Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Autozone and AAP brake pads

It's almost time for a brake job on my car. The pads started squealing. I might get a few giggles for asking this, but has anyone used either the Autozone Duralast Max semi-metallics or the Advanced Auto Wearever Platinum semi-metallics on this car before?

The higher-end name brands are a bit pricey. I don't track or do auto-x. I do like the bite of the OEM pads though. The brake dust is annoying, but I can live with it. Would like to find something similar for a reasonable price.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I do neither....i got carbotechs 1521/bobcat pads front and rear. Worth every penny! This and tires.....you get what you pay for man. I Wk for the Zone still part time....their pads are decent...lifetime warranty including wear! Thats the biggest catch is you never have to buy pads again. I still went with the Carbotechs! Oakos is who you would need to contact. Their pads dust very minmal ....compared to the stockers. Good luck!
It's almost time for a brake job on my car. The pads started squealing. I might get a few giggles for asking this, but has anyone used either the Autozone Duralast Max semi-metallics or the Advanced Auto Wearever Platinum semi-metallics on this car before?

The higher-end name brands are a bit pricey. I don't track or do auto-x. I do like the bite of the OEM pads though. The brake dust is annoying, but I can live with it. Would like to find something similar for a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

I just installed the cheapest Duralast pads.. and damn if I didn’t throw the box away, but it says something about being designed with OEM performing materials or something to the effect. Now, they don’t bite like the motorcraft and didn’t really get a snappy feel for about 200 miles.. I can’t tell a difference now. Maybe they do grab? Dunno. Can’t tell if they are making as much dust. We went on a trip to the mountains and I have salt everywhere at the moment, so I can’t objectively say one way or the other.

Given my experience with the “S” pad and cheap Duralast pads, as long as they last like the “S” pads, I’ll keep them coming on warranty.

Typhoon knows his shit too. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but if you don’t mind paying a hair more, buy a better pad than the Duralast. I took the cheap way out. I also am running Federal all seasons. They are working fine, and did their job on lightly snowed and iced roads. I would have done Michelin’s had I been able to spend the money. If they last 25k, it was money well spent.

OP: I do have the Duralast Max Semi Metallics. 1,500 miles in.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had the michelin A/S 3's on it when i bought it....completly worthless in any amount of snow. I am getting Continental Dws extreme to replace the bridgstones i got on another pair of wheels i'm rolling now during the warmer months....and Pirelli sotto Zeros in the cold winter white shit.

Jerickson88

I had the michelin A/S 3's on it when i bought it....completly worthless in any amount of snow. I am getting Continental Dws extreme to replace the bridgstones i got on another pair of wheels i'm rolling now during the warmer months....and Pirelli sotto Zeros in the cold winter white shit.

I had the bridgestones in about 4-5” and that was due to situation and absolutely awful. The federal I bought were to see if I like an all season and to find out if I like the 215/40 size. Are the Contis available in the 215/40? I remember them looking pretty decent..

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I would go with the performance OEM pad. The OEM pad that comes with the summer tires. The cars that came with all season tires had a different pad.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

I would go with the performance OEM pad. The OEM pad that comes with the summer tires. The cars that came with all season tires had a different pad.

I looked for a while. Did they condense those into the performance pad?

I got the Autozone Ceramic pads. They were special order and if I remember right cost $67.00. I replaced the stock front pads after only 3000 miles. It could be the heat down here in South Florida but there was so much brake dust from the stock pads it was caking on the wheels like a grime that I had to almost scrape off- and every 2 days. And this is on my commute, not track use- mostly highway with not too much braking. I never experienced so much brake dust in my 42 years of driving and servicing vehicles. So I changed them out for the most reasonable Ceramic pads I could find. It took 20 minutes and to me they are absolutely great- same as stock for bite and no more brakes dust.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If dust is the concern there are plenty of products you can put on your wheels to prevent things from sticking so bad and make it much easier to clean. Nothing special about ceramic pads anymore in today's age you can get them for $20 bucks on RockAuto.