Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Final drive with big turbo?

About to crack open my transmission and put in an LSD, figured while I was in there I could also throw in the final drive Whoosh sells, effectively taking the final drive from 3.8:1 to 4.3:1 I plan on going BT in about 6 months and thought the final drive would help down low, off the line. I can't seem to find many people who have done the swap, let alone their impressions with it.

So... Good idea or bad idea to swap the final drive in?

Thanks!
Nick

I can't imagine wanting shorter gears unless a dedicated racecar. I would imagine if you had a racecar build and extended the redline for more powerband you could use a shorter drive, but on the street or even mixed use you'll just blow the tires off in more gears and sit higher in the revs on the highway.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
4.3 gears are a blast on the street and around town. Lot of 240sx guys did it. Even though the cars came with 4.08 stock.
You will be a rocket out of the hole. Your top speed will be severely reduced though. Expect to be revvving above 3k at 80 mph. You will probably top out around 110-115 compared to the 139 mph the car is capable of from the factory.
Though ya off the line around town it will be a terror, in the Canyons and on track it will be monster out of the corners. Great for short tracks, Auto Cross and tracks without long straights. Where the shorter gears on long tracks could shorten the cars legs so to speak.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I can see them helping out (reaching the 'meat' of the power band a little bit quicker) a hybrid, or big turbo setup, depending upon just how 'laggy' that setup is, or is not. ;)

I feel you are going backwards though on a factory turbo setup, yup, even with 200 tread wear tires, and a great limited slip.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
T shirt driving did it. He has a YouTube channel under that name. Can't remember his opinion but you could ask there or his Instagram.

OP
N
Thread Starter #6
T shirt driving did it. He has a YouTube channel under that name. Can't remember his opinion but you could ask there or his Instagram.
Thanks, ya I had followed his thread before even asked him on his thoughts and he just pointed me to his youtube vids. Even after watching the series I never really got much "feedback" on the final drive

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
I personally have LSD and a DHM big turbo kit (ala 360r gen2 and aux fuel) on my fiesta st, 1st and 2nd gear have no traction(even on 225 toyo R1R's).A lower ratio final drive would possibly make that worse and could even make 3rd gear have traction issues. I personally would not go for the lower ratio on a big turbo car. Maybe a stock turbo car or hybrid but not a true big turbo set up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
N
Thread Starter #8
I personally have LSD and a DHM big turbo kit (ala 360r gen2 and aux fuel) on my fiesta st, 1st and 2nd gear have no traction(even on 225 toyo R1R's).A lower ratio final drive would possibly make that worse and could even make 3rd gear have traction issues. I personally would not go for the lower ratio on a big turbo car. Maybe a stock turbo car or hybrid but not a true big turbo set up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks PerfBlue! Just the kind of insight I was looking for [rockon]

Ford Community Posts