Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swift Spec-R Springs w/ Koni Orange and Powerflex Spring Pad Isolator Brief Review

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Actually, I'm pretty sure the progressive rate is to soak up bumps, that's why I'm strongly leaning to Eibach with progressive rate and modest drop. Having the bit softer '17, was hoping the Eibach would be best for me.
Well it helps a bit for that but it is not as good at it as the Koni Orange. I bought the Eibach too first and I liked it as the drop was perfect for me and the setup with oem shocks was actually my favorite over well maintained roads, but the roads here where I live and commute are crappy and too rough for that with oem shocks. The Koni Orange were too soft and floaty when used with the Eibachs. I tried konis rear and oem shocks front with Eibachs which seem fine at first but not so great over somewhat bumpy freeways at freeway speeds. (I do drive a little on the faster side, if you mostly cruise around the speed limit you might like that setup.) This lead me to use oem springs with Koni orange. I would use the swifts with koni orange but I go on road trips quite frequently and travel through areas where even stock height is barely high enough so I have decided not to lower my car now.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Well it helps a bit for that but it is not as good at it as the Koni Orange. I bought the Eibach too first and I liked it as the drop was perfect for me and the setup with oem shocks was actually my favorite over well maintained roads, but the roads here where I live and commute are crappy and too rough for that with oem shocks. The Koni Orange were too soft and floaty when used with the Eibachs. I tried konis rear and oem shocks front with Eibachs which seem fine at first but not so great over somewhat bumpy freeways at freeway speeds. (I do drive a little on the faster side, if you mostly cruise around the speed limit you might like that setup.) This lead me to use oem springs with Koni orange. I would use the swifts with koni orange but I go on road trips quite frequently and travel through areas where even stock height is barely high enough so I have decided not to lower my car now.

I would like to lower my car but I'm in the same boat it's just way too risky where I live. Kind of a shame actually but oh well.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Great feedback, I appreciate it! Still just super curious about Eibach with factory dampers, since mine are the later softer ones vs. the earlier stiffer stock dampers I'm still leaning towards Eibach springs for now and then go from there. Like others, I don't want too much lowering but 0.8" front and 0.7" rear is just too perfect to pass up on the Eibach.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Great feedback, I appreciate it! Still just super curious about Eibach with factory dampers, since mine are the later softer ones vs. the earlier stiffer stock dampers I'm still leaning towards Eibach springs for now and then go from there. Like others, I don't want too much lowering but 0.8" front and 0.7" rear is just too perfect to pass up on the Eibach.
By all means give it a try if that's what pulls your heart strings, haha! Hope you like it. If I lived in an area with better roads, I'd probably still be running them now, because I would just deal with the consequences everywhere else. Besides, regardless what roads you live with every day, it is definitely an improvement on stock and the drop is perfect, imho.

If you do get them, let us know your thoughts!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
By all means give it a try if that's what pulls your heart strings, haha! Hope you like it. If I lived in an area with better roads, I'd probably still be running them now, because I would just deal with the consequences everywhere else. Besides, regardless what roads you live with every day, it is definitely an improvement on stock and the drop is perfect, imho.

If you do get them, let us know your thoughts!
So if Eibach alone is an improvement in ride quality over OEM, at all, I think I'll start there.. Since I have less than 17k on the car it seems the stock suspension took a good 15k to break in and feels much better than new, which was quite bouncy and stiff.. So yeah, doesn't hurt to try just springs to start with, the roads around me are pretty decent for the most part.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
So if Eibach alone is an improvement in ride quality over OEM, at all, I think I'll start there.. Since I have less than 17k on the car it seems the stock suspension took a good 15k to break in and feels much better than new, which was quite bouncy and stiff.. So yeah, doesn't hurt to try just springs to start with, the roads around me are pretty decent for the most part.
If the roads are decent, the springs should be all you really need. Let us know what you think after you get them. [emoji106]

I just made the switch from swift springs with OE shocks to using the koni oranges as suggested by Ron. I completely agree that this setup is ideal for a daily driver as long as being lowered isn't a hindrance for you. The car rides much smoother, no bouncing when hitting bumps around corners anymore. I also have the TB traction and torsion bars. I've considered getting endlinks to bring the sway bar closer to the stock position which I had to do on my MS3 and my lowered Silverado. I haven't measured if the sway bar has shifted yet but I'm sure shorter endlinks wouldn't hurt. The car seems to sit just a hair lower with the oranges as well. Might just be my imagination though. Fwiw two of my stock shocks were leaking at 16k after using swift springs since 3k or so miles which is why I made the switch to the Konis.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just made the switch from swift springs with OE shocks to using the koni oranges as suggested by Ron. I completely agree that this setup is ideal for a daily driver as long as being lowered isn't a hindrance for you. The car rides much smoother, no bouncing when hitting bumps around corners anymore. I also have the TB traction and torsion bars. I've considered getting endlinks to bring the sway bar closer to the stock position which I had to do on my MS3 and my lowered Silverado. I haven't measured if the sway bar has shifted yet but I'm sure shorter endlinks wouldn't hurt. The car seems to sit just a hair lower with the oranges as well. Might just be my imagination though. Fwiw two of my stock shocks were leaking at 16k after using swift springs since 3k or so miles which is why I made the switch to the Konis.
Thanks for the input, but are you coming from a '14-16 or '17+ to start with? '17+ has 10% softer springs and shocks from factory but fatter front sway and rear torsion beam to help make up for it, just trying to get a better feel for what I decide to do with my '17. All stock I don't get really any bouncing after 15k of break in, and pleasantly surprised has no rear hop hitting bumps while cornering like my last torsion beam rear car had...

