Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY oil cooler project feedback

First post please be gentle. Hoping to get some feedback for this project.

I'm planning to do an oil cooler install on my ST as it has overheated numerous times even in 28°C weather. The go to mod in this scenario is an upgraded radiator from Mishitymoto or CSF/Mountune however with the current USD/CAD conversion rate and shipping it is out of budget. I've followed another thread and have picked up a few parts in preparation for the install. Hopefully the reduce strain on the radiator will improve coolant temperatures (I also want to do for looks [:I]).

Continuing with the budget theme most of the parts selected are from eBay/Amazon. Prices in USD
  • Mishi "medium" dual pass oil cooler clone from eBay ~90
  • Derale oil filter nipple (#98020 3/4"-16) ~4
  • Sandwich Plate w/ Thermostat ~22
  • -10AN Stainless Steel Nylon Braided Oil Hose + Fittings ~60 (~24 of fittings and hose needed, saving extra for future projects)
  • TOTAL ~140 https://imgur.com/a/gqQab1a
Opted for an oil cooler with side feed inlet and outlet and dual pass to help with oil drainage and fitting into slim space of the upper grill. The eBay seller said its pretty much the same as the Mishi unit (costing 1/3 the price). Looking at the unit the quality control level is obviously low or nonexistent but it doesn't look too bad.

Other than "You should've opted for the radiator upgrade" comments I'm wondering if you guys/gals have any feedback for me. Thanks.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
First post please be gentle. Hoping to get some feedback for this project.

I'm planning to do an oil cooler install on my ST as it has overheated numerous times even in 28°C weather. The go to mod in this scenario is an upgraded radiator from Mishitymoto or CSF/Mountune however with the current USD/CAD conversion rate and shipping it is out of budget. I've followed another thread and have picked up a few parts in preparation for the install. Hopefully the reduce strain on the radiator will improve coolant temperatures (I also want to do for looks [:I]).

Continuing with the budget theme most of the parts selected are from eBay/Amazon. Prices in USD
  • Mishi "medium" dual pass oil cooler clone from eBay ~90
  • Derale oil filter nipple (#98020 3/4"-16) ~4
  • Sandwich Plate w/ Thermostat ~22
  • -10AN Stainless Steel Nylon Braided Oil Hose + Fittings ~60 (~24 of fittings and hose needed, saving extra for future projects)
  • TOTAL ~140 https://imgur.com/a/gqQab1a
Opted for an oil cooler with side feed inlet and outlet and dual pass to help with oil drainage and fitting into slim space of the upper grill. The eBay seller said its pretty much the same as the Mishi unit (costing 1/3 the price). Looking at the unit the quality control level is obviously low or nonexistent but it doesn't look too bad.

Other than "You should've opted for the radiator upgrade" comments I'm wondering if you guys/gals have any feedback for me. Thanks.
Looks like a great Idea! Make sure to do a DIY write up!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! Will do only waiting on warmer weather to get working. Also have a wild idea to try to wiggle in an OEM Focus RS intercooler under the bumper (why not if the bumper is already off) as I haven't found anyone who has tried it before. Baby RS maybe?[rockon]

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Thanks! Will do only waiting on warmer weather to get working. Also have a wild idea to try to wiggle in an OEM Focus RS intercooler under the bumper (why not if the bumper is already off) as I haven't found anyone who has tried it before. Baby RS maybe?[rockon]
Let us know if you're successful. I'd like to know as would others, I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

XanRules

I believe the RS intercooler is plagued by the same issues as the Fiesta and Focus ST intercoolers (i.e. it isn't sufficient for modified cars and/or those in warmer climates) and I imagine by the time you've spent the time and money to get it working, you could have purchased a direct fit one that will function better.

The oil cooler idea looks very good, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

koozy

3000 Post Club
A 160 mishi thermostat will negate the need of either oil cooler and larger radiator, it’s been proven. And less expensive if that’s a factor.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
Got inspired from a local listing that had the Focus RS intercooler laying beside the Fiesta ST intercooler. Rough measurements of the inlet and outlet (outside edges) if I remember are about 3.5" smaller for the Focus RS. I hope there is enough play in the hoses to line up. The new whoosh cast intercooler from Ron looks really good but i cant justify the price just yet (~475 CAD).
Whoosh V2 measures 29.25 L" x 6.25" H x 3" W vs the Focus RS 24" x 7.75" x 3.25" (548 in[SUP]3[/SUP] vs 604in[SUP]3[/SUP]). I'm not against cutting up some of the bumper to fit [tongue].

