Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Charge pipe recommendations please

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey all,

It's my birthday and Christmas and it's time for some charge pipes. I'll be dyno'ing again in a month or so and I've done a few upgrades since the last dyno, figured now that I have hybrid turbo it's time for this upgrade before the next time on the machine. I've spent a few hours doing my research and before I purchase I'd love some of your suggestions. I will NOT be running meth injection so I don't need one with a port; no BOV port is needed either.

I searched and read all the threads but I'm up for fresh perspectives.

My main questions are:

1, Do you recommend both hot and cold side or just hot side? I keep reading that the hot side is the one that makes the difference...
2, I see partial hot and full hot pipes...thoughts on which to choose? Obviously I'd go partial to save money if full isn't needed...
3, I see partial cold and full cold pipes...thoughts on which to choose? Obviously...same as #2...
4, I see a bunch of options that vary greatly in price and wonder if the DEPO will cut it or if I need to spend more money?
5, Is there a significant increase in sound? I will not have a BOV option, and in general I like my car quiet in terms of induction/turbo noises which is why I'm a bit scared of the DEPO, there were many comments about whistling on that thread even after clamps were super tight.
6. Do you recommend metal or silicone? I see WHOOSH has a silicone set but most of the other stuff is metal...

Here are the results of my research, these are the 5 options I'm considering:

1. MBRP $114.99 HOT SIDE ONLY - PARTIAL
https://jst-performance.com/products/mbrp-intercooler-pipe-fiesta-st

2. DEPO RACING $199.99 HOT SIDE FULL, COLD SIDE PARTIAL
http://www.deporacing.us/shop/ford/2013-ford-fiesta-st-intercooler-pipe-kit-copy/

3. MAP $249 HOT SIDE FULL, COLD SIDE FULL (I think - not sure on this one)
https://www.maperformance.com/produ...ge-pipe-upgrade-2014-ford-fiesta-st-fist-cpkx

4. MISHIMOTO $332 HOT SIDE FULL, COLD SIDE FULL
https://jst-performance.com/collect...e-kit-2014-ford-fiesta-st?variant=22483337607

5. WHOOSH $79.99 + $169.99 + $20.99 = $269.97 ?BOTH SIDES FULL?
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...i-flo-hot-side-intercooler-pipe-free-shipping
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...2014-intercooler-boost-hose-kit-free-shipping
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...it-for-intercooler-boost-hoses-fiesta-st-2014

If you have thoughts or an option I didn't mention I'd appreciate it immensely. Hoping to purchase soon so if you have ideas please share!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The whoosh kit is only the hot charge side pipe and hoses and clamps not the cold side pipe. Some say the cold pipe is not needed but a firend of mine who has the Mishimoto cold side aluminum pipe says it acts like a heat sink and helps the intercooler drop the temp going out. He has recorded this on his access port.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
The whoosh kit is only the hot charge side pipe and hoses and clamps not the cold side pipe. Some say the cold pipe is not needed but a firend of mine who has the Mishimoto cold side aluminum pipe says it acts like a heat sink and helps the intercooler drop the temp going out. He has recorded this on his access port.
Are you sure? The Whoosh set looks like cold side too to me according to this:

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...sports-Boost-Hose-Kit-REVIEW?highlight=whoosh

anticon

I got the depo set and decided not to install the cold side. I didn't see a benefit, it wasn't that much bigger and added another connection. On the depo hot side the mounting bracket will likely break off. Mine is broke off but no big deal so far without it.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Are you sure? The Whoosh set looks like cold side too to me according to this:

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...sports-Boost-Hose-Kit-REVIEW?highlight=whoosh
Look at the pics amd read the wording carefully its say from the intercooler to to the cold side pipe . There is no cold side pipe included.

I have been looking into this as well as my friend had mentioned the benefit of his Mishimoto cold side pipe. I found not many manufacturers sell cold side pipes. As I got my Mountune hot side charge pipe for $40 , I was hoping to find someone who had a reasonably priced cold side pipe that did not have the symposer tube mount on it . The Mishimoto does have it.

I got the depo set and decided not to install the cold side. I didn't see a benefit, it qwasn't that much bigger and added another connection. On the depo hot side the mounting bracket will likely break off. Mine is broke off but no big deal so far without it.
Is the depo cold side pipe aluminum? If so I might be interested in picking it uo.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Somewhat of a derailment, but could you have an option of no upgrade? I may not have researched as much as you have but I have been led to believe by my tuner and others that a hotside upgrade doesn't really do anything, even with a Hybrid.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I got the depo set and decided not to install the cold side. I didn't see a benefit, it wasn't that much bigger and added another connection. On the depo hot side the mounting bracket will likely break off. Mine is broke off but no big deal so far without it.
Thank you.

Mishimoto full set is cheaper @ Whoosh (299$)

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...moto-intercooler-pipe-kit-fiesta-st-2014-2017

That being said, I don't know performance wise, but the fact that it completely replace the stock pipes and it's full aluminum makes it really attractive.
Thanks I actually saw that after I posted. If I buy that one I'll definitely get it from Ron.

Look at the pics amd read the wording carefully its say from the intercooler to to the cold side pipe . There is no cold side pipe included.

I have been looking into this as well as my friend had mentioned the benefit of his Mishimoto cold side pipe. I found not many manufacturers sell cold side pipes. As I got my Mountune hot side charge pipe for $40 , I was hoping to find someone who had a reasonably priced cold side pipe that did not have the symposer tube mount on it . The Mishimoto does have it.

