Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"Clunking" every morning pulling out of parking spot

Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

I am having "clunking" noise coming from front tire (not sure which one) while backing out of my parking spot every morning only with steering wheel turned almost full clock (Eg, i'm backing out and turning my steering wheel at the same time). I hear 2-4 loud clunks as i'm backing. Doesn't matter which direction I turn. I would almost describe the sensation as feeling like the front is wheel is "hopping" a bit while this clunking is happening. I can hear it in the front tires. I don't ever have any issues over speed bumps in the parking lot while moving straight (no creaking, no noises).

Later on in the day, if I drive around in circles in the parking lot even with the steering wheel at full clock, it's completely normal.

I've taken it to Ford. They said they can't pin down the issue. They said the hotline has no answers. Actually, they blamed it on the OEM wheels and "low profile tires" and I almost exploded, I cited that it was absolutely unacceptable and this was a bad excuse and it reflects the level of incompetency (i've had a lot of issues in the past with Ford... they don't like fix things, they told me my loud ass brakes were due to the car being "sporty" turns out it was a bad bearing but it took 6-7 trips to multiple dealers to actually diagnose and fix). This time around, they said it's not the upper or lower control arms. Alignment is fine. It's no the axles. Nothing looks amiss. They want to send me home with the vehicle. I am contacting Ford Corporate (I also have the issue where my car idles rough and dies after filling up the gas tank, have tried the solutions here, they refuse to acknowledge it's an issue even though the car will die in the middle of the street after a fill-up).

Would appreciate any help... I have tried to capture a video/audio but it's difficult to do so.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I believe you may be correct in my past experience with vehicles making this sound when backing up, have always led to a steering rack issue of some sort. Just a word of advice to the OP calling people incompetent generally will not get you good service. I understand you are frustrated, but you have to learn to kill with kindness.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
I believe you may be correct in my past experience with vehicles making this sound when backing up, have always led to a steering rack issue of some sort. Just a word of advice to the OP calling people incompetent generally will not get you good service. I understand you are frustrated, but you have to learn to kill with kindness.

Thanks.
I didn't directly call them incompetent but I bet they knew I was frustrated (What I said on the phone was that what they were telling me was an excuse). It gets tiring having to shift my work schedule around in order to keep bringing in the car over and over again. When it impairs my ability to work (and make a living) and they don't acknowledge the concern, instead blaming the "OEM wheels and low profile tires." it just threw me over the edge.

I can call back and ask them kindly to inspect steering rack components. Aside from the three bolts re: loose rack, is there anything else I can suggest? I don't have a way (tools or space) to inspect myself, so this might be worthwhile to ask while they physically have the car in their possession.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The steering rack bolts, and the bolts for the steering column would be a good suggestion. Dealerships can suck sometimes. I had a service advisor that would not leave me a voicemail because he didn't like the song I had for the voicemail, which I no longer have now.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
The steering rack bolts, and the bolts for the steering column would be a good suggestion. Dealerships can suck sometimes. I had a service advisor that would not leave me a voicemail because he didn't like the song I had for the voicemail, which I no longer have now.

Thank you so much!

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
Just an update: The dealer confirmed they did check all the steering rack and column bolts (previously) and found no issues. Still at loss of what's wrong.

dmb

mine started doing that, then after a wile i could hear the brakes making noise, I jacked up the front left wheel pulled on the wheel... wheel bearings toast.

dmb

mine started doing that, then after a wile i could hear the brakes making noise, I jacked up the front left wheel pulled on the wheel... wheel bearings toast. stub axle toast [bearing welded itself to it]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

I would've told that asshole to go pound sand....then follow it all up by getting his Voicemailbox # and leave him a message at work with the song he disliked so much....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I would've told that asshole to go pound sand....then follow it all up by getting his Voicemailbox # and leave him a message at work with the song he disliked so much....

He got fired so did the service manager so I won. It was a country boy can survive I went through a redneck stage.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
He got fired so did the service manager so I won.

What a bunch of meatballs.....what's the name of that stealership? So I can steer clear of those dingleberries with a wide berth.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Green Ford.

Wish we had a list of dealerships that were good or a bunch of cockwombles on the forum to save people the hassle of petty crap.

OP
S
Thread Starter #17
What year is your car? This was an issue for some with ‘14-15 MY.
Mine is a 2014.

mine started doing that, then after a wile i could hear the brakes making noise, I jacked up the front left wheel pulled on the wheel... wheel bearings toast. stub axle toast [bearing welded itself to it]
One of my bearing is new in the front (long long long issue that was ignored by the last dealership, finally fixed last year). I just asked them if they checked both bearings and they said both are good. How can you tell they're bad? What do they look like? Do they look bent or damaged?

edit: I just watched this video. Not sure how much they did as far as an "inspection" for the bearings, but I imagine you can be lazy about it (shake the wheel a bit and if no play, assume no bearing issue) because it takes a lot of work to pull it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_WtKIKlYA

koozy

3000 Post Club
"Clunking" every morning pulling out of parking spot

Suspect the driveshaft. They can say it’s tight and they checked it, bla bla bla but there were a batch of out of spec driveshafts and when some with noise issues swapped for a new one the noise went away. You can try searching the forum, it’s buried here somewhere of those afflicted, mainly ‘14-15 MY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford Community Posts