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
A 160 mishi thermostat will negate the need of either oil cooler and larger radiator, it’s been proven. And less expensive if that’s a factor.
I have looked into it (on sale as of now for $43 USD, nice!) but from what I've read so far I don't think it will solve my problem.. Still stuck with paper thin radiator. I saw your write-up and I just have to say thank you if I ever get around to doing the same job lol.

Looking forward to seeing the oil cooler in action, hopefully you'll have enough room between the engine and radiator with that sandwhich plate!

zanethan

I know someone else has done an oil cooler install. Might want to seek out their thread for inspiration. I find forum searches are poor and typing the subject followed by the forum website into google has proven far better results.

Example:
Oil cooler fiestastforum.com

Thermostat temp doesn't matter that much if you're overheating (~245+ I imagine). A 160 degree or 210 degree or 190 degree will all be wide open long before that point.

Also, thermostat doesn't do anything for oil temps. On the street the coolant does most of your cooling, on the track your oil takes a larger share of that duty, which is why people run oil coolers on track cars vs just a big radiator. Many OEM cars will run perfectly fine coolant temps and see scary oil temps. The delta between the two grows on track.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I get your reasoning, but it’s been done on the FiST and shown to work.

And a thermostat does affect oil temperatures, several of us have noted that when we went with a lower stat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a thermostat does affect oil temperatures, several of us have noted that when we went with a lower stat.

Were the lower oil temperatures sensor measured or calculated? (Don’t know if it matters, but the oil temp algorithm could conceivably be affected by the nonstandard rate of coolant temperature change)

koozy

3000 Post Club
Calculated, as most of us have not gone through the trouble of hooking up a dedicated oil temp gauge. However, [MENTION=62]Sekred[/MENTION] has installed an oil temp gauge and perhaps he could chime in, as he also has a 180 motor craft stat and tracks his car.

Cool. I monitor my “oil temp “ on my AP, but I don’t feel that I could trust the data if it’s close to the upper limits of the range, especially since it seems that the best way to ensure long term reliability is to avoid any over heating events.

Link? Genuinely curious.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I am running the 180F T Stat and an oil temp gauge. My oil temp sits around 185F. I do not track my car at the moment nor have I taken it for a good canyon run.
Before I installed the 180F T Stat my coolant temps sat around 205F.
I agree with what tyhackman 15 said here,

"Thermostat temp doesn't matter that much if you're overheating (~245+ I imagine). A 160 degree or 210 degree or 190 degree will all be wide open long before that point."

If your cooling system is "maxed out", changing the thermostat is not going to help.

The USDM ST seems to have a problem with overheating that the Euro ST does not experience from what I have read about on different forums, why?. Is the cooling system different in anyway. To state the obvious the radiator needs air flow to transfer heat. If you look at the front of the vehicle about 1/3 of the flow to the rad is restricted by the IC, another 1/3 blocked by the crash bar and its really only the top section of the rad getting full air flow and then what do the US engineers do, jam a big strip of metal across the area with some kind crash impact sensors mount on it and block even more air flow. I just think no wonder some of you guys are have cooling system problems.

I am running DIY oil cooler set-up and still run the factory heat exchanger. I call it a heat exchanger because that's what it is. If the coolant is hotter than the oil, then it will heat the oil and vise-versa.
If the coolant is running too hot because the system is maxed out ( add airflow and ambient temp here too) then adding a oil cooler is not going to make the difference you would need IMO. Start with cooling system first and then address oil temp problems if you have them and/or you are running more boost, big turbo, race you car or just like to play with it and spend money like me.

IMG_2302.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #20
Link? Genuinely curious.
Thanks for the info Sekred. In regards to airflow to the radiator I'm going to be removing some of the plastic in the grills that block the air and possibly trimming the crash beam. With the possibility of the focus RS intercooler fitting some more trimming is most likely on the bottom as well; hopefully without reducing airflow to the radiator.
I'll have to look into the possibility of keeping the coolant+oil heat exchanger as the car is daily driven and would like the idea of coolant aiding in the warm of oil. As far as I recall there doesn't seem to be much space in that area. Do you have the oil sandwich plate installed like this: engine block > heat exchanger > sandwhich plate > filter ?
I'd ideally just get the larger radiator but it's a bit out of my budget (the resale value of a universal oil cooler should also be slightly higher if I ever get my hands on an upgraded rad + stock oil cooler).