Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Low coolant?

I'm working on my 2016 getting it ready for a dizzy stage 2 93 octane tune.

I noticed the coolant looked oddly low, I've waited about 2.5 hours and it hasn't gone up any, I'm not sure if I can attach the pictures from my phone but the coolant in the resevoir tank is at the bottom of the word "min" like not the line but below the word itself. I park in the same spots everyday and havent noticed a leak, plus no over heating signs from the dash.

Should I wait to top it off before flashing the tune?

Can I just top it off or do I need to flush and fill?

Could this be part of the earlier coolant issue recall?

OP
FistToFast
Thread Starter #4
I wouldn't worry about it just top it off.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Should I go to the dealer and get motorcraft or can I mix the same spec from a different brand if that's such a thing?

OP
FistToFast
Thread Starter #8
for that little amount you can use distilled water and move on.
So the resevoir tank is just a small portion of the whole system? Will any distilled water do? This is my first car I really care about so I just want to do everything as right as possible![biggrin]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Just buy the Motorcraft orange stuff specified in the manual.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNVK1NQ
You'll need again at some point and the stuff (properly stored) doesn't spoil.
Now that we're seeing Winter temps, meaning the level will be lower, this thread is a reminder for us to check again.
Yes just buy this. It's diluted 50/50 for you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

My fiesta always eats a bit of coolant. i have to add about a pint at every oil change. Its been doing it from new. and now has 80k miles on it. i fought with the dealer when i first got it but they were no help they kept saying everything was fine.
i have just learned to top it up every now and again. i only use the ford coolant

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My fiesta always eats a bit of coolant. i have to add about a pint at every oil change. Its been doing it from new. and now has 80k miles on it. i fought with the dealer when i first got it but they were no help they kept saying everything was fine.
i have just learned to top it up every now and again. i only use the ford coolant
Hopefully it's not a head or head gasket issue....at least you documented it with the dealer...as if it does have that problem you have evidence it was an issue before the warranty period ended.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If not the head or leaks, could it be the turbo that is eating coolant? I believe I read somewhere that the turbo in our cars are water cooled.

I had to replace my plastic coolant tank at 71 thousand kilometers.. went to go out again about an hour after driving home from work and seen a puddle of coolant in front of my front driver's side wheel.... Coolant was dripping from the bottom of the tank. Had been using coolant very slowly for about a year. Not using any since I replaced it about a month and a half ago.

Also check that rubber elbow connector down beside the battery.. where that small coolant tube runs from the tank across the front of the engine, just follow it towards to fire wall. Mine had a hole in it and was perished.

Photo is what it looked like at 71k kilometers and just before I replaced it with a new one. The color difference is a give away...

I am just counting my lucky stars that my engine never went above the normal operating temperature in these two instances.... I fixed it myself as I can't really trust Ford here in Australia. I will post a photo of the rubber elbow tube with the hole in it when I get a chance.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Search it online. They start with tiny hairline cracks over time.

As for the coolant lines, they were as they were when it left the factory. I am the first owner.

That's why I mentioned it as others will have the same issues at some point.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Iā€™m familiar with the line your referencing.
Look closely and you can see it dripping. Easy fix [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine used a little since I got it - previous guy said not for him. Then I remembered moving the hose clamps on the oil filter to make changes more painless right after I bought it. It's used less as time goes. I'm thinking they finally took a seal. I need to inspect for stains at their base, but it's another theory. I could barely smell coolant kinda mid-bay but couldn't pinpoint it.

Looks like my recently replaced tank may be leaking already...

All the zip ties are to help stop the engine cover from rubbing holes in my coolant lines...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Looks like my recently replaced tank may be leaking already...

All the zip ties are to help stop the engine cover from rubbing holes in my coolant lines...
Oh okay, I thought you were using the zip-ties to secure the hoses.

Sure that ain't road salt? The brine literally gets into every nook and cranny. (horrible for rust)