Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coilovers: Meister R GT1 VS Ford Racing

Go with the Meister R GT1 coilovers, I have them on my car and love them! 32 way adjustable damper settings and front camber plates are the bees knees lol I was very happy with the way the car handles, Jerrick was awesome to work with too! He was always fast to respond to emails and will work with you on exactly what you want out of your vehicle

Neither if the Meister R is a rear Coilover also like the Ford.

I did a bunch of research on why no one other than Ford was making a true coilover for the rear. So much so that I tracked down an engineer at Eibach who was involved in the Ford Racing design.

Turns out the B-Spec Ford kit was designed to work with a standardized B-Spec cage that the rear Coilovers tied to. In the absence of that cage for support both Ford and Eibach deemed the coilover kit by itself "unsafe" (his words). Seems that neither Ford nor Eibach thought that the thin sheetmetal the shock top currently bolts to would support the weight of the car over time. Ford/Eibach pulled the kit from production, although it was re-released for the EU market - with rear springs and adjustable perches.

You'll probably find that while Steeda lists that kit for sale they probably can't get it if they're not sitting on one in stock. I went with ST-XTA's ultimately with zero regrets.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Neither if the Meister R is a rear Coilover also like the Ford.

I did a bunch of research on why no one other than Ford was making a true coilover for the rear. So much so that I tracked down an engineer at Eibach who was involved in the Ford Racing design.

Turns out the B-Spec Ford kit was designed to work with a standardized B-Spec cage that the rear Coilovers tied to. In the absence of that cage for support both Ford and Eibach deemed the coilover kit by itself "unsafe" (his words). Seems that neither Ford nor Eibach thought that the thin sheetmetal the shock top currently bolts to would support the weight of the car over time. Ford/Eibach pulled the kit from production, although it was re-released for the EU market - with rear springs and adjustable perches.

You'll probably find that while Steeda lists that kit for sale they probably can't get it if they're not sitting on one in stock. I went with ST-XTA's ultimately with zero regrets.
That's great information thank you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

As Ccrew says, I think you should go with a divorced setup at the rear.

I'm using Bilstein B14, which frankly is only a marginal improvement over OE. The ride and body control are better than OE, but the car is a bit too low for the street, and lacks neg camber on the track. If I was doing this again, I'd go with Koni Sports, OE springs, and the camber bolts I already have. Still a compromise, but the car would likely be more comfortable and just as fun on the street, and only slightly less capable on track.

I have coilovers on two cars, and honestly they never get adjusted. Once I find a height that works for me, they just stay there.

OP
R
Thread Starter #7
Go with the Meister R GT1 coilovers, I have them on my car and love them! 32 way adjustable damper settings and front camber plates are the bees knees lol I was very happy with the way the car handles, Jerrick was awesome to work with too! He was always fast to respond to emails and will work with you on exactly what you want out of your vehicle
What spring rate did u go with/ recommend?

Just to clarify the rear spring and shock are separate on the Meister R. And I went with 8K front and rear with my setup, love it! I don't recommend driving around town with them all on full stiff since its is pretty rough so adjust the fronts 15 clicks out of full stiff and rear 20 clicks out and it rides almost like a factory set up at that point.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Just for your information,

The Ford B Spec. set is manufactured by Eibach.
The B Spec valving is way too harsh for street/track use.
They were going to re-valve them and sell them here in the US.

My car was the test mule for this project.
I have a set of them on my car now.

As stated above this project was stopped do to the lack of upper support in the rear.
So as mine are the fully thread barrels, my rear springs are back at the normal location.

Dave

What spring rate did u go with/ recommend?
The stock springs are ~3K/2.5K front/rear. The typical default coilover spring rates (BC, MeisterR etc.) are 5K/3K. A typical step up for track is 6K/4K (see RaamAudio user thread and others). CaptinFord's 8K/8K setup is pretty gnarly: he obviously likes it and you might also. It's really down to taste, tolerance and goals.

I just got the MeisterR GT1 coils with the default 5K/3K springs. That spring rate is plenty for me: I'm looking for a competent, composed, comfortable setup. The comfort aspect (and the happy wife, happy life rule) are key aspects. (I'd wager that CaptinFord is the only one smiling in his car [hihi], but I bet his smile is huge)

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I like my MeisterRs. Did it help the handling? I don't know, I'm sure it did but I also only had the stock suspenion on for like a few hundred miles when I bought the car brand new. Stock suspension isn't really all that bad but there is always room for improvement. I guarantee it helped and if the rare case that it didn't, it still allows you to adjust dampening and ride height.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As Ccrew says, I think you should go with a divorced setup at the rear.

I'm using Bilstein B14, which frankly is only a marginal improvement over OE. The ride and body control are better than OE, but the car is a bit too low for the street, and lacks neg camber on the track. If I was doing this again, I'd go with Koni Sports, OE springs, and the camber bolts I already have. Still a compromise, but the car would likely be more comfortable and just as fun on the street, and only slightly less capable on track.

I have coilovers on two cars, and honestly they never get adjusted. Once I find a height that works for me, they just stay there.
Actually, if you go with a good linear rate spring (like the Swifts) with the Koni Sports, it would probably be even MORE 'capable' on a road course than the B14s, which are valved to, and use, a progressive rate spring. ;)