Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's your method for bleeding brakes?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
If this is directed at me, then you are incorrect.
Well then you must be using something to pressurize the system. In which case, it wouldn't be shadetree... And the tubing in a water/Gatorade bottle is not a new trick. Nor is it shadetree.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
So how do you keep air from sucking back into the caliper when you let up on the brake pedal? Are you using speed bleeders?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Now it makes sense. Maybe use a pic of a Gatorade bottle that actually has brake fluid in it next time lol.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
You just put enough fresh brake fluid into the bottle so that the tip of the hose is submerged and this will ensure that only brake fluid will be drawn back into the line after air escapes. It's not a perfect method but it does in a pinch, such as when I had to replace the front left caliper on a coworker's truck in our workplace parking lot. He didn't have any issues afterward.

Well, not with the brake system anyway. [8]
I’ve seen that method, just never tried it but totally viable and worth noting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Yes, it sucks the fluid from the master cylinder down to the caliper. About 15 minutes to flush 1 liter of fluid through the system front and rear. The vacuum is around -6psi.
I have picked up brake pedal height on new vehicles because of air in the system from the factory, no joke. You can also suck the dirty fluid out of the MC when flushing the system, speeds up the process. I change my brake fluid every 3 months, its so easy to do. I will never go back to a power bleeder.
See link, this is one I have.

https://www.ttnet.net/ttnet/gotoprd/MN765/999/0/1383639383831343634303832343931303033353533353.htm

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
I'm a fan for whatever works. I don't bleed enough to justify not keeping relatively simple, but I also want a little speediness with the process. I've been using a tool I've had in the tool box that I've used for my motorcycle made by MotionPro ~$10. It's basically a check valve that I have dispense into a bleeder bag. I just do one wheel, then move on to the next with the check valve.

I've also used Speed Bleeders in the past with success and will be fitting some on the FiST. Same concept with the check valve, but it will be semi permanent now to each caliper.

One way MotionPro check valve.

Speed Bleeders for the FiST. ~$14 for all 4 corners, not including bleeder bag.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
the right size [8D]

let me put them on the car first to make sure all is kosher. I don't want to give out wrong info. I found discrepancies with the application guides.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
the right size [8D]

let me put them on the car first to make sure all is kosher. I don't want to give out wrong info. I found discrepancies with the application guides.
I dig the Motion Pro check valve idea. That might be the easiest solution yet. I used speed bleeders on my motos but I’ve been a little hesitant to put them on the track car. I don’t quite trust them as much as standard valves.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
whoohoo, 2 down, 2 more to go haha. Before I ordered I broke out my thread pitch gauge and micrometer. I hate ordering wrong stuff.

speedbleeder on top, OE on the bottom.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
3 down, 1 more to go. Really glad I didn't trust their application guides. One set would have been wrong.

I ran into an unexpected snag and wasn't able to finish one last bleeder because I noticed that I desperately needed new pads! Yow!
Fortunately I had a set on hand.

I'll have to finish the last corner later, because I was out of time.
My little buddies kept reminding me of my priorities. Time to play fetch, LOL

Down to the wire!

Restless buddies [sleep]

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
I dig the Motion Pro check valve idea. That might be the easiest solution yet. I used speed bleeders on my motos but I’ve been a little hesitant to put them on the track car. I don’t quite trust them as much as standard valves.
A few random thoughts...

I like the gravity bleed method, but the downside I see including vacuum bleeders, is not being able to flush out fluid/air from the emergency brake system when working solo. Krug’s suggested method, Motionpro and Speedbleeder valve resolve that.

I tried to think of how a speedbleeder would be more unsafe over a stock bleeder and couldn’t think of one. I suppose the most common concern would be it leaking out of the hole unexpectedly. That’s not any more possible than a stock valve. Unless I’m missing something, both stock and speedbleeder valves cone end seal completely against the caliper when tightened all the way, making the bleed hole useless. There’s no way for the bleeders to leak unless the bleeders backed out and in that case any bleeder would leak. The speedbleeders have thread sealant which makes them even more secure than OE bleeders.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Nothing at all wrong with Speed Bleeders in that sense. They seal up like any other normal bleeder and if you tighten them, they won't leak. The main issue I've seen with them is that the check valve can seize up. It only becomes an issue when you're trying to bleed your brakes, and not a safety issue while driving.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
I suppose that’s why there’s a stainless steel option available at double the price. Overkill for my use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmb

3 down, 1 more to go. Really glad I didn't trust their application guides. One set would have been wrong.

I ran into an unexpected snag and wasn't able to finish one last bleeder because I noticed that I desperately needed new pads! Yow!
Fortunately I had a set on hand.

I'll have to finish the last corner later, because I was out of time.
My little buddies kept reminding me of my priorities. Time to play fetch, LOL

Down to the wire!

Restless buddies [sleep]
so it looks like two different sizes?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
A few random thoughts...

I like the gravity bleed method, but the downside I see including vacuum bleeders, is not being able to flush out fluid/air from the emergency brake system when working solo. Krug’s suggested method, Motionpro and Speedbleeder valve resolve that.

I tried to think of how a speedbleeder would be more unsafe over a stock bleeder and couldn’t think of one. I suppose the most common concern would be it leaking out of the hole unexpectedly. That’s not any more possible than a stock valve. Unless I’m missing something, both stock and speedbleeder valves cone end seal completely against the caliper when tightened all the way, making the bleed hole useless. There’s no way for the bleeders to leak unless the bleeders backed out and in that case any bleeder would leak. The speedbleeders have thread sealant which makes them even more secure than OE bleeders.
The only reason I even gave it a second thought was because of something I read on the internet once haha! I ran them forever on big and small supermoto bikes and never had an issue. I definitely see your point. There really isn’t a way they should fail if closed normally. I may try them if using your Motion Pro tool method proves to be too messy.