Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cleaning up the 1-2 shift

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
One of the things I didn't like about the FiST since I got it was the mushy inaccurate feeling 1-2 shift. I haven't had enough seat time in other fists to determine if it's just my car of something intrinsic to the Fiesta ST. When trying to shift quickly between 1-2, it can be a little difficult to get the clean 2nd gear engagement. I don't mind buying a short shifter or whatever else would clean up that shift, but I don't want to shotgun parts at it. It *feels* like my 12k mile FiST has 100k mile shift bushings in it. If anyone has some input or guidance on a) if this is pretty standard for a stock fist, and b) which modifications (bushings, short shifter, etc.) have which effects. Thanks for any input :)

I've already installed an RMM and flashed the car to remove the shift assist/rev hang.

For what it's worth I have all the shifter goodies listed in my signature and I love how she shifts.

Currently running the Whoosh Shifter Bushings, Boomba Short Shifter and Vudu short shifter assembly.

Edit: cp-e RMM and 2 full liters of Ravenol too.

I still have to add the actual transmission bushings too. It's really good now and those will only make it better.

It's smooth, short, accurate and almost falls into gear.

Last edited:

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have the Boomba ultimate kit (bushings @ trans & @ shifter, trans adapter, shifter arm) and Motul DCTF

I did not like the 1 to 2 transition, and I still do not like it. I think each car is somewhat unique. My son has a '14 Fist and his transmission feels different than mine (did stock)

XanRules

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who's had those issues with the 1-2 shift. I can't remember the last car I missed shifts on as much as the 1-2 shift in this one. Makes me feel like an amateur.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm finding more probs with missing the 2nd-3rd shift, but 1st-2nd is also not great especially when still cold... I've done a short shift plate and Ravenol fluid, which has definitely helped but still, not real impressed and have even grind the gears a few times on the 1st-2nd as well... Not really sure what else can be done, will any of the bushing options actual help with smoothness during the gear lever travel or are those for a more solid feeling once you hit end of stick travel?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Never had issue with 1-2 but 2-3 oh boy did I screw up one day on a wet road luckily I didn't blow it up. The car actually went into limp mode and I had to reset it. I have been driving manual for years with multiple vehicles 2-3 in this car does not feel good.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

cxwrench

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who's had those issues with the 1-2 shift. I can't remember the last car I missed shifts on as much as the 1-2 shift in this one. Makes me feel like an amateur.
This is interesting. While mine is definitely kinda notchy going from 1-2 I don't ever 'miss' a shift. There must be some differences between cars. I've got an AWR RMM and Motul 300 in the trans. I'm not one to really rush shifts on the street so that probably has something to do w/ it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Never had issue with 1-2 but 2-3 oh boy did I screw up one day on a wet road luckily I didn't blow it up. The car actually went into limp mode and I had to reset it. I have been driving manual for years with multiple vehicles 2-3 in this car does not feel good.
This is interesting. While mine is definitely kinda notchy going from 1-2 I don't ever 'miss' a shift. There must be some differences between cars. I've got an AWR RMM and Motul 300 in the trans. I'm not one to really rush shifts on the street so that probably has something to do w/ it.
Well guys, we are definitely not alone... I know the 1st-2nd shift can be caused by the half shafts that are a known issue for all years, but am glad to not be alone on the 2nd-3rd shift, had a few nasty grinds but no limp mode, and it DID improve once the new fluid was put in... Seems like you have to get a full 2 Q/L's in for it to perform right, and i'd do the Motul or Ravenol, both good stuff, I think you both have said before you've done this already?

Yes 2 full Q/L's of Ravenol for me. Added it to my post above for future reference.

I do get a grind every now and again 1-2 but never really 2-3. It's really rare though.

cxwrench

Yeah, Motul 300 here. I'm intrigued by the Ravenol stuff so I'll probably put that in when spring rolls around. Or one of those 80* January Nor-Cal days [wink]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah, Motul 300 here. I'm intrigued by the Ravenol stuff so I'll probably put that in when spring rolls around. Or one of those 80* January Nor-Cal days [wink]
Yeah, the MTF-2 meets exact Ford sped and is better than stock by far but not sure if it's going to feel better than the Motul honestly, but worth a try if you don't mind spending the money...

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yes, I noticed this too.

For me, the Motul 300 helped a lot for that shift and the overall notchiness. Doesn't knock it out completely, but makes it smooth enough that it's not so much of a concern (to me). I think that now, after driving over 86k miles with mine, I've pretty much adjusted to it...

I don't have any other shifter mods though, so I can't really say anything about them. Although I think there was a thread on here regarding flywheel mods and I suspect that a slight flywheel mod would help, but it seemed like too much trouble for my daily driver/road trip warrior.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I'm finding more probs with missing the 2nd-3rd shift, but 1st-2nd is also not great especially when still cold... I've done a short shift plate and Ravenol fluid, which has definitely helped but still, not real impressed and have even grind the gears a few times on the 1st-2nd as well... Not really sure what else can be done, will any of the bushing options actual help with smoothness during the gear lever travel or are those for a more solid feeling once you hit end of stick travel?
I miss having a car with a gated shifter lol - even when it was bad it was goooood

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I think having driven a lot of older/carbeurated cars with smooth manuals I'm still dialing in the muscle memory to slow down and wait for the shifts. I ordered a tune without rev hang but I swear its still there lol

cxwrench

I think having driven a lot of older/carbeurated cars with smooth manuals I'm still dialing in the muscle memory to slow down and wait for the shifts. I ordered a tune without rev hang but I swear its still there lol
I think I turned something off in my OTS Cobb Stage 1...I'd swear they had shift assist or something like that in there that you could switch on/off. If I'm remembering correctly it didn't change much.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I think I turned something off in my OTS Cobb Stage 1...I'd swear they had shift assist or something like that in there that you could switch on/off. If I'm remembering correctly it didn't change much.
Yep, rev hang is bad even if disabled, in fact for some reason my Stratified is worse with it off than on my Dizzy where I forgot to ask for it turned off I think, it just varies so much, very strange! So you guy are definitely not alone, but that reminds me I should check the setting in my AP too as well and see what I can do...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Never experienced anything out of character on the one/two shift. Man trans in general, you have to delay clutch release a little and let the RPMs drop before releasing; a result of the ratio jump between one/two gearing. The high pedal engage height on the FiST gives shifting a bit more of a clumsy feel than I'm used to. The only gear I've ever missed since owning, is three. But I've fully adapted to the two/three shift.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yep, rev hang is bad even if disabled, in fact for some reason my Stratified is worse with it off than on my Dizzy where I forgot to ask for it turned off I think, it just varies so much, very strange! So you guy are definitely not alone, but that reminds me I should check the setting in my AP too as well and see what I can do...
There's a clause in the manual that warns against revving the engine and immediately shutting it off. The rev hang may be there to protect the bearings in the turbo. I wouldn't mess with it.