Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member 47 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Clunking" every morning pulling out of parking spot

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

I am having "clunking" noise coming from front tire (not sure which one) while backing out of my parking spot every morning only with steering wheel turned almost full clock (Eg, i'm backing out and turning my steering wheel at the same time). I hear 2-4 loud clunks as i'm backing. Doesn't matter which direction I turn. I would almost describe the sensation as feeling like the front is wheel is "hopping" a bit while this clunking is happening. I can hear it in the front tires. I don't ever have any issues over speed bumps in the parking lot while moving straight (no creaking, no noises).

Later on in the day, if I drive around in circles in the parking lot even with the steering wheel at full clock, it's completely normal.

I've taken it to Ford. They said they can't pin down the issue. They said the hotline has no answers. Actually, they blamed it on the OEM wheels and "low profile tires" and I almost exploded, I cited that it was absolutely unacceptable and this was a bad excuse and it reflects the level of incompetency (i've had a lot of issues in the past with Ford... they don't like fix things, they told me my loud ass brakes were due to the car being "sporty" turns out it was a bad bearing but it took 6-7 trips to multiple dealers to actually diagnose and fix). This time around, they said it's not the upper or lower control arms. Alignment is fine. It's no the axles. Nothing looks amiss. They want to send me home with the vehicle. I am contacting Ford Corporate (I also have the issue where my car idles rough and dies after filling up the gas tank, have tried the solutions here, they refuse to acknowledge it's an issue even though the car will die in the middle of the street after a fill-up).

Would appreciate any help... I have tried to capture a video/audio but it's difficult to do so.

Senior Member 967 Rep Points koozy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Member 47 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koozy View Post
    Thanks koozy, however, doesn't seem to match symptoms?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koozy View Post
    I believe you may be correct in my past experience with vehicles making this sound when backing up, have always led to a steering rack issue of some sort. Just a word of advice to the OP calling people incompetent generally will not get you good service. I understand you are frustrated, but you have to learn to kill with kindness.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Member 47 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ford ST View Post
    I believe you may be correct in my past experience with vehicles making this sound when backing up, have always led to a steering rack issue of some sort. Just a word of advice to the OP calling people incompetent generally will not get you good service. I understand you are frustrated, but you have to learn to kill with kindness.

Thanks.
    I didn't directly call them incompetent but I bet they knew I was frustrated (What I said on the phone was that what they were telling me was an excuse). It gets tiring having to shift my work schedule around in order to keep bringing in the car over and over again. When it impairs my ability to work (and make a living) and they don't acknowledge the concern, instead blaming the "OEM wheels and low profile tires." it just threw me over the edge.

I can call back and ask them kindly to inspect steering rack components. Aside from the three bolts re: loose rack, is there anything else I can suggest? I don't have a way (tools or space) to inspect myself, so this might be worthwhile to ask while they physically have the car in their possession.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The steering rack bolts, and the bolts for the steering column would be a good suggestion. Dealerships can suck sometimes. I had a service advisor that would not leave me a voicemail because he didn't like the song I had for the voicemail, which I no longer have now.

Member 47 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ford ST View Post
    The steering rack bolts, and the bolts for the steering column would be a good suggestion. Dealerships can suck sometimes. I had a service advisor that would not leave me a voicemail because he didn't like the song I had for the voicemail, which I no longer have now.

Thank you so much!

Member 47 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an update: The dealer confirmed they did check all the steering rack and column bolts (previously) and found no issues. Still at loss of what's wrong.

Senior Member 967 Rep Points koozy's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What year is your car? This was an issue for some with ‘14-15 MY.

Member 113 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    mine started doing that, then after a wile i could hear the brakes making noise, I jacked up the front left wheel pulled on the wheel... wheel bearings toast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast