Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flip's Build

First time ever doing a build thread - but here it goes:

2017 Fiesta ST - Magnetic Gray
- Currently at 6100 Miles. (January '19)

Currently used as a weekend toy - drag racing & track days @ VIR.

Tires/Whees:
König Dekagram 16x8 Wheels
BFG Sport Comp 2 Tires 205/45ZR16

Suspension/Chassis:
Swift Spec-R Springs
SPC Performance EZ Cam XR Bolts
TB Performance Traction Bar
TB Performance Torsion Bar

Engine:
Cobb RMM
Cobb Catted DP
Cobb AP with Stratified Tune (E30/93/91)
2JR Intake
NGK 6510 Plugs- LTR7IX-11 (1 step colder)
2015 Evap Harness: D2BZ-9C047-E
Whoosh Intercooler (v1)
Whoosh Symposer Delete
Whoosh Silicone Boost Pipes w/t-bolt clamps
Mountune Silicone Coolant Hoses
Damond Motorsports OCC
Muffler Delete with Vibrant Resonator

Transmission:
Whoosh Shift Cable Bushings
Whoosh Short Shift Bracket

Fluids:
Shell Rotella T6 10w-40
Motul 300 75w-90
ATE Typ 200 DOT 4
Distilled water with Purple Ice

Interior:
Innovate Motorsports Ethanol Content Gauge
DIY 3D Printed Gauge Pod

Immediate Plans:
More aggressive alignment
Big/Hybrid Turbo (Leaning towards the GTX2860R, but waiting for news on the X57r or Whoosh Hybrid. Also eyeballing the x47r..)
Whoosh v2 or CPE intercooler
Uprated Brake Pads

Future Plans:
LSD
WMI
Stratified Guardian Angel
2.75-3" exhaust
Catless DP
Coilovers
Oil cooler (DIY build)
Radiator

Possibilites:
Aux Fuel

IfBhGZd.jpg

wPCqA5C.jpg

Last edited:
OP
flip314
Thread Starter #3
Nope. No signs yet.

I haven’t had a chance to track it or push it that hard since I installed the swift springs though.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Cool build (looks GREAT with that wheel/tire setup, and ride height! [thumb]), but that Rotella oil is a bit too thick for these engines (I know it is a Scoobie Doo fave swill), and you may even be leaving some power (pumping losses) on the table with that viscosity, with no greater protection than a good, mid-viscosity 5W-20/30 full synthetic.

Now of course, IF you were using it for open tracking ONLY, in the southwest summer blast furnace conditions, it would be a good choice. ;)

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #5
The car doesn't see temps south of 40 degrees, but I have been considering switching to a 5w30. But for $20/gallon, the T6 just seemed like a solid choice. Maybe I'll quit being a cheapskate and give the Motul 8100 a go when I swap the turbo. :)

Cool build (looks GREAT with that wheel/tire setup, and ride height! [thumb]), but that Rotella oil is a bit too thick for these engines (I know it is a Scoobie Doo fave swill), and you may even be leaving some power (pumping losses) on the table with that viscosity, with no greater protection than a good, mid-viscosity 5W-20/30 full synthetic.

Now of course, IF you were using it for open tracking ONLY, in the southwest summer blast furnace conditions, it would be a good choice. ;)

Nope. No signs yet.

I haven’t had a chance to track it or push it that hard since I installed the swift springs though.
Got it - could you update the thread if you run into any rubbing after the springs settle? Been trying to figure out what tires to run on the Dekagrams and thought 50 series would be too tall with their offset.

Also, did you put a plug in place of the antenna? Looks great.

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #7
Sure thing!
As far as the antenna goes - I had a plastic screw/trim piece left over from my BMW project laying around. I just trimmed the screw part off and let it self-thread right into the brass antenna union. Not exactly perfect, but close enough for free! lol.

Got it - could you update the thread if you run into any rubbing after the springs settle? Been trying to figure out what tires to run on the Dekagrams and thought 50 series would be too tall with their offset.

Also, did you put a plug in place of the antenna? Looks great.
IMG_4503.jpg

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #8
Actually, I just ran out to the garage to check. Tires are 205/45/16 - not 50. My bad!

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #9
Just sold the Whoosh v1 intercooler, and ordered the CP-e from Panda. Too good a deal to pass up.

Looks a bit empty for now... :) rrxCbgW.jpg

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #10
Pulled the turbo and manifold yesterday. The drivers side coolant line mounting bracket was a PITA. Otherwise, pretty uneventful.
Waiting to hear back from Tasca on the manifold studs as some sites are reporting that part # is discontinued. (W715309-S300)

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Pulled the turbo and manifold yesterday. The drivers side coolant line mounting bracket was a PITA. Otherwise, pretty uneventful.
Waiting to hear back from Tasca on the manifold studs as some sites are reporting that part # is discontinued. (W715309-S300)
Interesting that other sites are saying they're discontinued. My Ford parts catalog shows it still under the part # you've mentioned and no sign of discontinuation. We have 9 in stock so Tasca should have some!

