Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I agree, and for that reason it's confusing. It does max out the fuel system, in theory the tuner could play with all those variables but I'm not sure that's the case as you'll see in my next paragraph.

Well I'm done with ethanol tuning, and a bit disappointed. Not sure if it's the ethanol or my tuner. I got a base tune, did some logs, and got a very mildly adjusted revision and was told that was it. I think he's so good at making an optimal OTS tune that he's sending that out and moving on to bigger and better things. In the past I got 3-6 revisions per tune, this one got only one. So I'm not sure if that is part of the disappointment, maybe the tune isn't optimized....or maybe it's just that I'm unrealistic in my expectations for ethanol especially after a race gas tune.

So I did some runs, Vdyno says 270hp/300tq which doesn't make sense because my 93 tune gets me 282hp on Vdyno. That's why I wonder if this tune is as good as it could be. In any case the car does feel smooth and quicker than on 93 but not a huge amount more. I know another X47 that is making about 300hp on e30. I know Vdyno isn't everything but I have to wonder what's going on here. From everything I'm being told the ethanol tune should be somewhere between my 93 tune and my race gas tune, but it's under both. Again it could be the Vdyno, by no means am I saying that is an objective way to measure these things. My ethanol is good quality, the air was crisp.......just not sure what's up. Maybe I'll do more runs later.

Having said all that I don't think I'll be in a hurry to spend the time/money on a real dyno for this tune since it's a bit underwhelming.

In terms of butt dyno it is quicker than 93 but not as quick as the RG tune. 93 feels quick, e30 feels quicker, RG feels outright beastly. Not gonna bother posting graphs because I don't trust them for the reasons above.

Overall I suppose this is a cheaper way to get a bit more power. MPG will suffer and I'll post some data on that after a tank or two.
    I would think that you should get more than 270/300, especially when you are using 93 octane to get your E30 blend. I'm using 91 octane for my E30 and my dyno run was 282/307. Even though I'm running a Revo S242 turbo, the performance between the X47 and S242 should be similar. This was not a Vdyno number, but a run on a Dynojet dyno. I've not used Vdyno yet, so I don't know what numbers it would spit out for my data logs.
    Revo Hybrid turbo with Tune+ Turbosmart wastegate actuator, Turbosmart electronic diverter valve, Ram crossover pipe, Whoosh Silicone induction hose,ST200 Intake, Mishimoto Hot and Cold side Pipes, Whoosh FMIC, Cobb Cat-Back Exhaust, Whoosh catted downpipe, Eibach Lowering Springs, Wilwood BBK, 280mm Rear Brake Upgrade, Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED Fog/Driving Lights. Peron 4 Port Aux Fuel System.Tuned by Adam at Tune+.

Senior Member 874 Rep Points jeff's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I would be interested in joining if thats OK! I dyno'd the Dizzy 93 tune there and am curious what the OTS E30 tune makes.
    Sure thing you're welcome to come. I'll let you know when I get ready to schedule it. It will most likely be on a Monday though if they're open, I've got an Audi buddy who will probably make the trip with me and that's both of our day off-ish. If that works for you it would be epic to meet you and see another forum car.

Quote Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
    I would think that you should get more than 270/300, especially when you are using 93 octane to get your E30 blend. I'm using 91 octane for my E30 and my dyno run was 282/307. Even though I'm running a Revo S242 turbo, the performance between the X47 and S242 should be similar. This was not a Vdyno number, but a run on a Dynojet dyno. I've not used Vdyno yet, so I don't know what numbers it would spit out for my data logs.
    Exactly, that's why I'm meh about the whole thing. I'd be curious to know what your Vdyno numbers are but since we have different setups it won't be that relevant, but it's still interesting to know how V dyno compares to the real thing.

My race gas concentrate tune did 298/322 on the real dyno but only 292/300 on Vdyno.
    Hey, check out my build thread!

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small update...

So after a week on this tune I think the car is waking up a bit...maybe the ECU needed to relearn plus with the temp changes I'm probably driving differently. Anyhow here are a few things to report:

- mpg has dropped from 30 on 93 octane consistently to 25 on e30...at this rate I'll get 300 miles to the tank as opposed to 360ish...
    - in the cold (40 degrees) with cold tires 3rd gear is spinning. That never happened on 93 octane...
    - boost and airflow are about what I would see with the race gas tune (99 octane) in this weather, just a tad less but comparable...see pic below...
    - Cobb AP estimated HP and TQ are more like what I was expecting....I don't trust these a whole lot as Cobb themselves told me on the phone a while back that those calibrations were set up for stock turbo...however these numbers are closer to what it should be versus to the Vdyno runs I took a week ago...
    - Africa by Toto was playing on the radio today so things were extra epic...
    - a friend asked for some cockpit video on this tune so I'll be doing a video in the next week or so when I have time...

Member 58 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ off-topic, but is that a hacked interface for sync? looks different than mine
    18 magnetic base Fiesta ST / 89 BMW 325 / E36 BMW Champcar / C6 Corvette.
    Link to my build / Link to my Race Team's page

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob question but what is that Current Gear PID?

Also I feel your pain on E30. I have been getting 22-25mpg since switching. The power is more than worth it!
    2014 Molten Orange
    Pwnall IC, Dizzy 93/E30 V2 tune, Injen Intake
    Boomba Recirculating BPV, Sparco Pro Corsa+Indy 500

Member #
    Medals
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Noob question but what is that Current Gear PID?

Also I feel your pain on E30. I have been getting 22-25mpg since switching. The power is more than worth it!
    Tells you what gear you're in. Surprisingly useful. When in neutral or clutch depressed it registers 15, otherwise it tells you what gear you're in.

Camera a bit shaky and rattley but here's a vid:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12