Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Member 83 Rep Points speed_easy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4616
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Detroit
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    83


    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have both Motorcraft Dot 4 and Motul 660 sitting on my parts shelf. The first I used to top off for the first year or so, through the first OEM front brake change. More recently I've ran the rbf 660 with the race pads and rotors beginning in June 2018. That's what I have in my lines now. But with motorcraft rotors and pads
    This car needs another top off on fluid. About to be on my third street brake set with 76k on the clock.

    This car breks.

  2. #12
    Senior Member 971 Rep Points koozy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    235
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    971


    It should be noted that Motorcraft DOT 4 is LV.

  3. #13
    Member 83 Rep Points speed_easy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4616
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Detroit
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    83


    Which one do you prefer OP?

    Is it LV or HV or somewhere in between??

  4. #14
    Senior Member 971 Rep Points koozy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    235
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    971


    1 Likes

    Quote Originally Posted by speed_easy View Post
    Which one do you prefer OP?

    Is it LV or HV or somewhere in between??
    Funny you should ask! LOL

    I'm currently using Prestone DOT4 because though the bottle seal had not been broken I've had it for far too long sitting on my shelf and wanted to use it. So yeah, not by the book but neither is my motor oil choice with 0w40.

    For my next brake fluid flush I will use what is easily attainable locally which is Pentosin DOT 4 LV or Motorcraft DOT 4 LV. Either will suffice for my needs and use.

  5. #15
    Member 83 Rep Points speed_easy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4616
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Detroit
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    83


    Why do you need ultra low end temp viscosity? Do you not like cold starts that much?

    The 40w in California valley I can understand. But both extremes at the same time??

  6. #16
    Senior Member 971 Rep Points koozy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    235
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    971


    Quote Originally Posted by speed_easy View Post
    Why do you need ultra low end temp viscosity? Do you not like cold starts that much?

    The 40w in California valley I can understand. But both extremes at the same time??
    Not so much a need, but want to go by the book for it. The brake, abs, and esc are a critical components in handling and stopping and if it was design with LV in mind, then I will just go with it. I don't want to over think it. It's also a better fluid for my use than regular DOT 4.

  7. #17
    Member 83 Rep Points speed_easy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4616
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Detroit
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    83


    Quote Originally Posted by koozy View Post
    Funny you should ask! LOL

    I'm currently using Prestone DOT4 because though the bottle seal had not been broken I've had it for far too long sitting on my shelf and wanted to use it. So yeah, not by the book but neither is my motor oil choice with 0w40.

    For my next brake fluid flush I will use what is easily attainable locally which is Pentosin DOT 4 LV or Motorcraft DOT 4 LV. Either will suffice for my needs and use.
    Nothing like good brake fluid. The best brake fluid has zero water in it!

  8. #18
    Member 83 Rep Points speed_easy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4616
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Detroit
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    83


    Quote Originally Posted by koozy View Post
    Not so much a need, but want to go by the book for it. The brake, abs, and esc are a critical components in handling and stopping and if it was design with LV in mind, then I will just go with it. I don't want to over think it. It's also a better fluid for my use than regular DOT 4.
    This is interesting. Ever since I went motul 660 my brakes felt kind of sloppy. Not less... critical threshold control force. Moreso mid breaking zone cornering feel.

    Do you think this has anything to do with the "e" LSD sharing the esc control unit??

  9. #19
    Senior Member 971 Rep Points koozy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    235
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    971


    Quote Originally Posted by speed_easy View Post
    This is interesting. Ever since I went motul 660 my brakes felt kind of sloppy. Not less... critical threshold control force. Moreso mid breaking zone cornering feel.

    Do you think this has anything to do with the "e" LSD sharing the esc control unit??
    Completely feasible. There are minute orifices for fluid to occupy within the ABS and ESC system. The higher viscosity can affect fluidity and operation IMO. It would be interesting if in the future you can swap fluid and note the differences if any.

  10. #20
    Member 83 Rep Points speed_easy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4616
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Detroit
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    83


    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by koozy View Post
    Completely feasible. There are minute orifices for fluid to occupy within the ABS and ESC system. The higher viscosity can affect fluidity and operation IMO. It would be interesting if in the future you can swap fluid and note the differences if any.
    I can believe it. Any changes with regard to viscosity mean a difference in fluid flow per given rate. Changing the viscosity of the fluid without subsequently redesigning the orifice size could change net pedal / customer input feel.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. BRAKE FLUID LEAK? Anyone else?
    By TheCorneringStore in forum Suspension, Brakes & Chassis
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-05-2018, 11:59 AM
  2. Need brake fluid help.
    By Jimmy2shoes in forum Suspension, Brakes & Chassis
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM
  3. Upgrading my brakes and want to know how much brake fluid to buy.
    By GateCityRadio in forum Suspension, Brakes & Chassis
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2016, 01:58 PM
  4. Spongy brake after bleeding out all brake fluid
    By JAD in forum Suspension, Brakes & Chassis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2015, 08:55 AM
  5. Brake fluid reservoir
    By Colin1337 in forum Maintenance, Warranty Issues & Troubleshooting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •