Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

blown up 2017 fiesta st 7k miles

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I bought my car a few months back and got a good deal it being a new 2017 a month into owning it I put a cat back mbrp exhaust on it but that is all I was very happy with the car until a few days after my first oil change my car started making a knocking noise from the bottom of the engine I immediately took it to a ford dealer where it has been for 5 days who confirmed the noise and said there was metal shavings in the oil and I am just not sure what to do now has anyone heard of this happening or have any advice ?
Uh, what did the dealership say they're going to do about it? There's a lot you aren't saying. Was it a CPO car from a ford dealer? Private sale? Is it under warranty?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I bought my car a few months back and got a good deal it being a new 2017 a month into owning it I put a cat back mbrp exhaust on it but that is all I was very happy with the car until a few days after my first oil change my car started making a knocking noise from the bottom of the engine I immediately took it to a ford dealer where it has been for 5 days who confirmed the noise and said there was metal shavings in the oil and I am just not sure what to do now has anyone heard of this happening or have any advice ?
It happened a few days after my oil changed sounds like no oil or very little oil was put into it...IMO...
This should be covered by powertrain warranty...
The dealer may try to hid the true answer from you also.....FYI.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
I bought the car new from a dealer the dealer has put me in a rental but hasn't said much to me about it I had to call them for an update they just said they have to wait for a "ford tech line " to see what they are approved to do.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
What's the problem here - other than the "sound" and the shavings? 2017 should be under warranty I'd think. Unless you did something else, besides installing the exhaust, which you're not fessing up to, it should all be covered by the warranty.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I bought the car new from a dealer the dealer has put me in a rental but hasn't said much to me about it I had to call them for an update they just said they have to wait for a "ford tech line " to see what they are approved to do.
If they volunteered a loaner then they don't have any early indicators telling them it definitely won't be covered. That doesn't necessarily mean they're absolutely covering it, but it looks good. The fact they need to contact the ford tech line means a few things - 1) ford tech will probably tell them some things to look for to determine if you've abused it or modded it - 2) they'll need to work with ford tech to determine rebuild vs. replacement engine.

At this point, you have a loaner, don't be anxious and rush them. I don't know the laws in maryland but here in CA if your car is in for repair for over 30 days total, or repaired for the same issue 3 times within the first 18 months/18000 miles, the manufacturer has to replace the car. If you rush them the work might be rushed, or they'll be annoyed and can make the process more difficult for you. Just breathe, relax, and wait.

Also - never volunteer information unless they ask for it.

Do not post about this on social media, limit the info you post online in general ("I had this problem and I took it to the dealer", thats it) just wait for what they say.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for I'm 18 and this is my first new car so I'm just really nervous about everything. just wanted to get a feel of how others felt about the situation.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for I'm 18 and this is my first new car so I'm just really nervous about everything. just wanted to get a feel of how others felt about the situation.
Where did you get the oil changed?

They may (depending on the dealership) try calling you and ask leading questions to try to get you to admit you drive it really hard, raced it, etc. - in those instances, the proper response is either "No, I do not think so" or "I just drive it to and from work/school".

Since you are young, some dealerships might try to double dip by telling you that they've been authorized to cover XX% of it. Some shady dealerships do that so they can charge you, while also being fully reimbursed by the manufacturer. It happened to me, I got a quote in writing, and my lawyer got me a replacement car out of it. Whenever you talk to them, document whom you talked to, pertinent information like name/employee number/phone number, date/time, and transcribe the conversations as thoroughly as possible. You probably won't need this, but its better to have and not need than need and not have. In some states that don't allow you to record phone calls, time stamped transcriptions are admissible if it ever comes to court and your lawyer will wrap things up pretty quickly. My last case wasn't looking so great because the manufacturer didn't keep good documentation, but I was able to submit ~30 pages of transcribed conversations to my lawyer and the case was wrapped up within 10 days.

Never, ever, anticipate that someone is going to act in your best interests. "Trust but verify" are words that will never serve you wrong in your entire life.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
I work at a koons store but unfortunately it is not a ford store so they changed my oil on Friday and I took it back to them Monday when I heard the noise they put it on a lift said they heard the noise and it was coming from the bottom end gave me paperwork saying that then sent me to the closest ford store.