Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best cooling options?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So after a WOT pull today that raised my charge air temps about 35 degrees (ambient air was 37 and charge air temps went to 73) I'm seriously considering cooling mods next. I have been looking at the CPe FMIC but am also looking to upgrade the radiator, thermostat and oil cooler. I am looking at mishimoto for all 3. Are there any better brands out there I should also consider?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So after a WOT pull today that raised my charge air temps about 35 degrees (ambient air was 37 and charge air temps went to 73) I'm seriously considering cooling mods next. I have been looking at the CPe FMIC but am also looking to upgrade the radiator, thermostat and oil cooler. I am looking at mishimoto for all 3. Are there any better brands out there I should also consider?
Stock turbo?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Yeah stock turbo but I'd like some future proofing because eventually I'd like to go big turbo.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah stock turbo but I'd like some future proofing because eventually I'd like to go big turbo.
There are plenty of intercoolers that arent $700+....if it was me id get either a MAP intercooler.....BravoAlpha or ATP.....even getting one second hand isnt a bad idea....same with a Turbo....its what i did....i bought a Gt2554 used....waited to put it in then got a smoking deal that came along for a Gen2 GTX2860r brand new in box.....sold the Gt2554 and here i am today. I also had a BravoAlpha intercooler just show up in the mail the otherday....will be installing that....[emoji16].....Very nice intercooler i might add for the price! Made by a former FiST owner and member of the Forum....Start compiling a boatload of parts....scour the forum for used and new deals from members....you will save a ton Vs. Retail! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I would log oil and coolant temps before you just start throwing money at stuff. Intercoolers, however, are a known weak point.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
@ ron@whoosh;

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of 'on the margin' (i.e.; 95*F ambients, and hard use) temp drops over the factory radiator with this Pro Alloy radiator and the Mountune radiator?

Also, is this part brazed together in Jolly Ol' England, or elsewhere?
2 pass, 3 pass??

I am looking for whichever aftermarket radiator will give the MOST temp drop when used with a (more air blocking) bar and plate type IC. ;)

Last edited:
blah blah blah, just put the big intercooler on the freakin car and be done with it. cpe user here and its only money. temp rise now is less than 10 degrees on cool day and even hot as @#$% days it is still only 15. and no I don't have any logs to prove it. lol. boyracer

XanRules

The CPE is a very good intercooler, but you can get away with a cheaper intercooler on a stock turbo, especially if you aren't tracking the car.

Whoosh, DEPO, Pwnall, MTC, and Cobb all use the same core for their intercoolers - I believe it's a Treadstone - and are well-reviewed and well-liked.

I don't know which cores the MAP and CPE use, but they are different than the above mentioned cores and both of those are made in-house in the USA.

The $650 Mishimoto intercooler appears to be identical to the "High Performance Intercooler" on eBay that sells for approximately $200. Some of the Mustang guys A/B'd the two (Mishimoto FMIC for the EcoBoost Mustang and High Performance FMIC for the EcoBoost Mustang) and they were completely identical in every way. Dimensions, weight, materials, core, etc. It is reasonable to suspect that this is the same case for the Fiesta ST intercooler but cannot be certain.

There are other options but these are the ones I am most familiar with.

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
whoosh has a very inexpensive fmic give ron a try plus his website has some this nice radiator with a built in oilcooler next to it looks freaking sweet.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-alloy-radiator-and-oil-cooler-fiesta-st-2014
keep in mind our new V2 intercooler will be available in a few short weeks
it's the largest stock fitment available and will still be in the $350 range
I'm anxious to not be grouped with the list of "same" intercoolers with the "same" core because our new V2 is ours and won't be the same as any other available [thumb]

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Damn it Ron! You make us all regret previous purchases. Not necessarily from you. It's just that you keep bringing new parts to the market.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
lol i was saying the same thing as i was staring at the cobb i/c [V]
Now I'm thinking about how much I could sell my depo for lol. I want either the rt330 or x47/x47r. I wonder how much the larger ic would help?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Having rode in a car with Revo’s previous turbo to the RT330 all I can say is I came away liking it a lot.
I like Revo’s approach. Rather than modding a stock housing to fit bigger parts they had Turbo Technics build a whole new proper housing.
From an enginneering standpoint this is a lot safer way to go.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Having rode in a car with Revo’s previous turbo to the RT330 all I can say is I came away liking it a lot.
I like Revo’s approach. Rather than modding a stock housing to fit bigger parts they had Turbo Technics build a whole new proper housing.
From an enginneering standpoint this is a lot safer way to go.
I feel the same way. Reliability was #1 and my concern about all the hybrids. But now I drive my car 3k a year as apposed to 30k a year. It's a 15 I bought new and it now has 98k. The x47 is quite a bit cheaper. Witch makes it easier to convince the wife it's a good idea.