Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tail light flasher module

Hello all. I have two flasher modules for brake lights sitting at my house and want to know if there is a way to install them on the tail lights of the fiesta. I have Spec D LED taillights but the modules look to install in the actual vehicle wiring. What wires would I have to tap into to get this to work? There’s a positive and negative wire on each side, and the sides say input and output (obviously to show direction of install). I would like to find a solution to this before giving up and only doing the 3rd brake light like many have, I’m just not very good with wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello all. I have two flasher modules for brake lights sitting at my house and want to know if there is a way to install them on the tail lights of the fiesta. I have Spec D LED taillights but the modules look to install in the actual vehicle wiring. What wires would I have to tap into to get this to work? There’s a positive and negative wire on each side, and the sides say input and output (obviously to show direction of install). I would like to find a solution to this before giving up and only doing the 3rd brake light like many have, I’m just not very good with wiring.

I don't think you're allowed to do all the brake lights as it falls into looking like a emergency/law enforcement vehicle. But I could be wrong here.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I don't think there would be a law for that since many vehicles use their brake light as a turn signal so they're already flashing anyway. I still would not do it for the main brake lights because they will probably not flash in unison. It's all resistance based and you can NEVER get the same amount of resistance on each side, especially with 2 separate modules. I guarantee one will flash quicker than the other. This is on the assumption that these are a steady-flash module. If they only flash 3x then stay on, you can probably get away with it. In that case, you would just splice the module inline with the signal wire for the brake lamp. Use a multimeter to verify which wire it is, or look up the wiring schematic for the taillight if available. Also, don't do it because it will look tacky. :D

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't think there would be a law for that since many vehicles use their brake light as a turn signal so they're already flashing anyway. I still would not do it for the main brake lights because they will probably not flash in unison. It's all resistance based and you can NEVER get the same amount of resistance on each side, especially with 2 separate modules. I guarantee one will flash quicker than the other. This is on the assumption that these are a steady-flash module. If they only flash 3x then stay on, you can probably get away with it. In that case, you would just splice the module inline with the signal wire for the brake lamp. Use a multimeter to verify which wire it is, or look up the wiring schematic for the taillight if available. Also, don't do it because it will look tacky. :D
I have the Third brake light model done on mine and I also have LED tail lights from spec-d if that's what you're referring too...no issues and the police still haven't pulled me over for the CHMSL mod I did!

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Lol not worried about being tacky just want to keep people from hitting me. Already happened once. A few friends have modded theirs and said it really cuts down on tailgating and the data is there to prove it increased driver awareness by a huge margin. I’ll see them so I don’t care what it looks like lol. But yea they blink 4 times fast then stay lit. Also cops in my area have more to worry about than taillights so I’ll take my chances there but I don’t know anyone that’s been messed with over them either.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
What I bought- 3rd brake light flasher - fast flash 24:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...FSVZ5J8EETADFCZZ&pd_rd_w=Jyyvd&pd_rd_wg=f9DmE

I love it!! I tried the flashing led bulbs, but for some reason just flashed constantly with the car running.

Turns out I like this design much better as it's brighter and more focused in one area makes it stand out better. Cost $10 and is an extremely easy install.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
What I bought- 3rd brake light flasher - fast flash 24:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...FSVZ5J8EETADFCZZ&pd_rd_w=Jyyvd&pd_rd_wg=f9DmE

I love it!! I tried the flashing led bulbs, but for some reason just flashed constantly with the car running.

Turns out I like this design much better as it's brighter and more focused in one area makes it stand out better. Cost $10 and is an extremely easy install.
Yea I have 2 modules just like that but I want to wire them to my taillights. Just trying to find which wire is for the brake light.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Yea I have 2 modules just like that but I want to wire them to my taillights. Just trying to find which wire is for the brake light.

There should be some info floating around. I found out the wiring set up for my 3rd brake light (which color is pos, which color is ground) via some google searching.

Are you saying the spec d is different in that respect? I thought it was a 'plug and play' deal.

Edit: I tried google searching for it and couldn't find the schematic.... without paying for it, that is

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
Spec D is only different because you have to repin the connector. But I’ll be tapping into the harness on the car side so the wire colors should still be the same if I can find which one is the brake light. There’s a couple different colors in there.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Spec D is only different because you have to repin the connector. But I’ll be tapping into the harness on the car side so the wire colors should still be the same if I can find which one is the brake light. There’s a couple different colors in there.

I see.
I tried googling it and couldn't find anything short of paying for the wiring manual that Ford published

You sir, deserve a medal. Thank you!

legit if anyone needs any wiring diagram for any car i have access to it, just ask and rep+ lol

edit: just remember to spice into the ground and not cut it since it is the ground for all the other bulbs as well

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
legit if anyone needs any wiring diagram for any car i have access to it, just ask and rep+ lol

edit: just remember to spice into the ground and not cut it since it is the ground for all the other bulbs as well
Thanks!

Intuit

3000 Post Club

To add to this recommendation, avoid use of clap-down style wire taps...

They often break strands, lowering the wire's capacity. Caps and taps have no place in an automotive setting.

When tapping my rear speaker wires, carefully stripped off a section of insulation, wrapped additional wire around the bare section, then soldered the wires into place.

The more heat you expose the wires to, the worse they will conduct electricity. So limit heat to only what is necessary. Practice soldering on a test strip. Keep the tip clean of build-up. Good stuff - https://www.radioshack.com/products/silver-bearing-solder

OP
D
Thread Starter #16
To add to this recommendation, avoid use of clap-down style wire taps...

They often break strands, lowering the wire's capacity. Caps and taps have no place in an automotive setting.

When tapping my rear speaker wires, carefully stripped off a section of insulation, wrapped additional wire around the bare section, then soldered the wires into place.

The more heat you expose the wires to, the worse they will conduct electricity. So limit heat to only what is necessary. Practice soldering on a test strip. Keep the tip clean of build-up. Good stuff - https://www.radioshack.com/products/silver-bearing-solder
I got heat shrink butt connectors to make the connections. I always used them to do off-road lighting and they worked great. Soldering is on my to-learn list!

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I got heat shrink butt connectors to make the connections. I always used them to do off-road lighting and they worked great. Soldering is on my to-learn list!

I did the same, except the connectors didn't have heat shrink. I have a roll of the standard type of shrink that i cut to size.

Soldering is great, but my parking garage Doesn't have an outlet near my car, not in the mood to break out the super long extension cord.

Honestly though, ole school twist and tape method works good as well [emoji6]

OP
D
Thread Starter #18
Well the flasher modules are in! Working perfectly and definitely grabs your attention. I’ll try to post a video when I get time. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and info!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I did the same, except the connectors didn't have heat shrink. I have a roll of the standard type of shrink that i cut to size.

Soldering is great, but my parking garage Doesn't have an outlet near my car, not in the mood to break out the super long extension cord.

Honestly though, ole school twist and tape method works good as well [emoji6]
You do know they make butane soldering irons? Benz-o-matic makes a good one...I own two....they are like $20 in a kit with all the adapters....FYI

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
You do know they make butane soldering irons? Benz-o-matic makes a good one...I own two....they are like $20 in a kit with all the adapters....FYI

Good idea, thanks! I've never used a butane soldering iron before. I'm gonna get one.

The butt connectors are ok as long as you crimp them correctly, but soldering is better.