Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quiet 3" muffler?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im currently running the "ebay" Tsudo 2.75" catback. Its not crazy loud, but the drone inside the cabin is noticeable.

Im expecting my newborn in early January, so i want to do something about the noise. I still have the stock exhaust, but i much rather change out out the Tsudo cannister muffler for something quieter.

Im thinking a Dynomax ultraflow or a magnaflow piece... unless you guys know of other options.

What say you?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
Supertrapp!! j/k

I say get a new exhaust that you know doesn't drone or a drone you can live with. There's no guarantee just by swapping out the muffler that you still won't have drone.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Where is Clit Beastwood when you need him? He has a pretty good write up on something similar to this....[wrenchin]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I know....you know that I know the Thermal is the answer! But he is trying to be frugal! [thankyou]
True that but Clit Breastwoods setup wound up costing the same amount to do as just buying the Thermal.

I honestly feel he should save a few more pennies,sell the Tsuedo complete locallly and buy something better. Rather than trying to piecemail a fix, good exhaust work here costs more than it used too.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
True that but Clit Breastwoods setup wound up costing the same amount to do as just buying the Thermal.

I honestly feel he should save a few more pennies,sell the Tsuedo complete locallly and buy something better. Rather than trying to piecemail a fix, good exhaust work here costs more than it used too.
100% Agreed...just make sure all the clamps are tight and re-tighten them every so often though......[hihi]

Exhaust systems are very sensitive and even the slightest changes affects the sound. I have experimented with a few systems on different cars and even very minor changes- change in mufflers, removal of a resonator or even going from single to dual tips impacts the sound more than you may expect. And we are all different with our ears and sound of exhaust, drone, etc. The stock systems on most cars, including the FIST has a lot of thought put into it to drone out almost all sound- and at all RPM's. When you are concerned about sound and drone I always recommend going back to stock- unless you have time and money to experiment.

SST

my 3 inch non-res miltek are too quiet, only hear it when i gun it.

i find the symposer make more noise than my miltek

CSM

1000 Post Club
IME Milltek is quietest exhaust system on market. The non-resonated is barely louder than stock. Also fit and finish is top notch

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I like my 2J-Racing 3 inch SS exhaust, it is not too loud.
Unfortunally I don't think they sell them anymore.

Dave

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I still have my stock system sitting in the shed. If i want factory quiet, i will go back to stock.

I'd rather just swap to another muffler design. The Tsudo muffler is straight-through "fireball" / ricer can that may have already burned up its fiberglass packing since i bought the catback used. Might have like 25k-35k miles on it already.

I figure a full muffler like a magnaflow with an inner s-configuration should quiet things down and still be free-breathing. My 2.75"/3" system is overkill for a srock turbo FiST.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hey I'm forum famous now!

Full disclosure: I fully admit that I spent more than the cost of a Thermal doing my own R&D, but the cost isn't really an issue for me and I had fun doing it, so to me it was totally worth it (I'm even building a rev 2 right now, with a real helmholtz instead of a quarter wave resonator). It was a fun experience and I've definitely spent more money on less entertainment before :p my wife likes that I'm not constantly bringing home old project motorcycles to "fix and sell" (that I never get around to selling!).

To the OP - systems like the thermal are popular and expensive because of the materials, craftsmanship, but mostly the time spent on R&D. You aren't going to get results on par with thermal's R&D without spending a bundle, so you might be better off throwing a stock muffler on there. Vibrant mufflers do a pretty good job of toning things down, as do Borla mufflers, but both are going to be louder than stock. Given that the stock system flows absolutely fine for anything you want to do with the stock turbo, it's hard to rationalize spending time and money (and it's a scale, more time = less money, more money = less time) to reengineer something when there really wasn't something wrong with the original one in the first place. If you want to have something quiet, but "loud on weekends" you could maybe do an exhaust valve so its normally going through the stock exhaust system but doing a side-exist at the push of a button. Just a thought. I did mine just because I like the sounds of cars and turbochargers and I miss the noise and experience of riding a motorcycle. If you're going to be carrying children in the car, you *really* should go back to a stock one. There are entire frequency ranges that kids can hear that adults cannot, and you risk harming their developing hearing with sub and super sonic frequencies. Once you damage hearing, it does not heal. While doing R&D on my system I was always wearing etymotic er20xs earplugs to avoid damaging my ears with stuff in the sub-120hz range. Protect those kids!!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I still have my stock system sitting in the shed. If i want factory quiet, i will go back to stock.

I'd rather just swap to another muffler design. The Tsudo muffler is straight-through "fireball" / ricer can that may have already burned up its fiberglass packing since i bought the catback used. Might have like 25k-35k miles on it already.

