Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Senior Member 974 Rep Points koozy's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 Likes

Post Fact vs. Fiction: Explaining California’s New Exhaust Noise Law

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff
    https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2019...RDrE6QWpeh2HMY

Name:  34368882_10155983593443183_4367553866800037888_n.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  15.0 KB

Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30 days to correct the violation.

The Issue

California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824 was signed into law by then-Governor Jerry Brown in June of 2018 as part of the state’s budget process. The legislation amended how California law enforcement officials may issue a citation for exhaust noise violations.

The bill has generated significant concern within the industry and enthusiast community, along with some misinformation. This document seeks to clarify the matter. Most notably, enactment of A.B. 1824 did not change existing laws pertaining to exhaust noise or the sale and installation of aftermarket exhaust systems in California. Here are the facts.

Were California’s exhaust noise rules changed?

No. Since 2003, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824.

Is it now illegal to install an aftermarket exhaust system on my vehicle?

No. The sale and installation of an aftermarket exhaust system remains legal in California so long as it does not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under SAE J1169 and complies with all other exhaust and safety laws and regulations.

If exhaust noise laws didn’t change, what did?

Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30-days to correct the violation.

What are my options if I get a ticket?

Consumers in receipt of a ticket still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. BAR does not currently issue preemptive certificates of compliance.

If I get pulled over, will I receive a $1,000 fine?

According to the Judicial Council of California’s Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedules for 2019, the suggested base fine/fee for a first conviction is $25 with a total fee of $193.

I’ve still got questions?

Please contact Christian Robinson, SEMA’s Director of State Government Affairs & SEMA PAC, at stateleg@sema.org.

Member 158 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TY!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Senior Member 577 Rep Points Dpro's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks Koozy I was thinking of posting that, as I posted it on my Facebook wall.
    2018 Orange Spice,Smoke Storm Recaro’s,Ebony wheels( for now) Thermal RD Exhaust
    , Cobb AP( tune by Randy af Mountune, more customs to come,)ST200 airbox with cold air intake,Revo foam filter, Whoosh/Ramair crossover pipe ,Whoosh Intake Tube,Turbosmart EV blowoff valve, Whoosh motorsports Symposer delete

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somethings to be mindful of or not as upgrade paths are planned and executed.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koozy View Post
    Somethings to be mindful of or not as upgrade paths are planned and executed.
    Interesting you know that is old as it talks about carburetors.lol Whats even funnier is I would love to see a smog tech take the time to get a good look at our Turbo’s lol most are just gonna hook the car up to the OBDII reader if everything logs out ok off the ecu they will call it a day. I have a 2012 Focus that needed a smog when purchased. Thats all the guy did.

Not saying that someone might get a guy that wants to go the distance but truthfully our cars fly enough under the radar most will just hook it up and run the test.

So its really Caveat empor...
    You take your chances or not. I am not excessively worried as its now 6-7 years out for me.. lol
    2018 Orange Spice,Smoke Storm Recaro’s,Ebony wheels( for now) Thermal RD Exhaust
    , Cobb AP( tune by Randy af Mountune, more customs to come,)ST200 airbox with cold air intake,Revo foam filter, Whoosh/Ramair crossover pipe ,Whoosh Intake Tube,Turbosmart EV blowoff valve, Whoosh motorsports Symposer delete

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fact vs. Fiction: Explaining California’s New Exhaust Noise Law

It’s old but is still applied. The rules have not changed much and slow to change.

There are still some carburated cars from the ‘80’s still running around that the rules apply to.

Even though many won’t have to worry for several years, those years will be here soon. Time flies.

I’m not one who likes to unbolt/bolt back every few years. So my mods are carefully selected on being able to pass tests and roadside checks. I got tagged before and don’t want to play that game again. My time is better spent elsewhere. I’m not a young buck in my 20’s, 30’s, or 40’s anymore willing to play silly games lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by koozy View Post
    It’s old but is still applied. The rules have not changed much and slow to change.

There are still some carburated cars from the ‘80’s still running around that the rules apply to.

Even though many won’t have to worry for several years, those years will be here soon. Time flies.

I’m not one who likes to unbolt/bolt back every few years. So my mods are carefully selected on being able to pass tests and roadside checks. I got tagged before and don’t want to play that game again. My time is better spent elsewhere. I’m not a young buck in my 20’s, 30’s, or 40’s anymore willing to play silly games lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh ya feel you there most of my mods are carefully selected to draw the least attention. Hence my ST200 Airbox.
    Though I am not to worried about Smog techs digging deep as long as things look relatively stock they are happy.