Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hesitation while accelerating

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It still baffles me why people buy a Performance vehicle and don't want the full on experience if you get what I mean. [pcpunch]
I don't understand either I give credit to some luxury brands that put a big ol label premium fuel only.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=9629]Ford ST[/MENTION] - Paperback Owner's manual > PDF Owner's Manual
The PDF manual isn't nearly that detailed on specifications and doesn't list an octane for premium.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't understand either I give credit to some luxury brands that put a big ol label premium fuel only.

I will get a 93 OCT ONLY sticker for my gas door now just to make sure anyone else who drives my car.....which is a rarity will put the correct gasoline into my car!

Wait. . ..so "just because the manual states it, does not mean it was meant for it". Wow.

OK you lost me. This is why i typically don't come to forums, this very elitist attitide you guys are conveying.

The o.p. never chimed back in, probably because you guys scared him off.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It's pretty easy to understand the car is capable of running 87 because it's capable of adjusting the ignition timing and boost. To get the power the car was designed for you have to run 93. If you don't care about getting the best performance put 87 in it I don't care it's your car. Yes I understand some people can only get 91, but that's better than 87. I even spent the time to find the recommendations in the manual.

CSM

1000 Post Club
It's pretty easy to understand the car is capable of running 87 because it's capable of adjusting the ignition timing and boost. To get the power the car was designed for you have to run 93. If you don't care about getting the best performance put 87 in it I don't care it's your car. Yes I understand some people can only get 91, but that's better than 87. I even spent the time to find the recommendations in the manual.

This X 100.

Stock FiSTs can run 87 just fine without risking damage to the engine. The ECU will make proper adjustments for the lower octane.

There are situations where 87 might be worth it (road trips?) Where you want frugality over power.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
This X 100.

Stock FiSTs can run 87 just fine without risking damage to the engine. The ECU will make proper adjustments for the lower octane.

There are situations where 87 might be worth it (road trips?) Where you want frugality over power.
I want the power though.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I want the power though.

I get it, me too! But its nice to know that our cars can safely run 87 as well, at least on OEM tune.

I vaguely remember someone on Facebook doing a dyno of a factory Fiesta ST on 87 vs. 93 and seeing a gain of 15ish whp, but that was 5 years ago.

Also interestingly enough running a fully stock Fiesta ST on E30 will yield power gains, even without custom tune

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

I agree with this completely. There's just no reason to buy this car and then hold it back from its maximum performance by putting 87 octane gas in it.
I do think the manuals are a little confusing on this point. In the ones I have, in one place it does say that 87 octane is recommended. However, as you pointed out earlier in this thread in another place in the manual it does say that the maximum horsepower is achieved on 93 octane. The clear message for anyone that cares about their car is to run 93 octane in it, or 91 if that's the highest you can get. I suspect Ford may want the best of both worlds here, telling people who are concerned about the higher cost of premium gas that they can run it on regular, while in a more obscure way letting people know that they should really be running premium. They should just tell people that they need to run premium period, as an earlier poster said. For me, it's been so long since I've had a car that runs on regular I barely even notice that pump when I go to the gas station.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I agree with this completely. There's just no reason to buy this car and then hold it back from its maximum performance by putting 87 octane gas in it.
I do think the manuals are a little confusing on this point. In the ones I have, in one place it does say that 87 octane is recommended. However, as you pointed out earlier in this thread in another place in the manual it does say that the maximum horsepower is achieved on 93 octane. The clear message for anyone that cares about their car is to run 93 octane in it, or 91 if that's the highest you can get. I suspect Ford may want the best of both worlds here, telling people who are concerned about the higher cost of premium gas that they can run it on regular, while in a more obscure way letting people know that they should really be running premium. They should just tell people that they need to run premium period, as an earlier poster said. For me, it's been so long since I've had a car that runs on regular I barely even notice that pump when I go to the gas station.
This is my take, some guy at Ford In Detriot sat there and said how the fxmx are we supposed to sell a friggen souped up economy car saying it requires premium fuel. I know we will put in the manual that you can run it on 87 of course the ECU will retard timing and lower boost and it wion’t be as powerful. Then we will put its best to run it on premium.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
As long as they don't have to compromise on performance, there's nothing wrong with being able to offer the best of both worlds. My 13.1/1 compression motorcycle engine runs on premium only. But it doesn't have special cams that can modify mechanical valve timing on a whim. All it can do is modify ignition timing.