Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Should I Visit Dealer Before I Start the Mods?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Again ^^^^ is trying to cheat the system. Having Ford pay for nothing they did.
Here's the thing: innocent until proven guilty. The OTA tunes are unlikely to cause an engine failure, but if someone stuck their fingers in and modified the tune, which then caused the failure - that's another story. The trouble is that people get wary of getting guff from the dealers over ANY mods/tunes and reflash back to the stock before bringing the car in.

So, unless you have definitive proof that someone was screwing with core tune variables to the point that the engine disintegrated - rather than simply using, e.g., Cobb maps, you can't summarily deny the service.

This just reinforces the situation in which the car owner would be more prone to denying having flashed ANY tune, perpetuating the viscous circle.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Here's the thing: innocent until proven guilty. The OTA tunes are unlikely to cause an engine failure, but if someone stuck their fingers in and modified the tune, which then caused the failure - that's another story. The trouble is that people get wary of getting guff from the dealers over ANY mods/tunes and reflash back to the stock before bringing the car in.

So, unless you have definitive proof that someone was screwing with core tune variables to the point that the engine disintegrated - rather than simply using, e.g., Cobb maps, you can't summarily deny the service.

This just reinforces the situation in which the car owner would be more prone to denying have flashes ANY tune, perpetuating the viscous circle.
I fully agree with this position. Cobb AP tunes cannot be modified by the owner of the Cobb AP. Its not an Apexi PowerFC which I could attach to my ECU and go to town adjusting AFR’s, setting boost levels per gear, attaching a wideband for the o2. This is all stuff that can only be done by the tuner and Ford actually released codes for the ECU’s for Cobb tuners to access. Therefor someone at Ford designated this stuff safe enough.
Honestly ya someone bolts on a big turbo boosts to high for the fuel system and goes boom on them.
Most average users though are gonna buy a AP flash a stage 1 or 2 tune with a few bolt ons and call it a day.
Yet dumb dealers are gonna say ah we know why your engine blew, its the tune with bolt ons. Except joe’s 2014 had a factory discovered issue happen before the recall not his fault. Should he be denied when it was clearly a Ford mistake?

Like I said earlier there are two sides to this coin. Bottom line go to a dealer that is performance oriented. You will have better peace of mind, more understanding and usually more knowledgable people overall.