Is the depo cold side pipe aluminum? If so I might be interested in picking it uo.
Man I must be getting old or something, I've taken all that apart before and looking at those pictures it sure looks like at least part of the cold side is being replaced....maybe not the solid pipe itself but definitely some of the silicone. So I guess you'd call it a partial cold side replacement, only of the silicone but not the solid part. Maybe that's what you're saying too sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, you might be talking about a full metal solid replacement for the cold side. I'm honestly a bit scared to replace any of it with full solid pipes because there needs to be some flex there with the engine...that's what Mountune and Whoosh do...the Cobb pipes are one piece and they are well known for cracking and causing issues. No flex = something must break.

Somewhat of a derailment, but could you have an option of no upgrade? I may not have researched as much as you have but I have been led to believe by my tuner and others that a hotside upgrade doesn't really do anything, even with a Hybrid.
Yeah man that's why I'm still on stock pipes....I have a problem...I have money to burn....looking at the weak links in my setup and that's about the only thing I haven't replaced. Those Mishimoto HP and TQ increases are very possibly bogus but I can't get it off my mind....errrrrā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Man I must be getting old or something, I've taken all that apart before and looking at those pictures it sure looks like at least part of the cold side is being replaced....maybe not the solid pipe itself but definitely some of the silicone. So I guess you'd call it a partial cold side replacement, only of the silicone but not the solid part. Maybe that's what you're saying too sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, you might be talking about a full metal solid replacement for the cold side. I'm honestly a bit scared to replace any of it with full solid pipes because there needs to be some flex there with the engine...that's what Mountune and Whoosh do...the Cobb pipes are one piece and they are well known for cracking and causing issues. No flex = something must break.

Yeah man that's why I'm still on stock pipes....I have a problem...I have money to burn....looking at the weak links in my setup and that's about the only thing I haven't replaced. Those Mishimoto HP and TQ increases are very possibly bogus but I can't get it off my mind....errrrrā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
Welll its a Silcone hose replacement of the factory rubber hoses.

As far as the Tubing goes there a few things that can be addressed .

On the hot side most peoples hot side pipes donā€™t wok well or add HP because they do not size down gradually but go from larger to smaller diameter at the smaller diameter end into the turbo abruptly which is flow disruptive and defeats any possible gains.

It why the Mountune hot charge side pipe is only a half distance and actually does size gradually. The more expensive ones like what came with Revoā€™s old 242 hybrid turbo setup do this.
I beleive the pipes in the AET kits do this as well.

Most of the less expensive ones like even the Mishimoto hot side charge pipe have an abrupt downsize at one end.
Flow without turbulence is always better on charged induction setups.

On the cold side the factory cold pipe while plastic is a complete pipe attached to the intercooler hose. So replacing it with a Aluminum one is not going to cause undue stress or lack of flex.
The hot side is the side that is broken into sections with pieces of tubing in between.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just get the whoosh boost hose kit...everything else is just a waste unless your running meth.. or a BOV that's not factory.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Welll its a Silcone hose replacement of the factory rubber hoses.

As far as the Tubing goes there a few things that can be addressed .

On the hot side most peoples hot side pipes donā€™t wok well or add HP because they do not size down gradually but go from larger to smaller diameter at the smaller diameter end into the turbo abruptly which is flow disruptive and defeats any possible gains.

It why the Mountune hot charge side pipe is only a half distance and actually does size gradually. The more expensive ones like what came with Revoā€™s old 242 hybrid turbo setup do this.
I beleive the pipes in the AET kits do this as well.

Most of the less expensive ones like even the Mishimoto hot side charge pipe have an abrupt downsize at one end.
Flow without turbulence is always better on charged induction setups.

On the cold side the factory cold pipe while plastic is a complete pipe attached to the intercooler hose. So replacing it with a Aluminum one is not going to cause undue stress or lack of flex.
The hot side is the side that is broken into sections with pieces of tubing in between.
Just get the whoosh boost hose kit...everything else is just a waste unless your running meth.. or a BOV that's not factory.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks guys.

Dpro you make a very good point about the gradual (or not) size-down at the turbo...the Mountune kit and the Whoosh kit both do this.

I've thought on this and the goose is getting fat, the combination of

(1) good logical conclusions after hours of study
(2) Ron offering me a deal in exchange for a review
(3) Ron's version coming in RED
(4) Ron's version essentially being a mimic of the Mountune stuff, which I am sure was thought through with solid R&D, which lends further credibility to the Whoosh set
(5) Aaron's meme

have swayed me to get the full Whoosh kit. Thank you all for chiming in!!!

anticon

Thanks guys.

Dpro you make a very good point about the gradual (or not) size-down at the turbo...the Mountune kit and the Whoosh kit both do this.

I've thought on this and the goose is getting fat, the combination of

(1) good logical conclusions after hours of study
(2) Ron offering me a deal in exchange for a review
(3) Ron's version coming in RED
(4) Ron's version essentially being a mimic of the Mountune stuff, which I am sure was thought through with solid R&D, which lends further credibility to the Whoosh set
(5) Aaron's meme

have swayed me to get the full Whoosh kit. Thank you all for chiming in!!!
So, how did it turn out?

karp

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well I can confirm that Jeff is definitely THE MAN....literally...he is hung like a stud muffin field mouse! Legend in his own mind! [giggle]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
This is great (as always) and your production quality is fine :). I am amazed by how lucid and well-organized your commentary is, given that it's delivered live and off the cuff. I'd do a lot worse.
Ha ha thanks and glad it was enjoyable.

Well I can confirm that Jeff is definitely THE MAN....literally...he is hung like a stud muffin field mouse! Legend in his own mind! [giggle]
The only person that thinks I'm a legend is my 9 year old little girl. "Daddy can fix anything!" "Daddy's car is faster than a Corvette!" "Daddy is the greatest!"

[video=youtube;f9UnrPmaj5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9UnrPmaj5g[/video]