Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's your method for bleeding brakes?

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
The only reason I even gave it a second thought was because of something I read on the internet once haha! I ran them forever on big and small supermoto bikes and never had an issue. I definitely see your point. There really isn’t a way they should fail if closed normally. I may try them if using your Motion Pro tool method proves to be too messy.
Not messy at all, I just used it the other day on another car.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
"A few random thoughts...

I like the gravity bleed method, but the downside I see including vacuum bleeders, is not being able to flush out fluid/air from the emergency brake system when working solo. Krug’s suggested method, Motionpro and Speedbleeder valve resolve that."

I assume you mean what we Aussies call the hand brake or parking brake? (system).

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
"A few random thoughts...

I like the gravity bleed method, but the downside I see including vacuum bleeders, is not being able to flush out fluid/air from the emergency brake system when working solo. Krug’s suggested method, Motionpro and Speedbleeder valve resolve that."

I assume you mean what we Aussies call the hand brake or parking brake? (system).
Yes, the hand brake. Every time the lever is pulled, it pushes fluid/air out when the bleeder is opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes fatty up front, skinny out back.
Since Koozy's technical terminology will not help anyone get the proper size bleeder screws for their FiST, I'll post the sizes found on my car.

2015 Fiesta ST brake bleeder screw info:
Front: M10x1.0, 34mm long threads
Rear: M7x1.0, 34mm long threads

If you would like to get speed bleeders here's the info
Front Speed Bleeder Part # SB1010S
Rear Speed Bleeder Part # SB7100S

Remember not everyone's car has the exact setup, some have M10 front and rear according to Speed Bleeder so check to see if you have M10 all around or M7's in the rear.

Check out the FiST Bleeder Screw thread for more info
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/bleeder-screw-specs-and-speed-bleeders.19757/#post-342488

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Since this thread was already exhumed...

I use a Motive Power bleeder for all of my cars making speed bleeders unnecessary. I've never liked the speed bleeders if only out of unfounded paranoia of one of these cheap little non-oem bleeders failing.

Since this thread was already exhumed...

I use a Motive Power bleeder for all of my cars making speed bleeders unnecessary. I've never liked the speed bleeders if only out of unfounded paranoia of one of these cheap little non-oem bleeders failing.
That’s great for the shop but most people aren’t going to bring a brake bleeding rig to the track with them (some do if they are in a more competitive aspect, but not realistic for someone to bring for a Trackday) when fast easy brake bleeding is most necessary. I’ve been running Speed Bleeders for years on all my cars. I have looked up the material specs for the threaded portion and they meet OEM material specs and strengths. And if you are referring to the internals being cheap you need to think about how a normal bleeder screw works, as long as it is tightened down properly and threads are coated with locktite, or equivalent, the bottom of the bleeder screw blocks the fluid from coming through the hollow portion of the screw. I’m all for keeping cars as OEM as possible but there are non OEM parts that work great for these cars and meet or exceed the quality of the OEM part

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
lol the motive power bleeder is the size of a gallon milk. Not what i would call a "rig". :)

Agreed on the bleeder. Like i said, I'm just paranoid and the motive negates any advantage they provide anyway.

lol the motive power bleeder is the size of a gallon milk. Not what i would call a "rig". :)

Agreed on the bleeder. Like i said, I'm just paranoid and the motive negates any advantage they provide anyway.
To each his own.

Regardless the bleeder screw specs are posted for anyone who needs them for future purposes.

Old School Hi Tech brake bleeding circa 1960. BTW, I think this may have originated in NASCAR, those southern boys were quite adept at being efficient while using what they had on hand.

First, 3 things you have to be careful about observing, so if you have 3 people working together a full brake system can be bled quite quickly. Number one item that has to be watched closed is the brake fluid reservoir, don't let it empty or you'll have to do it all over again.

Items needed. A bit of rubber or nylon tubing that will tightly fit a bleeder valve, a small can of heavy wheel bearing grease, and a 1 pint or 1 quart Mason Jar. Note you can use a pop bottle but they are very easy to knock over and create a mess. You'll also want to put some good deep scratches on the Mason Jar so Momma doesn't try to use it for canning.

Now for the method.

1) Start at the farthest caliper from the master cylinder.
2) Remove the bleeder valve from the caliber and apply a thick coat of grease to act as an Air Seal. Screw the bleeder valve in until it seats and then back it out 2 turns.
3) Put about 2 inches of brake fluid into the Mason Jar.
4) Take that bit of hose and put a nut that fits snuggly over you hose over one end to act as a weight. Put the weighted end into that Mason Jar making sure that the end is submerged. Take the opposite end of that hose and snap it over the bleeder valve. Now you have a gas tight seal between the bit of brake fluid and the caliper.
5) Get into the drivers seat and start pumping the brake pedal to pump brake fluid into that mason jar. If you have someone watching you can just keep pumping until the reservoir needs a refil. One reservoir of fluid should be enough to totally fill the system from master cylinder to the brake you are working on.
6) Close the bleeder valve on the completed brake and remove the hose and move to the next brake and start and item 2 and repeat.

Notes:

If you use clear vinyl tubing and have third person to watch the fluid going into the Mason Jar you can call the job done as soon as you stop seeing bubbles in the fluid stream.

To minimize air migrating into the brake system I would suggest having a box of sharpened wood pencils handy. Cut them to a stub with wire cutters, or rose clippers as needed and jam the point into any open fitting as needed to plug that opening. Note, if anyone hits the brake pedal with these plugs in place they will ALL blow out and you'll have a heck of a mess to clean up and a brake system FULL of AIR. So complete each brake as an individual project and make sure that everyone near the car understands they MUST NOT TOUCH THE BRAKE PEDAL. I would also suggest locking the doors just to provide another layer of security.

You know someone is going to actually try this don't you?
Won't cause any harm at all, was taught the method be a good old boy from West Virginia and it really does work. Also wastes a lot of brake fluid if you are doing it by yourself but that's why I suggest having 2 people to be eyes on. What is created here is a fully sealed system with fluid going in just one direction. BTW, the nut on the hose in the Mason Jar acts sort of like a valve while the brake pedal is on the upstroke. While it's not a perfect seal it does provide enough restriction to insure that most of the fluid flows in the correct direction and with the hose submerged air cannot get drawn back into the system.

View: https://youtu.be/wShYww99d8o

As promised here is the video featuring what I think is the best/fastest overall bleeding method if you are not in a normal garage environment (AKA the racetrack), Trust me these things have saved me twice so far at the racetrack. Since the braking system is one of the weak points when taking a FiST out on the track I think this applies. Again you might have your opinion about what is best in the garage, which is fine, but having two Fiesta ST lap records set so far does give me the advantage in knowing what best for the track. Hope you enjoy! Subscribe to see the lap records!

TemecFist

I bleed using my laptop and Forscan which also bleeds the ABS controller. Makes life alot simpler.