Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Over revving?

Hey guys last night I installed my FMIC then this morning flashed a Stratified OTS. All my mods are listed in my signature and that's what they set the map up for. I opted for FFS, LC and Strat/Cobb TC with the linear power curve. I'm having a couple issues which I don't think are normal which are listed below.

Flashing the map: After flashing the tune it says wait at least 15 seconds to start the car so I waited 20 seconds. When I started it there was a warning that the hill start assist wasn't available, my yellow (sport mode) traction control light was on AND I had no power steering. The pronounced longer fuel pump run time after flashing a map wasn't there either. I turned the car off, opened the door to fully turn the car off then closed it and started it up again. The extended fuel pump running occurred and everything was back to normal. Odd if you ask me.

Driving: Besides the flashing oddities when I'm performance shifting it's over revving. When I step off the accelerator then depress the clutch the RPMs jump like 500-1000 higher than when I stepped on the clutch... Normal driving it doesn't do it but it seems when I'm in it WOT say shifting from second to third I'll let off at 6200 it will jump to almost 7,000... It does this in any gear while performance dricing.

I'm obviously going to contact Stratified but i thought I might be able to get a response from you guys sooner. Any thoughts?

OP
weazsel
Thread Starter #5
You need to ask your tuner to turn off the "shift assist rev hang".
I didn't think it was the OEM rev hang because it actually increases RPM, it doesn't just stay for an extra second.

My car can be made to do it completely stock if I am weird with the timing of flooring it and shifting.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Exactly. It's what happens when you put the clutch in a hair sooner than letting off the gas. And shifting too slow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
weazsel
Thread Starter #8
Exactly. It's what happens when you put the clutch in a hair sooner than letting off the gas. And shifting too slow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah that was my initial thought but it's not. As I said I made sure to yank my foot back off the accelerator before depressing the clutch and it still blipped on its own. I was pretty deliberate with recreating the scenario.

I'll make a video of it. It's a pronounced blip not from the accelerator.

I'll have to see what Stratified says. Thank you for the replies guys.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I know the FoST guys have had this problem, but never heard of it on the FiST. I don't think it's tune related but it certainly can't hurt to ask Stratified. I'm sure they deal with it all the time. Let us know what they say.

This is just the nature of electronic throttles. With no physical connection to the throttle body the software can do things on its own. I've noticed this on my stock Fiesta many times. Whereas my other 3 manual cars with cable throttles don't do it, because my foot is off the gas.

You can probably work around it a bit with timing, but I wouldn't worry too much

OP
weazsel
Thread Starter #11
Got a reply from Stratified:

Hey Michael,

Regarding your 1st point, this is most likely because you were flashing your tune.

As for the 2nd point, it’s probably because of flat-foot shifting.

Thanks,

Fabrice Vieillesse

Calibration Engineer

So I guess I'll just live with it for now until I upgrade the turbo and get a custom tune.

Don't get me wrong, I like the tune very much. It just doesn't seem right hanging out at red line or blipping up to red line on it's own.

I also read this which is from the manual:

"Your ST vehicle is equipped with an
overspeed feature to increase its
performance range. The standard
maximum engine speed of 6375 RPM is
indicated by a narrow redline on the
tachometer face. The redline becomes
thicker at the overspeed engine speed of
6500 RPM.
This feature allows three seconds of
overspeed above 6375 RPM. Once the
three second limit has been reached, the
electronically controlled rev limit ramps
down to 6375 RPM and holds there. Once
engine speed has dropped below 6175
RPM, the overspeed timer is reset and
three seconds of overspeed up to a
maximum of 6500 RPM is enabled."

So maybe it's a combination of everything.