Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Torque for a steering related bolt needed

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Greetings all. Yesterday I was driving around and started hearing a popping sound when transitioning steering from left to right. Very apparent when parked. Jacked up the car and I had the bolt that holds the drivers side steering to the sub-frame sticking up about 1". I cranked it down (did not seem stripped or anything) but I do not have the torque. I lost my shop manual somewhere. Anyone know the torque?

Steering.jpg

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #2
I think I found my own answer, 90NM. If I am looking at the right thing.

Steering2.jpg

Yes, you are looking at the right thing. According to my 2018 FiST manual, 66 lb.ft or 90 Nm. My manual also notes that the bolts are one-time use and should be discarded if removed and replaced.

steering_rack.jpg

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Seems like something to look for at next inspection/oil-change.

That implies that they're TTY bolts... which means there's the possibility that the next time they'll snap when torqued loose or later after being torqued down.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the information/confirmation. What is funny is the 14' service manual I have I do not think has the little trash can on it for those bolts. Wonder if there are other differences between the years. I am going to order a extra bolt from Tasca. I cannot get a long torque wrench on it. (manual has you disassembling the subframe to get to it). Picked up a torque adapter from Harbor Freight to put on a regular wrench to see what torque I can put on it.

Quinn Torque.jpeg

harborfreight