I figure a full muffler like a magnaflow with an inner s-configuration should quiet things down and still be free-breathing. My 2.75"/3" system is overkill for a srock turbo FiST.
Magnaflow is good product used them in the past. I took a Nice imported Mandrel bent Japanese 3 inch exhaust and knocked off the old single tip muffler it had which was dented and replaced it with a Magna flow muffler on my S13 RB25DET car. After running a Buddly Club Spec II exhaust I loved but was way too loud.
I should add though the Japanese exhaust was well engineered and had a specific reasonator in the system.

Personally I am not impressed with Tsuedo exhausts , they are inexpensive for a reason. If you are looking at Magnflow you might also want to look at the Flowmaster exhaust made for our cars. They sound good and are not too expensive.
It’s up to you.. but I have learned over the years that buying a well designed exhaust from the get go winds up spending less in cost and effort in the long run.

YMMV

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Hey I'm forum famous now!

Full disclosure: I fully admit that I spent more than the cost of a Thermal doing my own R&D, but the cost isn't really an issue for me and I had fun doing it, so to me it was totally worth it (I'm even building a rev 2 right now, with a real helmholtz instead of a quarter wave resonator). It was a fun experience and I've definitely spent more money on less entertainment before [emoji14] my wife likes that I'm not constantly bringing home old project motorcycles to "fix and sell" (that I never get around to selling!).

To the OP - systems like the thermal are popular and expensive because of the materials, craftsmanship, but mostly the time spent on R&D. You aren't going to get results on par with thermal's R&D without spending a bundle, so you might be better off throwing a stock muffler on there. Vibrant mufflers do a pretty good job of toning things down, as do Borla mufflers, but both are going to be louder than stock. Given that the stock system flows absolutely fine for anything you want to do with the stock turbo, it's hard to rationalize spending time and money (and it's a scale, more time = less money, more money = less time) to reengineer something when there really wasn't something wrong with the original one in the first place. If you want to have something quiet, but "loud on weekends" you could maybe do an exhaust valve so its normally going through the stock exhaust system but doing a side-exist at the push of a button. Just a thought. I did mine just because I like the sounds of cars and turbochargers and I miss the noise and experience of riding a motorcycle. If you're going to be carrying children in the car, you *really* should go back to a stock one. There are entire frequency ranges that kids can hear that adults cannot, and you risk harming their developing hearing with sub and super sonic frequencies. Once you damage hearing, it does not heal.
My stock system has a resonator delete.... But i installed a manual cut-out where the resonator was. I used to daily drive it like that... It sounded awesome but the drone was horrible. It would even fireball from time to time on the stock tune.

I bought the Tsudo to quiet things down. But now i find myself looking for a bit less interior drone. Mostly for the baby.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

There are entire frequency ranges that kids can hear that adults cannot, and you risk harming their developing hearing with sub and super sonic frequencies. Once you damage hearing, it does not heal. While doing R&D on my system I was always wearing etymotic er20xs earplugs to avoid damaging my ears with stuff in the sub-120hz range. Protect those kids!!
Would a COBB CBE at reasonable speeds be good for my kids' ears while riding in the car with me? [biggrin]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Would a COBB CBE at reasonable speeds be good for my kids' ears while riding in the car with me? [biggrin]
I haven't personally tested to see if there are subsonics with the cobb - probably less of an issue since its not 3".

I think theres a company called... varex? that makes variable mufflers. You can have it stock and quiet around town, then hit a button on the remote and it bypasses the chambers in the muffler. Not necessary, but could add some sound back in.

koozy

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=4248]RubenZZZ[/MENTION] I'm almost pretty certain when I saw your car, the tips on your exhaust had a small hole on it. This hole is usually meant for a removable silencer to quiet things down, including knocking out or reducing drone. Did you not receive one with your Tsudo exhaust?

Here's generic photo of the Tsudo for the FiST, note the small hole on the tip.

This is what you should try first to see if it will help meet your needs.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=4248]RubenZZZ[/MENTION] I'm almost pretty certain when I saw your car, the tips on your exhaust had a small hole on it. This hole is usually meant for a removable silencer to quiet things down, including knocking out or reducing drone. Did you not receive one with your Tsudo exhaust?

Here's generic photo of the Tsudo for the FiST, note the small hole on the tip.

This is what you should try first to see if it will help meet your needs.

Oof that tsudo exhaust has really short resonators; that means its only cancelling high frequencies and everything on the bottom-end is untouched. That muffler case is, what, 12" long? so that's a 48" wave length which means... that system does *nothing* to drop or cancel frequencies below 280ish hertz. The "drone" that causes the body of the FiST to resonate like the body of a guitar is around 107hz. That means that no matter what you do, you're not touching that 107hz range. Honestly you're going to wind up replacing both the muffler and the resonator to stop that system from droning - it probably sounds meaty as hell but I can only imagine the weird oscillating sound you probably get around 3200 rpm.