Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So do '09+ headlights fit?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Edit: Confusion solved, cars245.com, which has the TYC projectors at an excellent price, doesn't have a category for '13+ so the '13+ headlights are simply categorized under '09+ even though they are quite clearly for '13+ and also TYC's own Euro site confirms this as well... Still don't know what's up with the different part number on each pic, but the top one is what DOES work for sure and can actually be found and ordered. Original post below:

In a quest to find alternate headlights other than the $700-800 Euro OEM's, I've seen mostly aftermarket for the '09+, lots of varieties, with MUCH fewer varieties for the "refresh" '12+ that obviously our ST's fall under... BUT, in another thread here, there are TYC brand projectors we can order from Europe for only $125 each, a member uses them and they work great... BUT, the thing is they are listed for all '09+, no separate category for the '13+ refresh, HERE and proven to work on our '14+ ST's...

So, does anyone know if the '09+ simply fit or not? Maybe different plug connector? They appear identical from what I've been able to tell and I'd LOVE to have a much better selection to choose from...

OK, this is what I've found...Note the part numbers being different but appear identical and first ones says for '09+ (proven to work) and different part# but can't find anywhere but TYC web site...

From the cars245.com that others have used successfully and the site says for '09+:
TYC1.JPG

And from the TYC website, says for '12+:
TYC2.JPG

They look identical but the part # from cars245.com comes up empty on TYC web site too... So frustrating! I'd love to get ones with projectors and in black!

Last edited:
Here's the physical change between the MK7 (09 to 13) and MK7.5 (our model, 14 to 19).

I'd really like Euro black projector housings as well. I don't like chrome much.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Here's the physical change between the MK7 (09 to 13) and MK7.5 (our model, 14 to 19).

(pic redacted for space reasons)

I'd really like Euro black projector housings as well. I don't like chrome much.
You are one year off, there was the refreshed style in non-ST starting in '13 but I get you... What threw me off was the TYC that works IS listed wrong as '09+ from the cars245 seller, but is clearly for the '13+

Thanks for pointing out the obvious that I missed with the older gen CLEARLY more pointed at the front corner, LOL!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Yeah I don't like them, I find them too cheesy and surely not as good quality. I think my best bet would be the TYC ones and open them to paint them black.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Yeah I don't like them, I find them too cheesy and surely not as good quality. I think my best bet would be the TYC ones and open them to paint them black.
Parts Geek has black non-projector/halogen for $95 and could retrofit the projectors... otherwise, unless you are talking actual OEM I doubt there is much difference in quality at all, even the $95 ones are CAPA aftermarket certified. As far as the ones I posted, I'd definitely go with only the white option, adding the yellow does make it "cheesy", heh...

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Then call me cheesy! I do like them. They are different and I have not seen them before.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Then call me cheesy! I do like them. They are different and I have not seen them before.
User name checks out? LOL... If you're referring to the AliExpress ones I posted, I think the white only ones would be less likely to draw cops attention but both are cool and different!

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
User name checks out? LOL... If you're referring to the AliExpress ones I posted, I think the white only ones would be less likely to draw cops attention but both are cool and different!
True! I have used that screen name since the 90's for video games. There is always going to be knockoff parts. Look at the range of intercoolers for the fist. Perfect example.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
True! I have used that screen name since the 90's for video games. There is always going to be knockoff parts. Look at the range of intercoolers for the fist. Perfect example.
For sure! There was one I could have gotten for $143 shipped from China on 15% off everything on eBay day that is actually very decent, just not huge and big turbo worthy... So my buddy ordered one instead and they jacked the prices up to $225, sigh... But yep, these days the cheap Asian stuff is made to higher standards, for sure, not like back in the day, as an old fart I remember cheap Korean Lucky Goldstar considered to be junk with the cheapest microwave you could buy and now they literally make the best TV's in the world!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Those AliBaba headlamps are interesting if you like the angeleyes look around the projectors. I have a couple of concerns about them, though:

1. Cheaper headlamps don't always hold up to UV and contamination very well, so they may yellow or haze over very badly within a couple of years.
2. May be susceptible to water ingress.
3. What region are these for, and what kind of pinout will they use? I would assume they're the same as Euro headlamps, but maybe they're some kind of Asian market specific arrangement?
4. No idea how well they will be packaged. Would be a shame to get them with broken tabs.

I mean, all of this can be fixed, but is it worth it? Depends. Someone should take the plunge and let us know how it goes. [^]
OK, fair enough, I like open discussion, here are my thoughts:

1. I don't consider these cheap *at all* when you can get Capa certified aftermarket for $95 a side, $125 for the decent TYC aftermarket Euro projectors, these are probably excellent.
2. See #1, I'm really not sure how you can consider them cheap when they are almost the price of WAAAY overpriced OEM ones. There are also some available for double the price HERE, but are they really any better? They DO look REALLY nice... But for $1000 after coupons and 3% eBates and still have to provide my own bulbs, that is REALLY steep.
3. They say that they are both left and right drive, this to me inherently means they have a flat cutoff and will almost be certainly pin swap-able at very most to get it to work in DRL always on low or high mode, like any other Euro's.
4. If anything is broken you have more sent or get your money back, those sellers don't mess around, they do not want to be kicked off Ali/baba/Express with poor customer service.

And if I had an extra $550 laying around I'd certainly think about it, but likely I'd go for the TYC projectors and put the "amber delete" blackout corners on them, since there is no marker bulb in the corners anyway (Our mirror flashers cover us legally I believe) while spending a good $200 less and get the OEM style euro DRL's and the projector lens that I'm after.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I bought my brother a pair of headlights for his Ford Focus the brand was TYC they yellowed extremely fast. Not only did the yellow fast there's a rubber trim that goes around the headlight it deteriorated with in two years. I'm just sharing my experience. I have installed TYC headlights in three separate vehicles they fit fine, but the quality is definitely not the same when it comes to the finish durability or the rubber seal.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
The rubber trim around my windshield deteriorated within 2 years. Thx ford.