Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Purchasing Mountune FB1 Package and looking for recommendations

Hello everyone,

Purchased my son a 2015 Ford Fiesta ST a few months back and we are about to purchase and install our 1st mod. We are new to most of all of this and have lots to learn. We are loving this little car and it's a blast! Great father/son hobby and I may be into it even more than my son. haha :)

Anyway... from reading and researching, the FB1 Package from Mountune seems like a great start for us. Especially with what you get and a little bit of a holiday discount. Most of you probably know but it comes with the Accessport, High Flow air filter and RMM. I have done some searching on the forum but lots of the info is just all over the place.

Again, our 2015 ST is all stock right now. When ordering with Mountune, you can select some different options. Like .... Octane. We go up to 93 here in town. All the other options are straight forward stock answers. We do plan to maybe add the BOV a few months down the road. (Should we still leave this option "Stock" when purchasing?

We are going to be pretty much just every day drivers for now. No track or anything for a while. Should I just order default with 91 octane and all other stock options? Then we can tune or tweak as needed? The package comes with a 45 day custom tune I think also. Again, sorry if this type thing has been asked 1000 times already. Just wanted some recommendations and opinions from you guys and hopefully get to know some of you more. :)

Thanks guys!

Nathan and Nate

FB1 package seems like a pretty good deal. If you have 93 available, I'd select that for your custom tune. Unless you plan to add more parts before your tuning period is up, leave everything stock. I'd disable shift assist and also bump up the idle speed a bit to help with the NVH added from the RMM.

The accessport should also come preloaded with the COBB off the shelf tunes for 91 and 93 octane.
Your mTune should be fine for daily driving, but if you want something a little more tame you can always flash to the COBB OTS map.

As far as further tuning goes, it's really up to you which route you choose. If you add parts after your initial tune is complete, you're subject to more fees and whatnot. You can also order a flash tune from Stratified or Dizzy for example, giving them your mod list and they give you a "canned tune" based on the mods list. You can choose to purchase a log review, which would reveal if your car is running ok. Your tuner would review the log and adjust (for safety, not power). If you go the full custom tune route, some tuners have the option of a "lifetime tune", so you can add parts and tune to your heart's desire!

Snoop around on this site, there's TONS of info on here.

Welcome, and congrats on purchasing the most fun car. Ever.

OP
NathanST
Thread Starter #3
FB1 package seems like a pretty good deal. If you have 93 available, I'd select that for your custom tune. Unless you plan to add more parts before your tuning period is up, leave everything stock. I'd disable shift assist and also bump up the idle speed a bit to help with the NVH added from the RMM.

The accessport should also come preloaded with the COBB off the shelf tunes for 91 and 93 octane.
Your mTune should be fine for daily driving, but if you want something a little more tame you can always flash to the COBB OTS map.

As far as further tuning goes, it's really up to you which route you choose. If you add parts after your initial tune is complete, you're subject to more fees and whatnot. You can also order a flash tune from Stratified or Dizzy for example, giving them your mod list and they give you a "canned tune" based on the mods list. You can choose to purchase a log review, which would reveal if your car is running ok. Your tuner would review the log and adjust (for safety, not power). If you go the full custom tune route, some tuners have the option of a "lifetime tune", so you can add parts and tune to your heart's desire!

Snoop around on this site, there's TONS of info on here.

Welcome, and congrats on purchasing the most fun car. Ever.

Thanks so much for the detailed and helpful response LaserWhisperer! Exactly what I was looking for. So you think bump up the idle speed a little when ordering? It defaults to 750 RPMs (factory setting) then choices of 800, 850, 900, 950 and you can choose "I'm unsure;decide for me". Thought I may select that with a note of what we plan to do in the next few months and that we are installing the RMM also.

I'm loving all these possibilities and all the many different things you can do with these cars. I drive a Lexus IS350 which is great but I keep asking my son to drive the FiST. haha!

Again, thanks for the welcome and feedback.

-Nathan

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I would not get the package from Mountune. Get it from Stratified or Dizzy, or any of the other tuners. I can almost guarantee you that the components for the FB1 package are not all in stock. And Mountune is famous for indefinite backorders. Their tunes suck. And their customer service is nonexistent. I'm very happy with Stratified. I've been considering trying Dizzy. Tune+ and JST are also popular.

I got the fb1 package and everything arrived to me within a week. I think this kit is definitely one of the better values as it includes a RMM and a custom tune from Randy, not just a flash from stratified.

Randy got my tune dialed in after about 3 revisions. I'm a little pissed however, how aggressive the 1st file he sent me was. I felt like he could've melted my pistons from what i was seeing on the AP. The way he tune was start off with really aggressive timing advance and then he gradually pull back until knock is in safe range.

Randy knows what he’s doing. His tunes are based off the files you send him, then adjusts accordingly.
Reliability of Mountune- no current issues to my knowledge.
I think just about any of the current tuning packages are good.

I’m not trying to have a pissinging match; everyone has their own opinions.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Randy knows what he’s doing.
I disagree. His fix for the part throttle boost surging I experienced on his "custom" tune was to dial back the gas pedal sensitivity. What a joke.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
NathanST
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. For now, I'm just more concerned with getting the actual Accessport in the most affordable way and this FB1 package from Mountune seems like the best price I can find. Especially bundled with the RMM and air filter. Seems like you guys are talking more about the tunes? We only care about the very basics right now and maybe will never need more than that. Just trying to learn more and see what we need for the basics to make the car more fun and better driving experience.

Thanks again. :)

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the feedback. For now, I'm just more concerned with getting the actual Accessport in the most affordable way and this FB1 package from Mountune seems like the best price I can find. Especially bundled with the RMM and air filter. Seems like you guys are talking more about the tunes? We only care about the very basics right now and maybe will never need more than that. Just trying to learn more and see what we need for the basics to make the car more fun and better driving experience.

Thanks again. :)
Mountune makes quality products; I'll give them that. I would call them to verify inventory status on the RMM and filter before you order. Don't believe what the website says.