Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Burning smell when going over 100

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Anyone experienced a faint burning smell entering the cabin, like that of plastic, when going 100mph or more?

It's not oil, and I don't see anything burned in the engine bay.
Started smelling this when I hit 120mph, slowed down to 95mph, went away, slowly increased speed to 100-105mph, and started smelling this again.

I have a HUD, warning me if I hit 95mph, so keep it at below this speed for now, until I know where the smell comes from...
Forum search results...
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:fiestastforum.com+plastic+burning+smell

If you have anything non-OEM, such as an oil catch can with plastic parts, that would be the place to start.

As a test, try turning off the HVAC. It is unlikely but check the blower motor wire harness for evidence of overheating. I only suggest this because a prior vehicle had melted its blower wire harness; but that was due to corrosion.

OP
M
Thread Starter #33
I guess I'll just prevent surpassing 100mph from now on.
Just too bad, because at 110-125mph this car is so much fun!
Just a little over the legal speed limit.

It can be some electric short problem in the car. Sometimes, that kind of smell can also be felt when we use the heater after a long time.