Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Crankcase Breather - '16+

Have everything torn apart for some winter modifications and was thinking - would it be possible to run a VTA off the CCV tube that runs to the intake pipe on the '16+'s similar
to:

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/739-pelotonracer2-s-valve-cover-breather-modification?p=7984

I know the newer models have the sensor that hangs off there - but would there be any issues cutting the tube and putting a clamp on filter right after the sensor? I didn't see any check valves or complications upstream of the sensor, but not sure if it's looking for a particular pressure reading that would be impacted by the speed of the air in the intake.

It would be great not to have to run a few feet of hose up to my 2JR intake..

Picture poached from OffTheWall503:

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #3
Right on. I should be able to fab something up for cheap. Worth the gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on. I should be able to fab something up for cheap. Worth the gamble.

By doing so, there will be unmetered air. During no boost, vacuum from the manifold will suck the air thru there. During boost, the CCV + pressure thru that sensor will trigger an ECL.

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #5
Ah shit... You’re right. The MAF is upstream of that.

If you want VTA, route a hose from the primary PCV to atmosphere, plug the hole at the manifold tight enough for boost pressure, and put a plug in the secondary hose between the valve cover and the sensor. Have an Accessport in case P04DB (PCV error) code shows up or use other method to clear it. The PCV sensor is very sensitive. A long period of continuous < -.5 psi or >.1 psi will trigger ECL. Oh, it will also give you a code if the sensor does not sense fluctuation.

By doing so, there will be unmetered air. During no boost, vacuum from the manifold will suck the air thru there. During boost, the CCV + pressure thru that sensor will trigger an ECL.
Would putting a check valve so that unmetered air would not enter the crankcase help avoid that? Then it would only vent positive pressure. I've been looking into a VTA option as well. Cfm breather cap is also an option for me atm.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #8
Looks like I should be able to snag a UPR check valve for about $15 - so I'm up for giving it a shot once I get my car put back together. If it doesn't throw a CEL - I'll just pop a filter on the end for peace of mind. But in theory - it should never be drawing air back in. Since the FiST is MAP, not MAF - it shouldn't have any issues with fueling. (I think?)

I had two goals with venting the CCV - primary was the eliminating the giant hose from the 2JR intake. (it interferes with the OCC on the strut tower.. and looks like hot garbage.) So hopefully this works out.

Would putting a check valve so that unmetered air would not enter the crankcase help avoid that? Then it would only vent positive pressure. I've been looking into a VTA option as well. Cfm breather cap is also an option for me atm.

Recent cold temp froze the gunk up check valve at the manifold causing pressure push into the cylinders. I have reverted back to stock since.

Recent cold temp froze the gunk up check valve at the manifold causing pressure push into the cylinders. I have reverted back to stock since.
Good to know thanks for the heads up! It gets cold here too so until I move back south that's a no go.