Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Thread: Don't be me
8 Likes

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Don't be me

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My downpipe install went as follows:
    Jack car up, spray some lube, start to loosen bolts holding exhaust to downpipe. Round one bolt. OK no big deal I'll just cut it. Start cutting, ruin 3 metal blades trying to get at the bolt at an awkward angle. Finally get the one bolt off. 3 hours so far and it's 10pm on Friday night. Next day its raining, don't really feel like doing anything underneath the car (no garage, I'd get wet) but decide to put on a rain suit to get the other bolt off. This one was easy, 5 minutes underneath the car. Now to remove all the crap in the engine bay but again its raining so I go inside to do it the next day. Sunday rolls around, go to church, breakfast, etc. Need to finish my car so I can take it to work on Monday. I've watched all the videos available on YouTube for the downpipe install. No problem, a few bolts, take the heat shield off and I'm golden. I pull the intake off no problem and start my search for all the bolts holding the heat shield on. Eventually I've found most of them but it still won't come off. I'm switching going underneath the car and above the car and get tired quickly, as I'm in a rush to get this done. See another bolt, and in my head I'm just like "how did I miss that??" Turns out I remove the camshaft position sensor bolt. Get the rest of the bolts and wrestle with the heat shield for a good two hours. Eventually bent it into a ball out of frustration and toss it along with all the bolts. I can then remove the DP and put the new one on which goes flawlessly, not too much wrestling to get the old DP out. Install the new one, bolt up the exhaust, and fire it up. Sounds alright, a little louder which is what I was going for.
    Next day on the way to work. Notice check engine light. Pull over and took out my trusty bluetooth obd2 scanner and it gives a code for camshaft position sensor. Open the hood, see the wire connecting to the sensor looked like it broke a lil bit so I shove it back in and glue it. That had to of been it, maybe I just broke the sensor's connector? I can replace it later in the week. Start heading for work again, problems or anything so I stop at Sheetz for some breakfast and energy. Leave Sheetz, open road, so why not hear what it sounds like? Gun it through second and see a lot of what looked like rain splatter (since it had rained and the roads were wet) and thought nothing of it. Start slowing down, hear a little tick but I couldn't be sure, I have the radio on. Almost to work and pull up to a red light and the car dies. It didn't seem like it was acting up before that point. Try to start it and it sounds disgusting trying to start. Not good. Pull over and push it into a parking spot and open the hood. Oil everywhere in the engine bay. Oh man. Tow it to Hagerstown Ford, they say I need a new engine and it won't be covered under warranty. Why not? Because they had found a case from when I had my Cobb Accessport from my old Focus ST from 2 years ago. I use it to hold my medical supplies but they didn't care.
    Next day I had a dream and realized the stupid mistake I did. The bolt for the camshaft position sensor I forgot to put back in. So when I gunned it leaving Sheetz, the sensor ejected itself out of the engine bay and into oblivion which my engine did not like.
    I did end up buying a used motor from an Escape with only 10k miles for $950, and the shop down the road is putting it in for roughly $1200. There goes my savings for Big Turbo Time.

TLDR I was dumb and rushing myself to get a job done. Forgot to install everything BACK INTO the engine so of course it exploded and I'm out time, money, and my baby car.

Member 264 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 Likes

You now have a spare motor you can build up to take monster boost from your eventual big turbo kit now! lemons -> lemonade!

Senior Member 1063 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

This why I am happy that I'm Anal and a triple checker. Explains why I make a good nurse also.

Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do what I do - use a bunch of zip-lock bags to place your fasteners in and label them when you're doing anything even slightly complicated. Helps prevent forgetting, misplacing, or wondering what those "extra" fasteners are for.

New Member 5 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hagerstown Ford voided you because they found a Cobb box? Yikes. I bought my car there, if they ever saw it they'd have a heart attack I bet.

New Member 11 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, while the dealer shouldn't be denying your warranty for the reasoning they gave. Cause it's still your fault and all, but they can't deny you a warranty simply cause of a previous car you owned had a tune. I've filed intent to sue lawsuits against more dealers than I can count for very similar reasons.

New Member 5 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
    So, while the dealer shouldn't be denying your warranty for the reasoning they gave. Cause it's still your fault and all, but they can't deny you a warranty simply cause of a previous car you owned had a tune. I've filed intent to sue lawsuits against more dealers than I can count for very similar reasons.
    This dealer is a mess. Give you an example I got paperwork from DMV today where they were trying to get a duplicate title for the car I traded for my FiST. And nothing in the application to the DMV was correct (nor did they pay the fees). They also were trying to get the lien recorded from that car onto my current. Last I checked they were a Ford dealer, and didn't deal with Mazda Capital, and besides that loan was paid off. Not at all organized. I only know because DMV spit the paperwork back to me for lack of a check.

Member 93 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by TyphoonFiST View Post
    This why I am happy that I'm Anal and a triple checker. Explains why I make a good nurse also.

The excessive use of gifs was the give away. My wife is a nurse
    2016 Shadow Black Fiesta ST
    -Rally Armory Flaps-

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm confused, doesn't an aftermarket downpipe require a tune? Even if not, I would think once they saw what you installed, they would blame you anyways.

Edit: Another reason why I remain stock aside from wheels and mild stuff like RMM. I have a hard enough time sleeping at night as it is, no need adding to my anxiety.