Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Have you re - painted your car? how much did it cost?

Hello!

I found a few old threads here, but they don't mention exact costs as far as I've seen.

I was thinking about what it would take to get my car re painted to "invert" the color scheme of my car.

It's a green envy color, with black racing stripes. So I was thinking gloss black, then striping the stripes off, leaving 2 green envy stripes on the car.

I've also been thinking about having two green stripes along the running boards.

So there's my questions from the title ^^

Also, has anyone managed to get a nice glossy sheen from plastidip?

That could be a much cheaper alternative.

PS I would likely leave painting the engine compartment, and the insides of the doors / hatch, or possibly use plastidip there.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
A legit repaint is likely over $1000.

A good pladtidip job can run like $300-500.

Plastidip is both cheaper and reversible.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

cxwrench

A legit repaint is likely over $1000.

A good pladtidip job can run like $300-500.

Plastidip is both cheaper and reversible.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
A 'legit' repaint is wayyyyyy over $1000.00. Probably more like 3-5 times that.

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #4
I figured A re paint would be a little over 1k.

But if you are saying 3x or more, would that be painting the engine compartment etc. to completely eliminate all traces of the factory color?

I was just watching some videos for plastidip.
Looks like if you buff your car afterwards, it actually looks like a legit paint job as well.
Some of the other ones look ... like plastic. Go figure.

I think I'm going to look more into plastidip, or other brands.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I figured A re paint would be a little over 1k.

But if you are saying 3x or more, would that be painting the engine compartment etc. to completely eliminate all traces of the factory color?

I was just watching some videos for plastidip.
Looks like if you buff your car afterwards, it actually looks like a legit paint job as well.
Some of the other ones look ... like plastic. Go figure.

I think I'm going to look more into plastidip, or other brands.
Costs of painting cars has gone up in the 8-9 years. You cannot get a decent paint job for 1k unless you live out in bumfuck nowhere.
Anywhere in greater LA is gonna start around 2k ? Wraps are $1500 not sure about Plasti dip ( might be thr same as a wrap) and I highly doubt you can get a whole car done for $400-500 plasti dipping wheels costs a 100-200 . Lol
You want jams and engine bay upwards of 3k mininum if not 4k.

Jerickson88

Costs of painting cars has gone up in the 8-9 years. You cannot get a decent paint job for 1k unless you live out in bumfuck nowhere.
Anywhere in greater LA is gonna start around 2k ? Wraps are $1500 not sure about Plasti dip ( might be thr same as a wrap) and I highly doubt you can get a whole car done for $400-500 plasti dipping wheels costs a 100-200 . Lol
You want jams and engine bay upwards of 3k mininum if not 4k.

I second this. It’s also all about how much prep you do as well. A friend of mine was going to do an SR swap (early 2000’s) in his 240sx. Wrecked the car but salvaged a ton of parts. Long story short, he bought a shell, gutted all of the interior and everything under the hood (legit, and even removed brake lines) had the whole car painted, engine bay, jambs, interior. Also had over fenders and a body kit molded in. Set him back 3k. Of course all it had was steelies, and factory suspension.

The plan you proposed for a color change would be a disaster. It would be far better to sell the green fist and buy a black fist, then add green stripes as desired.

Jerickson88

The plan you proposed for a color change would be a disaster. It would be far better to sell the green fist and buy a black fist, then add green stripes as desired.
Oh Jesus, I have a black FiST. I’d love a Green Envy one

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #10
Yeah there is no way I'd wan't to spend that much money to cover over a paint job that has nothing wrong with it.

I'm kicking this idea around for spring time, I definitely don't want to repaint my car spur of the moment.
I think at this point I've crossed off painting the car (permanently), but not the plastidip.

Maybe the $400 - $500 might be a diy cost??

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #12
It's a magical match made in heaven! And no relatively rare optional color Fiesta's would be harmed.
Nah, I'm just kicking ideas around.

I was looking at my car the other day, and Wondered about what it would look like if there was a jet glossy black, with green envy highlights.

I figured it would look super slick, or it would look like a can of monster energy drink.

The peel off paint option sounds good since it's easy to undo.
Or at least that's the idea that's floating around.

I think it's safe to say no Fiestas will be harmed

Good. My experience with the tri-coat color "effect" finnishes is one of high cost and tricky to apply. In 2012 I sprayed the Platinum white tri-coat color onto my 11 Fiesta hatchback as one of a two color stripe scheme for a promotional endeavor I was involved in. It came out looking spectacular. But, the two pints of pre reduced base coat and pearl coat from Auto touch-up .com cost almost $300 bucks. That was for ready to spray! I probably wouldn't have gone to such extreme effort if the client didn't have such deep pockets.

Good. My experience with the tri-coat color "effect" finnishes is one of high cost and tricky to apply. In 2012 I sprayed the Platinum white tri-coat color onto my 11 Fiesta hatchback as one of a two color stripe scheme for a promotional endeavor I was involved in. It came out looking spectacular. But, the two pints of pre reduced base coat and pearl coat from Auto touch-up .com cost almost $300 bucks. That was for ready to spray! I probably wouldn't have gone to such extreme effort if the client didn't have such deep pockets.
Talk about tricky to apply... i took mine (orange spice) to a Ford body shop and they couldn't match the original color at all...

Yes. Spot repairs are sometimes impossible. Panel shoots are most common. But , the shade matching is directly related to the skill level and lighting conditions of the painters

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Talk about tricky to apply... i took mine (orange spice) to a Ford body shop and they couldn't match the original color at all...
I'd bet there are many on here who would like to know how much YOUR full (and most excellent, it seems) re-spray set you back. [wink]

Jerickson88

Shadow Black is a non Metallic , you sure yours is not Tuxedo Black? Which is a Metalllic and a dope ass Black. I believe 2016 were Tuxedo Black , Shadow Black was starting in 2017.
Shit idk! There’s definitely a blue shimmer up close. I have the window sticker. I’ll take anlook

I also have green envy FiST. Love the color and would never repaint, but was thinking flat black wide vinyl stripes woul look awesome on your car.????????????

Ford Community Posts