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #12
Thanks! I was thinking about using Stage8 bolts - but didn't want to hose with the locking fasteners there. Nord-lock washers are a lot cheaper.. :)

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #13
I've been tinkering in the garage and ordering a few parts.

Still waiting on the CP-E intercooler from Panda. They said there was an issue at CP-E with the brackets, and I know CP-E recently moved and is working on getting back to full capacity - so it's understandable. My car is still apart, so I'm not in a rush.

Haven't pulled the trigger on a turbo yet, as details on the X57r are still pretty sparse. HURRY UP PUMASPEED![wave]

I'll probably end up picking up exhaust manifold bolts from stage8 (https://www.stage8.com/product/6101-1-9l-and-2-0l-ford-header-kit/) - as it's about the same price as new OEM manifold studs and nuts.
Might look at them for turbo hardware as well - but leaning towards just using Nord-Lock washers as they're much more cost effective.

Speaking of exhaust manifolds, I'll be ordering the AET ported one from Whoosh here in the near future - but waiting on the turbo to see what size I'll need. I'm thinking if I go with the GTX2860R, I'll get a 42mm port and then have the v-band adapter machined to match.. Since the X57R is reportedly stock fitment, I'm not sure of the flange size....

Also debating on having the manifold ceramic coated, or just using header wrap.. It looks like PITA to wrap though...

Progress:
Ordered the Whoosh v2 catless downpipe - ceramic coated goodness. (+1 for Ron's customer service!)
Picked up a used 2JR side exit exhaust. I'm hoping there's enough of a straight run to weld in a small bullet muffler, not a YUUGE deal if there's not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Made my catch can VTA. (I really need to get abrasion sleeves for those hoses...)
Pieced together a 180 bend to make the vacuum line from the 2JR intake fit. (First time using Oetiker clamps.. hot damn those are awesome.)
Installed the fuel line sensor for the Ethanol content gauge, and got everything wired up. (I designed and printed the vent mount.. It's up on Thingiverse here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3369423 )

Hopefully there will be some significant progress in the next few weeks.. Did I mention, hurry up Pumaspeed?

Oh, and I'm mulling over the idea of fabbing up a cold side charge pipe, since I have a gaping hole where the stock intake box used to sit. I can run a straight shot from the IC hose up to the throttle body. Would be nice to put the BOV right there. But I'm not setup to weld stainless or aluminum. Might try brazing aluminum, but I've never done that before..

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #14
Made a bunch of progress this past week or so.

- ATP GTX2860R kit
- Tial MVS 2.5 WGA
- Thermal Zero Turbo Blanket
- Ordered a bunch of AN fittings and line to replace the kinda crappy ATP coolant connections.
- Ordered some replacement silicone elbows to reach the 2JR intake
- CP-E Exhale with Tial Q BOV
- The Tial v-band clamp is a PITA, but otherwise.. top notch from both Tial and CP-E
- CP-E has some of the best instructions and packaging around
- Stratified Guardian Angel
- Fabbed up a bracket an did all the wiring

Whoosh just shipped the AET ported exhaust manifold, so that should be arriving this week. I'll need to get the ATP adapter and manifold over to the machine shop to have that ported out to 42mm. I thought about having the ATP downpipe adapter cleaned up and matched, but after looking at it more - there's no way to remove the adapter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really looking forward to getting the car off jack stands soon! Hoping CP-E finishes up their dyno setup in the next few weeks, or I'll have to look at e-tuning.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Made a bunch of progress this past week or so.

- ATP GTX2860R kit
- Tial MVS 2.5 WGA
- Thermal Zero Turbo Blanket
- Ordered a bunch of AN fittings and line to replace the kinda crappy ATP coolant connections.
- Ordered some replacement silicone elbows to reach the 2JR intake
- CP-E Exhale with Tial Q BOV
- The Tial v-band clamp is a PITA, but otherwise.. top notch from both Tial and CP-E
- CP-E has some of the best instructions and packaging around
- Stratified Guardian Angel
- Fabbed up a bracket an did all the wiring

Whoosh just shipped the AET ported exhaust manifold, so that should be arriving this week. I'll need to get the ATP adapter and manifold over to the machine shop to have that ported out to 42mm. I thought about having the ATP downpipe adapter cleaned up and matched, but after looking at it more - there's no way to remove the adapter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really looking forward to getting the car off jack stands soon! Hoping CP-E finishes up their dyno setup in the next few weeks, or I'll have to look at e-tuning.
What did you not like about the ATP coolant fittings?

OP
flip314
Thread Starter #16
What did you not like about the ATP coolant fittings?
They plumb back into the OEM rubber lines using some really cheap AN to barb adapters. I felt more comfortable using a tee and quality AN fittings coming off the supply, and extending the return line up further and using better fittings there as well.

I'm sure they would've been fine, but spending a few extra bucks to minimize points of failure seemed prudent to me.

I'll post some pics to better explain once all the parts arrive.