Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Parking brake sticking.

So woke up to 20 degree weather today and my parking brake was locked up drove around and it didn't release. I was able to jack the car up and push on the lever and it unlocked. I pull it up again and it gets stuck again. Any sugestions?

OP
D
Thread Starter #2
Loosened the bolt for the assembly, unhooked and lubricated it. Pulled the e brake up all the way put it down and moved the cable in and out. Seems OK now

I haven’t had a look at the Fiesta handbrake yet, but on a ‘98 GTI I used to own, the rubber seals at the aft end of the cables failed, let in water, and allowed the cables to freeze up and prevent the brake from releasing. That might not apply here, but the symptoms are suspiciously familiar... handbrake sticking in cold weather.

Hope this helps,

FB

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
I haven’t had a look at the Fiesta handbrake yet, but on a ‘98 GTI I used to own, the rubber seals at the aft end of the cables failed, let in water, and allowed the cables to freeze up and prevent the brake from releasing. That might not apply here, but the symptoms are suspiciously familiar... handbrake sticking in cold weather.

Hope this helps,

FB
I checked the seals on the rear driver side that day thinking this may be an issue. They were fine. It was 5 degrees this morning and they are frozen up again! Looks like I'm going to have to throw parts at it. 2017 at about 43,000 miles. [?|]

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
I guess I'll have to take another look. It's just lightly dragging today. Does anyone have pictures of a disassembled caliper? It's almost like the return spring on the mechanism isn't pulling hard enough. Leads me to believe maybe it's internal.

I was able to pry the levers back on the GTI to release the park brake way back when... at least that fixed any brake drag until I replaced the cable boots.

FiST-99

I guess I'll have to take another look. It's just lightly dragging today. Does anyone have pictures of a disassembled caliper? It's almost like the return spring on the mechanism isn't pulling hard enough. Leads me to believe maybe it's internal.
i have this exact issue right now. Did you ever figure it out? Im thinking its something to do with the level mechanism not being lubricated properly maybe.