!

V_2

FWIW, I've been running the same GT2560r in two different cars for a little under 60k miles and it hasn't missed a beat.

OP
S
Thread Starter #17
Car is mine and full bolt ons, Adams lifetime tune and probably looking like I’ll end up with the atp like people are recommending.

I had a weird taste in my mouth with it from other things I’ve read but they seem reliable

koozy

3000 Post Club
People are recommending the turbo/mfg., which was the question. They are not recommending the kit. Not including vendors into the equation who are pushing parts.

At least 2 that commented above are running DHM Garrett based turbo kits, make that 3 since including me with a DHM setup that are recommending Garrett. One of them was extremely disappointed with their ATP experience. There are many more ATP users out there with disappointments. Frankly there are many users with the kit because it's the affordable and a dime a dozen.

Of course there are some who love their ATP kits also.

Know your standards and don't compromise them. Stick with the big dogs like Garrett and Borg Warner, you can't go wrong, but kits should be another discussion altogether.