Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Have you re - painted your car? how much did it cost?

Flaco

2000 Post Club
Shadow Black is a non Metallic , you sure yours is not Tuxedo Black? Which is a Metalllic and a dope ass Black. I believe 2016 were Tuxedo Black , Shadow Black was starting in 2017.
I have a August built 2016 its Shadow Black and it has very fine blue and silver metal flake in the paint.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have a August built 2016 its Shadow Black and it has very fine blue and silver metal flake in the paint.
If you have Metal flake inthe paint its Tuxedo . Tuxedo Black was a 16 color and a Metallic . They switched to Shadow Black in 17 and its non metallic, check your color code.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
If you have Metal flake inthe paint its Tuxedo . Tuxedo Black was a 16 color and a Metallic . They switched to Shadow Black in 17 and its non metallic, check your color code.
Nope sir you are incorrect. I'm looking at my window sticker and it reads Shadow Black paint code is G1. From the 2016 Ford Paint Compatibility Chart its called " Absolute Black"

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #25
Don’t ruin the sweet green car man. I wish I had a green one.
Well, if you or someone else reeeaaallllyyy wants one (seriously):
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...fr/1395030321?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$13,5000 CAN. which in American I think is one bag of jelly beans.

52k km (32,000 miles) just like mine. Didn't buy that one because it has damage records for the rear left.

Bit of a drive for you though.

Don't worry about me re - painting my car. I was just kicking the idea around.

The plastidip stuff sounds like fun, especially since it won't damage / replace the actual paint underneath.
Could be interesting for a few months.

Edit: I just looked at their pics again, and remembered that they don't show the dials on the steering column when the engines running. Might be hiding a CEL ??

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well, if you or someone else reeeaaallllyyy wants one (seriously):
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...fr/1395030321?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$13,5000 CAN. which in American I think is one bag of jelly beans.

52k km (32,000 miles) just like mine. Didn't buy that one because it has damage records for the rear left.

Bit of a drive for you though.

Don't worry about me re - painting my car. I was just kicking the idea around.

The plastidip stuff sounds like fun, especially since it won't damage / replace the actual paint underneath.
Could be interesting for a few months.

Edit: I just looked at their pics again, and remembered that they don't show the dials on the steering column when the engines running. Might be hiding a CEL ??
I like that color but when I'm going a hundo....I don't wanna stick out in a crowd like a guy in a hat with an Orange bill that's for sure! [^]

Jerickson88

Nope sir you are incorrect. I'm looking at my window sticker and it reads Shadow Black paint code is G1. From the 2016 Ford Paint Compatibility Chart its called " Absolute Black"
Yep. I’ll post my window sticker tomorrow. Hell, a quick google shows when shadow black was introduced! I think dpro is under the impression that we are saying there’s major metallic showing in the paint. It’s very faint. Also googled Ford G1 Paint and the search showed Absolute Black/ Absolute Black Pearl.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well maybe you should check the paint on the manufacturing plate as per Fords own comments Shadow Black is a Non Metallic i.e. no metal flake whereas Tuxedo Black was a Metallic and had blue and Sllver metal flake. That is according to Ford about their colors.
I know the colors as I reseaeched them before buying my car as I bought my car two years after I stumbled across FiST’s.
I even had a friend who wanted one that was Tuxedo Black and then when I bought mine saw that they had changed it to Shadow Black and was dissapointed about the non Metallic
This was a Galpin Ford the largest Ford dealer in the country,

I am not incorrect about which paint color was what as I also compared Shadow Black cars on the lot to Metallic colors Like the Magnetic and The Orange Spice.

Guys Do not go by the window sticker go by the paint code on the chassis window stickers can be printed with mistakes.

Jerickson88

Well maybe you should check the paint on the manufacturing plate as per Fords own comments Shadow Black is a Non Metallic i.e. no metal flake whereas Tuxedo Black was a Metallic and had blue and Sllver metal flake. That is according to Ford about their colors.
I know the colors as I reseaeched them before buying my car as I bought my car two years after I stumbled across FiST’s.
I even had a friend who wanted one that was Tuxedo Black and then when I bought mine saw that they had changed it to Shadow Black and was dissapointed about the non Metallic

I am not incorrect about which paint color was what as I also compared Shadow Black cars on the lot to Metallic colors Like the Magnetic and The Orange Spice.

Guys Do not go by the window sticker go by the paint code on the chassis window stickers can be printed with mistakes.
I’m not stating that it has flake like a bass boat. It’s a very faint dusting thru the paint. You’d have to be probably less than 12” to notice.

I’ll stand corrected. It’s not metallic. It’s pearl. There’s a difference.

The cost of a refinnish is a subjective issue. Service replacement panels will not require extensive prep work to get into the spray booth. Scratched and dinged adjacent panels may require extensive sanding and primer or possibly heavy wet sanding to remove the original Finnish coat. Some parts might be removed and reworked for color and reinstalled post paint. My experiences would tell me a tri-coat respray should be around three grand, excluding metalwork and parts. A repaint of a repaint would be astronomically costly. Underwriters are totaling Fiesta's with over 25 thousand miles. So, I don't think that complete resprays of any damaged Fiesta's are a common occurrence.

Flaco

2000 Post Club

I am not incorrect about which paint color was what as I also compared Shadow Black cars on the lot to Metallic colors Like the Magnetic and The Orange Spice. Ford may say its non metallic. But there was flake in it when I bought it and flake in it after it was repainted.

Well there is very fine metal flake in Shadow Black as others have said and yes my car has been completely repainted after being damaged during Hurricane Erma in September 2017. I park next to a Tux FoST at work every day I can clearly see the difference. The flake in Tux is much larger with a lot gold in it. You have to be really close to Shadow to see the flake its very fine. And I can read paint codes because I have plenty of job experience in auto body/collision paint and restoration. Tux Black paint code is UH. Looking at my sales brochure for 2016 and no Tux black listed for FiST only Shadow.

Jerickson88

Well there is very fine metal flake in Shadow Black as others have said and yes my car has been completely repainted after being damaged during Hurricane Erma in September 2017. I park next to a Tux FoST at work every day I can clearly see the difference. The flake in Tux is much larger with a lot gold in it. You have to be really close to Shadow to see the flake its very fine. And I can read paint codes because I have plenty of job experience in auto body/collision paint and restoration. Tux Black paint code is UH. Looking at my sales brochure for 2016 and no Tux black listed for FiST only Shadow.
I think the best way to describe it is pearl. Metallic appears to be misleading. I can accept pearl.

It's a synthetic hybrid of metalflake and pearl. Manufactured by German firm Merck, KGaA. It is called Xirallic (pronounced. zer ral ik). Initially produced only in one factory in Japan. Unfortunately it was located near the Fukushima nuclear plant. So, in March 2011 that plant operation was wiped out. I'm aware that it is used in two shade formulations of black and three or four shade formulations of red. It's pretty special stuff.

Confusion is understandable regarding what black Finnish was used.....

Tux, shadow and a straight up, non "color effect " gloss black that temporarily replaced tux because of the sunami and subsequent nuclear power plant disaster in Japan in March of 2011. I always refer to those cars as "sunami black" Fiesta's. The door tag is the best reference as to what they used.