Thanks for the input, but are you coming from a '14-16 or '17+ to start with? '17+ has 10% softer springs and shocks from factory but fatter front sway and rear torsion beam to help make up for it, just trying to get a better feel for what I decide to do with my '17. All stock I don't get really any bouncing after 15k of break in, and pleasantly surprised has no rear hop hitting bumps while cornering like my last torsion beam rear car had...
I have a '17 too. For my use I wouldn't hesitate to do this same setup over again. I'm that happy with it. I've done coilovers and a ton of other different types of suspension on different vehicles that were purpose built. My FiST doesn't serve any special purpose aside from being the most fun daily driver I've had. Everything is going to be subjective to how you like your car to behave but like the OP I'm extremely happy with it!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have a '17 too. For my use I wouldn't hesitate to do this same setup over again. I'm that happy with it. I've done coilovers and a ton of other different types of suspension on different vehicles that were purpose built. My FiST doesn't serve any special purpose aside from being the most fun daily driver I've had. Everything is going to be subjective to how you like your car to behave but like the OP I'm extremely happy with it!

Thanks man, I'm thinking that stock dampers with Eibach springs will be that perfect combo for me, but good to hear about lots of different options. And with the koni orange under $300 for all four would make for great OEM replacements too.

Thanks man, I'm thinking that stock dampers with Eibach springs will be that perfect combo for me, but good to hear about lots of different options. And with the koni orange under $300 for all four would make for great OEM replacements too.
Yea I didnt have too much a problem with the OE dampers to begin with, just the leaking thing and hearing others say they had leaks on theirs early as well swayed me away from buying another set of stock struts and shocks.

I'm curious to how stock shocks compare to koni orange on a shock dyno. I'm not expecting much difference. is there any data?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm curious to how stock shocks compare to koni orange on a shock dyno. I'm not expecting much difference. is there any data?
Great question, and everything I've seen points to them being definitely softer than even the softer '17+ stock dampers... those who have gone from OEM to them have sometimes complained about "floatiness" at high speeds, especially when in conjunction with a softer spring like Eibach. So if you are a racer who is close to or over triple digits often, then something stiffer would be a better choice. Or instead pair with Swift spring instead, like this thread is about, seems to be a good balance.

Great question, and everything I've seen points to them being definitely softer than even the softer '17+ stock dampers... those who have gone from OEM to them have sometimes complained about "floatiness" at high speeds, especially when in conjunction with a softer spring like Eibach. So if you are a racer who is close to or over triple digits often, then something stiffer would be a better choice. Or instead pair with Swift spring instead, like this thread is about, seems to be a good balance.
Yea thats exactly what Ron told me. A stiff linear spring is the way to go to avoid any float. Since I already had the swifts he highly recommended the oranges since the Bilsteins are on what seems to be an infinite backorder.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yea thats exactly what Ron told me. A stiff linear spring is the way to go to avoid any float. Since I already had the swifts he highly recommended the oranges since the Bilsteins are on what seems to be an infinite backorder.

It's not infinite...its on intergalactic back order!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great question, and everything I've seen points to them being definitely softer than even the softer '17+ stock dampers... those who have gone from OEM to them have sometimes complained about "floatiness" at high speeds, especially when in conjunction with a softer spring like Eibach... Or instead pair with Swift spring instead, like this thread is about, seems to be a good balance.
I just put 500mi with Swifts+ OEM struts/shocks on my 2018 and like them very much (I'm still just at ~2,000+mi total). I was worried about messing up the stock suspension and ruining the playfulness nature of the car but so far it's been positive.

When it comes time to replace the OEM shocks, what are the choices to replace them? I have ZERO interest in the Koni Oranges if they create a softer floatier feel. My last sports car glided through speed but I experienced another car that was hunkered down and never wanted to go back to that type if float again. Do the Yellows have firmer valving than Orange?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just put 500mi with Swifts+ OEM struts/shocks on my 2018 and like them very much (I'm still just at ~2,000+mi total). I was worried about messing up the stock suspension and ruining the playfulness nature of the car but so far it's been positive.

When it comes time to replace the OEM shocks, what are the choices to replace them? I have ZERO interest in the Koni Oranges if they create a softer floatier feel. My last sports car glided through speed but I experienced another car that was hunkered down and never wanted to go back to that type if float again. Do the Yellows have firmer valving than Orange?
Swift springs are linear like stock and not any softer just lower, so definitely you went the right way to not mess with the stock responsiveness. With OEM springs the Orange don't feel floaty like they do when in conjunction with a softer spring like Eibach, I think that's the consensus reading through this thread, but yes, absolutely the yellow are firmer but are hard to find in stock...

The oranges won't feel like that if you have Swift springs paired with them. Those are far firmer than stock. Stock is 172/143lbs front/rear and the Swifts are 212lbs front and rear. I've had these well over 100mph on my squishy snow tires and never felt floaty or uncontrolled in any way. But the yellows are adjustable. I believe from about the same as the oranges dampening to stiffer settings but most won't need that for their daily like mine. Yellows were the bees knees on my speed3 but for this car I don't need to spend twice the money.

The oranges won't feel like that if you have Swift springs paired with them. Those are far firmer than stock. Stock is 172/143lbs front/rear and the Swifts are 212lbs front and rear. I've had these well over 100mph on my squishy snow tires and never felt floaty or uncontrolled in any way. But the yellows are adjustable. I believe from about the same as the oranges dampening to stiffer settings but most won't need that for their daily like mine. Yellows were the bees knees on my speed3 but for this car I don't need to spend twice the money.
Ahhh ok. My bad, I misread the posts on this thread then. Thanks for relaying your experience.