Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY oil cooler project feedback

koozy

3000 Post Club
Hmm... smart people don’t buy used oil coolers, only suckers. But that’s my opinion and there’s a good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is weird to see on a fiesta. On my highly modified pontiac g8 I have an aftermarket oil cooler installed but it's odd to see a stock car having this issue.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
A 160 mishi thermostat will negate the need of either oil cooler and larger radiator, it’s been proven. And less expensive if that’s a factor.
At a certain point I think going too cool on the thermostat can lead to higher emissions, which I understand most people don't care about, but likely more carbon buildup as well, so personally I'd lean towards the new Ford 180 degree one that is used for the early FiST cooling recalls. Not bashing anyone's opinion, just offering some food for thought.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So oil, especially full synthetic, doesn't really begin breaking down from even it's full protective properties until at least 250 degrees, so is an oil cooler for those who track or does it really help coolant temps in daily driving? Which is definitely a larger concern with our cars...

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the info Sekred. In regards to airflow to the radiator I'm going to be removing some of the plastic in the grills that block the air and possibly trimming the crash beam. With the possibility of the focus RS intercooler fitting some more trimming is most likely on the bottom as well; hopefully without reducing airflow to the radiator.
I'll have to look into the possibility of keeping the coolant+oil heat exchanger as the car is daily driven and would like the idea of coolant aiding in the warm of oil. As far as I recall there doesn't seem to be much space in that area. Do you have the oil sandwich plate installed like this: engine block > heat exchanger > sandwhich plate > filter ?
I'd ideally just get the larger radiator but it's a bit out of my budget (the resale value of a universal oil cooler should also be slightly higher if I ever get my hands on an upgraded rad + stock oil cooler).
Yes, I am running it how you described, "engine block > heat exchanger > sandwhich plate > filter".

There is very little room in there. It took a while to work out, I am using 180 degree hose ends with the JIC fittings facing up and its very tight. I am also using a Mocal core and thermostat plate, don't skimp here is my advice.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Best value way to do this: Run a Fram TG3600 oil filter (Silver tough Guard never the orange crap), very long barely clears a stock radiator, so if you do get an aftermarket radiator, there is a 2 row, 40mm think one that is sold under a few brands, including PumaSpeed, that is $285 on eBay. Then run a Wix 51516 which is a touch shorter than the Fram and will clear, but people are surprised at how much running a huge oil filter helps as an oil cooler and as long as you run full synthetic you are probably good up to 250 degrees+ on your oil.