Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Track Toy -- Keep Fiesta ST or Move to Mustang?

OP
P
Thread Starter #41
So one thing you also have to ask yourself. Whatever car you decide to use, are you comfortable with completely writing it off and eating the cost?

You might be able to get something a bit older, and modify it without feeling guilt if you throw the car into a wall.

And at the price range you are at, you could get into a legends racer etc.
While my Fiesta is newer, I do own it and can walk away should the worst happen. Of course I'm hoping it never comes to that.

OP
P
Thread Starter #42
Well in terms of all out track car Miata’s are pretty much on it. Though it depends on what you want your track car to be.
BRZ awesome handling really poor on power. Sad kind of Toyota and Suburu so could have done the car right but chickened out in the engine department. Miata wins in this as its lighter in track form.

FiST is a corner monster and a great dual purpose car. In the end its up to you.
Like others have said if you are going full track car I would be looking at something that is not a new or three year vehicle unless money is no issue and you don’t mind swallowing a new car an the mods to make it a track machine.
My FiST was bought first off as the fun daily that takes me out of driving my more serious sports cars and at the same time delivers the spirited driving I appreciate.
The added benefit was it can be the drive to the track or autocross weekend warrior car. Of course again the Miata falls into that as well. Difference is I am not a convertable fan. Lol
For me the FiST started out as a DD/fun car. Due to an inheritance it just became a fun car only. As I considered other cars, the Miata in particular, I figured out that the getting to/from the track part of the equation brings me back to the FiST. I think a Miata would be a blast at the track, but at almost 6'1" and 300Lbs, it's just too tight a fit to enjoy any other time.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I track my fiesta and will continue to. But I wouldn't throw hoosiers on it lol.
Why wouldn't you? I have Toyos on mine when I am on the track. I guess I'm missing the joke - or are you suggesting that the stickier tires will exacerbate the risk of rollover??

Dpro

6000 Post Club
For me the FiST started out as a DD/fun car. Due to an inheritance it just became a fun car only. As I considered other cars, the Miata in particular, I figured out that the getting to/from the track part of the equation brings be back to the FiST. I think a Miata would be a blast at the track, but at almost 6'1" and 300Lbs, its just too tight a fit to enjoy any other time.
In your position , maybe you should make the FiST a track machine. I know your position, as My FiST well be paid off in less than a year from when purchased and I do own other cars.

I will do some track days and possible autocross but I am not out for an all out track car anymore.

OP
P
Thread Starter #45
In your position , maybe you should make the FiST a track machine. I know your position, as My FiST well be paid off in less than a year from when purchased and I do own other cars.

I will do some track days and possible autocross but I am not out for an all out track car anymore.
This is my first track type car that I can build anyway I want. Others before (WRX and S5) all had to remain daily drivers. Looking to have some fun with this one.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This is my first track type car that I can build anyway I want. Others before (WRX and S5) all had to remain daily drivers. Looking to have some fun with this one.
In that case maybe you should go all out on your FIST . It definitely could shame a lot of cars considered to be more prestigious. I have a buddy here in SoCal that shames 911’s all day long so to speak. His FiST is decently setup , coilovers, larger Turbo, weight reduction plus other modes, Toyo Proxxes 888R’s but he is always looking at Moar! Lol

Why wouldn't you? I have Toyos on mine when I am on the track. I guess I'm missing the joke - or are you suggesting that the stickier tires will exacerbate the risk of rollover??
wait, do you actually think I'm joking? Did you not watch the video of someone getting up on 2 wheels and having to countersteer on flat ground with re71rs? More grip = higher rollover risk.

This is a real issue, you can ignore it but don't tell others it is a joke.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I will take your advice and ignore. Stickier tires have higher grip, but they too slip - otherwise there would be no need for braking in turns.

If someone yanked the car to the point that it is tipping over, competition tires are a second order effect.