Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake Caliper Siezed - Car in shop over a month

brbauer2

Part numbers get changed regularly and for various reasons including a change in supplier. But it'll be interesting check back on this in a year.

Redesigns. Are. Not. Done. Trivially.

The old part would be devalued... virtually worthless if the old design is deemed defective. So imagine if you're one of many resellers who are now, seemingly stuck with $50,000 worth of Motorcraft stock? Myself and others have our doubts, particularly IF the parts have remained unchanged since the introduction of the Fiesta ST. We're more inclined to believe that the standard Fiesta part, from a Focus, or maybe even wrong generation was being used. But if this is true, then this would be big. I also can't believe that the dealer would be willing to tie up a lift for several weeks to months, just waiting on a part. Plug the line, slap the wheel back on, throw the other parts in the trunk and roll that thing to a corner of the lot somewhere.

See the 12 minute mark on this 2013...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3DD136B50C80620B18273DD136B50C80&&FORM=VRDGAR
https://youtu.be/QJ5Q6-Ee0UQ?t=727

Speculation may be worthless, but I feel it helps the imagination; as well as confirm and eliminate the obvious. Calipers typically seize because there's too much heat. There are a few scenarios I can speculate about... caliper slide not working properly and thus, not allowing the pad to back off enough. This would be evident via grossly uneven pad wear. Description says hoses not reaching, holes not lining up. Holes for what? The calipers or the hoses or both? Why would the replacement part be any different than the original? Perhaps they do reach, but are getting kinked or pinched when the suspension maxes out. But if that's the case then why would the caliper need to be redesigned, as opposed to the hoses? Perhaps there are two independent issues that are being confused.

Bottom line is we don't have enough information for anything to make any sense.
We have enough information to know something is fishy.

OP, have you seen the car since this started? Have them show you the parts and explain what the problem is.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If your car is in for service for over 30 cumulative days within the first 18k miles or 18months of ownership *with a verified, documented issue* in the state of CA, the manufacturer is required by law to purchase the vehicle back from you. If you're outside that window, you can probably still have a lemon lawyer arrange a buyback. My last toy car before my fiesta, fiat 500 abarth, was in for service for 4 of the first 12 months of ownership. The vehicle was purchased back using a lemon lawyer. He's the one that informed me of the statutes as well as possibility of exceptions.

OP
E
Thread Starter #23
1650486474.jpg

After I asked the C.S.M. about my vehicle and giving me the exact reason why my car was in the shop. I asked about the brake caliper etc. That was what I just got back. Calling a L.L. Lawyer today and BBB and BAR today.

brbauer2

View attachment 18989

After I asked the C.S.M. about my vehicle and giving me the exact reason why my car was in the shop. I asked about the brake caliper etc. That was what I just got back. Calling a L.L. Lawyer today and BBB and BAR today.
Wow, I had no idea part numbers were so secretive [emoji35]

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

OP
E
Thread Starter #25
Finally got some answers, the brakes were recalled. I was told there was a mistake with the programming/machining process. This error made it out into production and out to shops from what I was informed. The new caliper won't begin production until January or something of that sort and then they need to ship so the car may be in the shop until January/February. Ford is offering to match payments for the months in the shop.

This is where I figure if i want the car gone and go for over 30 day in the shop lemon warranty repair and get reimbursed or keep the thing.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Finally got some answers, the brakes were recalled. I was told there was a mistake with the programming/machining process. This error made it out into production and out to shops from what I was informed. The new caliper won't begin production until January or something of that sort and then they need to ship so the car may be in the shop until January/February. Ford is offering to match payments for the months in the shop.

This is where I figure if i want the car gone and go for over 30 day in the shop lemon warranty repair and get reimbursed or keep the thing.
I'd look at it this way.....The situation has been remedied and How much do you really like your car? If you like it as much I like mine I'd keep it.....But if you're Fed up with ford and would like to try and get into something else now would be the time. Don't do something that will make you wonder what if either....But I guess that's your Quagmire here...To keep or not to keep. Good luck! [drinking]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
So they had a bad run of replacement parts; made obvious by the fact that the holes do not perfectly align. That makes more sense than the original design being defective.

While they are required to use "Genuine Motorcraft" parts, you are not.

Acquiring your own part and having them reimburse you for that, would be cheaper than them having to reimburse you for >$1,000 in rental fees. Not only are there quality aftermarket options, (Brimbo, Willwood, etc...), but undoubtedly there are some businesses, (like RockAuto.Com) that will have Motorcraft parts that predate the bad run of parts.

Ford Community Posts